polarbear416

Ultra newbie question

I have been able to create some pretty good basic scenarios now. Not doing anything fancy, but just using prefabs to create different situations.

My ultra basic question is how to I learn what's possible to do with different managers, components, etc? What components can go on what entities? What the object parameters are?

For example, by trial and error I figured out that I could set formation to "line" or "column" as well as wedge, but could I have looked that up somewhere? Where would I see the complete list of what's possible?

And while I can see that it's possible to add a bunch of components to things, how do I learn which do what? Like, what components can actually be attached to a waypoint, or to a group? And what options there are? Is there any way to see some level of definition or how things fit together or what they do?

Do you just need to be in the inside to find these things out or is there some way I can answer these kinds of questions for myself without just scouring YouTube videos and such?

I saw there are various resources and tutorials but they're mostly around the fundamental principles and such and not just documenting all the functionality that's available in different managers, components, prefabs 

Hi, indeed there are many components and it's true that many of them are not documented externally. I think best options to figure out what a component does is this:
- Components themselves might have a brief description of what they do if you hover on them in 'Add component' tab.
- Component properties might have description if you hover on them
- You can try to open script file of that component, it might be documented there.
- Look up how it's used on an existing game feature or prefab (although I am not sure what's best way to find prefabs using a specific component).

Also, the nature of a component is that it can be attached to any entity, but in some cases it might make no sense because it requires some other component. Imagine if you create a component which just moves entity along a line, then you could attach it to anything, not necessarily only to a group or waypoint.

Another approach is to start with question "what do I want to achieve", instead of looking at a thousand of components, then ask that and one of devs might point at required components or solution.