simicsko

Arma 3 - Tank control problem in multiplayer

Hi All!

I have a problem in multiplayer:

My son and I used to play by starting a server (HOST SERVER / LAN) and connecting to it with his computer. When we go with tanks, we both sit in a tank. There is a crew in both tanks, but I leave a place in both tanks so that we can sit inside. If I sit in the tank instead of the GUNNER, I can start with it, I can drive with it and in the meantime I can move the turret and I can shoot with it. However, when my son sits in the tank instead of the GUNNER, he can only rotate and shoot with the turret, he cannot move with the tank, even though he is defined as exactly the same player as me. You can only drive and shoot with it if the occupants are previously assigned to it as a group/team in the editor. I just sit in and go/shoot.

I believe that this difference may be caused by some game setting...

So the question is:

What needs to be set so that the player on the machine connected to the server running on my machine can use the tank in the same way as me?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, an idea is instead of creating a new tank with its own crew and setting up the crew like your tank is,

just copy and paste your exact setup and then set the player your son is to be as playable, that should work.

Just make sure that if you want your son to have full command like you of the guns and such that his unit character is not automatically being grouped

to the other units in the tank he's in because then he may lose command or the ability to have free access to do the same as you.

You can turn off automatic grouping in the editor go to settings at the top, then to preferences, then down to misc and it will

say "Automatic Grouping", uncheck that box and they wont be automatically grouped together when you place them.

If thats not the issue then at least it would eliminate a possible issue that could occur because of the group/rank hierarchy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

Just make sure that if you want your son to have full command like you of the guns and such that his unit character is not automatically being grouped

to the other units in the tank he's in because then he may lose command or the ability to have free access to do the same as you.

I think what Gunter is saying here is essentially "make sure his unit is the group leader." If not, then he will not be able to control the vehicle fully from the gunner seat. I just tested all permutations of grouping and that was my conclusion.

• Like 1

That or make sure that hes the leader of the group, if hes the officer or commander of the tank then something you can do is

get into the tank as the commander and then tell everyone else to get into the tank.

From there switch seats, you should be able to command the other ai to drive while you gun, another option is you drive and

and then use the 2,2 i think it is the target list and pick out targets for your ai gunner, and then when hes locked on the target then 3,1

On 8/28/2022 at 6:47 AM, Gunter Severloh said:

Hi, an idea is instead of creating a new tank with its own crew and setting up the crew like your tank is,

just copy and paste your exact setup and then set the player your son is to be as playable, that should work.

You can turn off automatic grouping in the editor go to settings at the top, then to preferences, then down to misc and it will

say "Automatic Grouping", uncheck that box and they wont be automatically grouped together when you place them.

If thats not the issue then at least it would eliminate a possible issue that could occur because of the group/rank hierarchy.

The playable characters are not grouped with anything, I am convinced of this. We discovered something interesting:

We create a simple mission on my son's machine with two identical playable characters. Both characters are squad leaders and their rank is sergeant. That's enough to control the tank crew, right?

We put into two tanks and removed the commander from both tanks so we could sit inside.

In this case, my son who hosted the mission was able to control and shoot while sitting in the tank, but I could not.

So I think there is some Server/kilens issue here.

Any ideas?

16 hours ago, Harzach said:

I think what Gunter is saying here is essentially "make sure his unit is the group leader." If not, then he will not be able to control the vehicle fully from the gunner seat. I just tested all permutations of grouping and that was my conclusion.

The playable characters are sqad leaders. It's also a group leader, right?

So if I sit in a tank as a squad leader, do I have enough rights to control the tank's crew?

What i would suggest is checking the ranks of the AI crew and make sure they are below yours, also you could just group the ai

crew to you so that you do have command of them, or the driver.

What kind of tank is it vanilla, or mod and how many seats are being occupied by AI, just the driver, or another like loader and radio operator?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

What i would suggest is checking the ranks of the AI crew and make sure they are below yours, also you could just group the ai

crew to you so that you do have command of them, or the driver.

What kind of tank is it vanilla, or mod and how many seats are being occupied by AI, just the driver, or another like loader and radio operator?

It is certain that our rank is higher than the tank crew, since our rank is sergeant and they are private by default.

Grouping works naturally for my son, but if, for example, his team is sitting in the tank and in another vehicle and he gives a DISEMBARK command, his team will get out of all vehicles, and thus also out of the tank. Issuing the command one by one is quite inconvenient.

The Tank type is Slammer (NATO tank), although now that I've installed the ACE3 and RHS MODs, it's called Merkava.

The question remains, why does the tank work without grouping for the machine running the mission, while the connected client machine does not? What could cause this? What can be configured to work on all machines?

On 8/29/2022 at 3:31 AM, simicsko said:

The playable characters are sqad leaders. It's also a group leader, right?

Just selecting the squad leader unit type does not make it the leader of its group. As Gunter says above, make sure all relevant units are grouped to your player units such that the player units are the leaders of their respective groups.

Dg9ojr1.png

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Harzach said:

Just selecting the squad leader unit type does not make it the leader of its group. As Gunter says above, make sure all relevant units are grouped to your player units such that the player units are the leaders of their respective groups. 

Dg9ojr1.png

I made a video so you can see the scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmP2lrR1EbM  (The video is in HD quality, now rendering by YouTube)

The video shows that my player character can control the tank crew from the commander's and gunner's seats without grouping.

In the mission, my son's playable character is set up the same way, yet he cannot control the tank crew. You can only control the tank crew by grouping them.

What makes this difference? (If you want, I can also make a video on my son's computer)

OK, here is what's going on.

You can only control the tank fully if the crew is local to your machine. Since you are hosting the server, all AI is local to you by default. You "own" your son's crew members. This is why they need to be grouped to his unit - AI in a player's group is local to them.

So, again, you need to group your crews to the player units.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Harzach said:

Your video is set to private.

Sorry bro. I set it up. Try again. 😉

8 hours ago, Harzach said:

OK, here is what's going on.

You can only control the tank fully if the crew is local to your machine. Since you are hosting the server, all AI is local to you by default. You "own" your son's crew members. This is why they need to be grouped to his unit - AI in a player's group is local to them.

So, again, you need to group your crews to the player units.

Is this the only way to solve this? So there is no server-level setup for this? Isn't it possible to extend this capability to client machines?

1 hour ago, simicsko said:

Is this the only way to solve this? So there is no server-level setup for this? Isn't it possible to extend this capability to client machines?

The general locality of AI? It's engine-level. The solution is painfully simple, why are you so resistant to it?

I'm sure there's a one-man-tank script or mod out there you could use. Another option would be to have each client spawn their own crew - AI can be local to the machine that executes createGroup/createUnit. 

15 minutes ago, Harzach said:

The general locality of AI? It's engine-level. The solution is painfully simple, why are you so resistant to it?

I'm sure there's a one-man-tank script or mod out there you could use.

Ohhh... I understand this...

Don't think bad. 🙂

It would just be simpler to have this part of the game if it worked that way on both machines. Grouping is a problem if I have a larger group in which there is another vehicle besides the tank and I issue a DISEMBARK command. At this time, the group members get out of the other vehicle and also from the tank. However, this on-man-tank script or mod is a good idea. I'll look around to see if I can find one. Both Gunter and you thank you for your help. 😉

4 minutes ago, simicsko said:

if it worked that way on both machines

You missed my edit. You can make AI local to a machine by creating them there.

2 minutes ago, Harzach said:

So, using a script, is it possible to create an AI unit that will be local on the client machine?

2 hours ago, Harzach said:

thanks for the idea. We also have the solution:

setgroupOwner

My son's playable character name: Bravo_1

Tank group's name: Tank2_Group

I set this to run when Bravo_1 joins the mission:

Tank2_Group setGroupOwner (owner Bravo_1);

So once Bravo_1 gets in this tank, he can control the crew without grouping. He can shoot and drive at the same time. 🙂