Sign in to follow this  
bent.toe

My opinions and feedback to the developers (long thread)

Hi community and developers.

Love the game and most of us are grateful to finally be able to play the Arma series on console.

But ..and it's a big but. Developers need to look at other fps games and how they successfully adapted the control scheme to work with a game pad. Going your own way thinking this will be intuitive or groundbreaking in fluid controls...usually don't work.

We as console players are used to the most universal layout used in shooters..it goes like this:

(Only using Xbox layout this time around)

A = jump/vault

B = crouch/prone

X = reload/interact

Y = switch weapons

Left trigger = aim

Right trigger = fire

Left trigger press down (L3)= sprint

Right trigger press down (R3) = melee

D-pad for quick access and or chat/ping

Right bumper = grenades

Left bumper = chat/ping or weapon wheel

Left trigger + L3 (press left analog down) lean left.

Left trigger + R3 (press right analog down) lean right.

This is the basics.

Now, you got some of it right but other stuff are horrible and far from intuitive. Even if it's a milsim it must be smooth and fun to play. Milsim means one wrong step and your dead...you can not have a weird control layout. Muscle memory takes time.

Imagine if PC players was forced to play with the arrow keys instead of wasd..or if space bar could not be bind to jump or action. It could work ..but would take getting used to.

Now, with that said, here are my idea on a good setup (please reply and let them know your prefered layout).

A = jump/vault

B = crouch/prone

X = reload/interact

Y = switch weapons

Left trigger = aim

Right trigger = fire

D-pad for quick slots

Left trigger press down (L3)= sprint

Right trigger press down (R3) = activate chat on or off

Left bumper hold for = weapon wheel and channel switch (navigate with right analog and release)

Right bumper = hold for free look 

Left trigger + L3 (press left analog down) lean left while aiming

Left trigger + R3 (press right analog down) lean right while aiming.

For me it would be ok if i could only go full lean.. i don't use lean adjustments.

The rest of the controls as it is now works with the buttons (double press third person etc).

What we console players often ask for is an X and Y slider seperatly so that we can tweak both horizontal and vertical aiming. Having just one slider for both is a recipe for disaster and just ends in horrible aimcontrol and micro adjustment in long distance firefights.

The other major problem i have is the sluggish and weird animations/movement.

My controller and my actions don't seem attached to the character. For instance, when i crouch and look around (not free look) the body follows after awhile..the body adjust after where i look in a sluggish way. When sprinting  it's slower when looking around, not as responsive. Hard to put into words. But this have been in every bohemia game I've played so i guess it's the engine.

You seriously need to play and test it more with a controller. Hire some console gamers for a summer job and let them try it out. 

Some random points, both new and what we talked about.

1. No "save loadout" in conflict. Re-arm every time you respawn.

2. Custom controls

3. Tighter controls and less clunky movement/aiming

4. Mods for multiplayer

5. Russian camo or allow to use FIA in C&H and conflict. Seriously..the Russians look ugly in their brown 1972 "suit" and helmet. The FIA at least look cool.

6. Scope option for AR, 2x or 3x

7. Vault needs an overhaul, very clunky.

8. When crouched and looking around, the character does all kinds of weird follow up movements. Distracting.

9. Better ballistics and explosions.

10. Switch between weapons on Y.

11. X/Y aim option seperatly

12. Game master C&H and bounderis to fight in just specific parts of the map.

13. Loadout screen and save option at main menu. Would be so much easier (still available to change in game/on server of course).

14. A.I can spot you way to easily in bushes. Needs rework.

15. More camouflage options for both factions

16. APC and more armored options.

17. Friend and lobby invite.

18. Stay on server once the game is won/lost and wait for reload/match restart.

19. Fuel consumption? Vehicle damage? Right now i can hit a tree going 100km/h and just reverse and keep going.

20. Cross play with PS5 once it's released

21. Attachment on weapons like flashlight or grips. 

22. ( I know i will get flamed for this) A fully rotational compass on the bottom middle screen for easier call outs during hectic firefights. (It's a game..some advantages to real life must be added).

Thank you for reading.

PS. My thumbs hurt..typing from a mobile phone 

• Like 1

Compass HUD? 🤢🤢🤢 Heresy! lol. 

I'm sure in the next two months you'll be able to cross off some of those items.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joshua Diener said:

Compass HUD? 🤢🤢🤢 Heresy! lol. 

I'm sure in the next two months you'll be able to cross off some of those items.

Well, i play Hunt Showdown (perma death and extremely hardcore) and it has a compass top middle.

Same with hell let loose, only bottom middle.

You don't want a compass in Arma reforged but your ok with a hud showing mags, zero distancing and fire mode?

As i said... somethings need compromise to real life in order to work well.

In this game I'd prefer to have no hud display of any kind. There is a compass in game, in your kit that you can hotkey, a quick glance and a call out of the general direction of the enemy is all that is needed. Landmark and building call outs etc work too. "Tree line to the right behind the cabin.' 

15 hours ago, Joshua Diener said:

In this game I'd prefer to have no hud display of any kind. There is a compass in game, in your kit that you can hotkey, a quick glance and a call out of the general direction of the enemy is all that is needed. Landmark and building call outs etc work too. "Tree line to the right behind the cabin.' 

Well, i thought it was ok in DayZ but in this game with much more A.I enemies and other players, i feel it's a distraction and unnecessary.

Each to his own i guess