Sign in to follow this  
dkraver

Bis bmp's vs new bmp's

It have been mentioned a lot of times that the two BMP's from BIS are out of scale. Bigger than they should be. If there where to be made a new BMP-1 & BMP-2 with a little more detail and with the right size to match other player made addons, which are made from real dimensions, mostly other eastern hardware. And for this vote think of the new one's as if they would at least have the same quality than the BIS one's. Would you then still use the BIS BMP's in your missions or would you use the new one's?? Well that the question so give your vote and if you need to make a post aswell.

in a MPmissions i'd use the BIs ones cose if else they players have to download it.

in SPmissions i would use them for my own(if they r good thumbs-up.gif

Have you seen a real BMP?

I have to say that after one year playing flashpoint and so get used to it´s size I was very surprised when I saw one ( I touched it...so you can see how close I saw it tounge.gif ) in Duxford tanks Hangar.

It is Massive....it´s its shape what might have lead you to think it should be smaller.

I think they have the scale right smile.gif

would I use a new on scale bmp with a realistic gun and stuff wink.gif ??.......HELL YEAH!!!

also if youll make it so the troops can be on top of it (like on the btr70) than itll rock

I think that the BMP-1 is the right size but the the BMP-2 in OFP has the same chassi as the BMP-1 which is wrong.

BIS only changed the turret when they released the BMP-2.

BMP-1

BMP-2

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Have you seen a real BMP?<span id='postcolor'>

Yub i have seen one i have even been inside one playing with the turret. Im 1.86cm and when standing beside a Polish BMP-1 i could have my arm on the main deck/body without lifting the arm above my shoulder. I have picture of this and will post it as soon as i find a place to put it.

They are out of scale. They're also out of proportion. I'm currently working on more accurate versions. I'm sure others are too.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (dkraver @ Feb. 21 2003,00:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Have you seen a real BMP?<span id='postcolor'>

Yub i have seen one i have even been inside one playing with the turret. Im 1.86cm and when standing beside a Polish BMP-1 i could have my arm on the main deck/body without lifting the arm above my shoulder. I have picture of this and will post it as soon as i find a place to put it.<span id='postcolor'>

1.86cm? Man, your even small for a leprechaun! tounge.gif

Guest ####

I always thought they were a little high, never seen a bmp upclose but Soviet vehicle were notorious for the low siloette. I also imagine passenger comfort was a secondary or after thought.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sigma-6 @ Feb. 21 2003,03:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">They are out of scale. They're also out of proportion. I'm currently working on more accurate versions. I'm sure others are too.<span id='postcolor'>

Well, I was about to vote yes. Now, however, some people will be using BMP by addon maker 1, others a BMP by addon makers 2, 3 or 4.

If none of them are absolutely superb in texture quality and in accurate weapons and armor attributes, I will stick to the originals.

You changed my vote.

I just measured sizes of our BMP... and you are right. They are out of scale. Now it is 7.87 m long, 2.66 high and 3.6 meters wide. But it should be 6.7 x 2.13 x 2.74. We probably badly recalculated feets to meters smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Araon @ Feb. 21 2003,10:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I just measured sizes of our BMP... and you are right. They are out of scale.  Now it is 7.87 m long, 2.66 high and 3.6 meters wide. But it should be 6.7 x 2.13 x 2.74. We probably badly recalculated feets to meters smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I bet you previously worked on the Mars Orbiter program. tounge.gif

Ok here's the picture i talked about. And yes ofcourse its 1.86m and not cm  smile.gif

bmp.jpg

hmmm where a bit chunky then hehe

To theavonlady the vote was about if there where to be made One that was at least as good as the original BIS model but with the right size.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (dkraver @ Feb. 21 2003,11:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hmmm where a bit chunky then hehe<span id='postcolor'>

Both of you. tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">To theavonlady the vote was about if there where to be made One that was at least as good ad the original BIS model but with the right size.<span id='postcolor'>

If it's not better than BIS' ingame BMPs and it's just a scale modification, then I vote NO.

Think of all the missions that already use the existing BMPs.

Besides, now that BIS has admitted to the little booboo, I hope they'll update the BMP in the near future. Shouldn't take much to do.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Araon @ Feb. 21 2003,09:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I just measured sizes of our BMP... and you are right. They are out of scale.  Now it is 7.87 m long, 2.66 high and 3.6 meters wide. But it should be 6.7 x 2.13 x 2.74. We probably badly recalculated feets to meters smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Fixed in the next patch?

I have made a thread about this size problem before. If someone makes BMPs in their proper size, and they have good textures, I would certainly use them. If someone makes new BMPs, please include accurate weapon information like in AaronAsh's armor pack!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Feb. 21 2003,11:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Besides, now that BIS has admitted to the little booboo, I hope they'll update the BMP in the near future. Shouldn't take much to do.<span id='postcolor'>

I don´t think it´s BIS "policy" to update their old models, they haven´t done it to the T-72 or ANY other vehicles or weapons. All of the equipment in OFP is inaccurate in one way or another, to be honest. confused.gif

That´s why I voted "yes", since I love addons that improve the realism of old, basic OFP stuff. Say BIS did update the BMP, it would still have a generic "mgun" etc.

And they would have to update everything else while they´re at it tounge.gif

I have always used AaronAsh´s -R BMP-1 in my missions.

I think DKRaven you won crazy.gif But we'll still think of it twice. I don't promise anything.

2All He knows what I'm about.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (dkraver @ Feb. 21 2003,10:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ok here's the picture i talked about. And yes ofcourse its 1.86m and not cm  smile.gif

bmp.jpg

hmmm where a bit chunky then hehe

To theavonlady the vote was about if there where to be made One that was at least as good as the original BIS model but with the right size.<span id='postcolor'>

If that is a real BMP I'll never go to the army biggrin.gif Why ? 'Cos I won't fit it tounge.gif It's TOO small for me.

Just a little thing so people can see the difference.

bmp.jpg

bmp2.jpg

thats such a huge difference that something really needs to be done

also isnt the M113 model not to accurate

and on the Bradley i dont know about size and accuracy of the model but i do know that the drivers hatch opens too far and that the TOW launchers need to be retractable

Guest BratZ

I like accurate units too.But I notice If I build my plane to specs,they are huge...My dude is little in it.

I think they did OK on the BMP as its not huge,but from the pics its quite large.

I would use new units,space is crucial in formations and of course ,future plans of AirCraft Carrier and such.I'd prefer the right sized units.The measurements in O2 is good for base scale.But I think everything would end up huge.

People have to size their stuff in general compared to the soldiers in the game.

This is BIS forum... maybe we could ask BIS to make any patch correcting sizes of their addons? There is then a chance this patch would be used by everyone, as well as it would be easier for BIS people (they have no problems with reaching their models as well as all work is only to resize them a little bit.

Hope somebody from BIS would be able to read it and place his opinion... :] Guys - please - it's a little work, but worth giving 1.92 patch with fixed sizes... :]

Yes, i can talk in the name of the hungarian scene, and we all really would like to see, that BIS make a patch to the BMP-s. It would be really nice..!

If BIS not make any changes, then some addonmaker, should do, because the game needs smaller BMP-s. It's to easy to hit a BMP, with a tank, even if it's bypassing... crazy.gif

CU!