Hey guys and gals,

I'm working on a mission that involves an assault on an airfield by AI units and I want to have some helis in the air to provide CAS and stuff but cos its an airfield its like they won't fire and just fly around until they get shot down? I'm wondering is there a script or something I can put in a trigger to make them "ignore" the fact its an aifield?

TIA

Hello,

Airfields are not specific places except for aircraft landing (planes not helos). There is no reason your AIs see airfields in a different way from houses or cities. So the question is what are your targets for CAS?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, pierremgi said:

Hello,

Airfields are not specific places except for aircraft landing (planes not helos). There is no reason your AIs see airfields in a different way from houses or cities. So the question is what are your targets for CAS?

Not sure whats happening so, basically I have 4 x heli's fly into an AO before a ground assault to take an airfield but its like that heli's won't target the ENY vics or EI.

Hi,

if you refer to the editor then try increasing their skill, that way they will also spot enemies much quicker. One more thing you could do is to move the helos into one group, so they spot enemies and share it with the other ones. Or you could bring in a bit of scripting and use commands such as reveal

So I switched the heli to a UH-1 with door gunners, the door gunners fired ok but the pilot and co-pilot did not fire for some reason and the heli was blown up by an ENY HMG.

1 hour ago, BikerJoe said:

basically I have 4 x heli's fly into an AO

How are you setting this up? What types of waypoints are you using? Etc. Don't be afraid to share information.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Harzach said:

How are you setting this up? What types of waypoints are you using? Etc. Don't be afraid to share information.

The Helis start on the ground with a move waypoint linked to a trigger set to a radio command, the next waypoint is a move waypoint to a position close to the airfield, the final waypoint is a seek & destroy.

I'm just thinking could LAMBS be interfering somehow and stopping the helis from firing?

17 minutes ago, BikerJoe said:

I'm just thinking could LAMBS be interfering somehow and stopping the helis from firing?

Difficult to say. Lambs alters FSMs but usually in a right way. You can test without it.

For an AI, firing depends on the target(s) acquisition, the nature of the target(s), the armament (current weapon turret), the distance, the nature of the waypoint, the skill (so the FSMs)...

With poor idea of your scenario, it's impossible to predict anything.

For example, you will not obtain the same result, playing vanilla simple scenario on an open field, compared with a ultra-modded scenario (ACE,Lambs,+ CUP/RHS...) on a full of object city and more or less covert targets.

As UnDeaD. wrote, you can accelerate the target acquisition by reveal (if you did, it's time for sharing your code).

Don't try to obtain a pure "realistic" CAS, in Arma it's just impossible, AIs are not "clever", not seeing, not thinking, not aiming... There are just codes interacting in a scheduler, more or less in right order.

So, you can help with codes for  making helo skilled, invulnerable or captive, temporarily or not.

• Like 1