Sign in to follow this  
Reticuli

I noticed magazine weight is generally inaccurate in Arma 3, was told Arma 3 doesn't even bother with ammo use weight, and I have a solution...

Magazines seem to be roughly half the weight they should be when full, and also don't reduce weight as they have rounds used from them.  

I have no idea what the actual variables are that Arma 3 code uses, but here's an example solution:

MagRoundsRemaining / MagRoundsCountMax * MagWeight + MagWeight = The Used Mag Weight when playing & running around.

What do you think?

• Confused 1

Hmm... I think you may have just set the forum record for the lengthiest tittle.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Reticuli said:

weight

Mass. It's an arbitrary* value based on weight and volume.

- not derived from real-world units of measure

• Like 1

Volume does not change weight... not unless the thing you're measuring is no longer on the scale.

7 hours ago, Reticuli said:

Volume does not change weight... not unless the thing you're measuring is no longer on the scale.

Simpler this time.

Things in Arma do not have weight, they have "mass," which is an arbitrary value representing weight and volume.

It is arbitrary in that different categories of items are calculated on different scales. For example, a 100-round belt of 6.5mm caseless has a mass value of 25, while a 1000-round belt of 30mm HE has a mass of 8. So, does a Mk200 magazine weigh more than three times that of the A-164 cannon? No. But player/unit inventory items are measured on a scale where a 30-round mag of 5.56 has a mass of 8, while vehicles have their own scale.

For context, if such an inventory item existed that was, say, a giant stuffed animal filled with styrofoam packing material, its mass would be relatively high due to its volume, and despite its relatively low weight.

As for calculating a player's total "real" burden (counting rounds in mags), I don't see a reason why you couldn't. You just need to keep in mind that it isn't weight you are dealing with.

But then, this isn't the correct forum for this conversation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How does the listed weights under ACE Arsenal change these calculations when using ACE?  The Discord ACE 3 people already said that the issue they deal with in putting down things like mag weights is that Arma 3 doesn't care how many rounds are even in the mag.