Sign in to follow this  
caracal

First impressions and feedback

Just played the game for an hour (tutorial) and this is a list of feedback from the experience I have so far.

First the things I would like to see improved or changed:

• The character automatically enables and disables the safety when lowering or raising the gun. This should be detached from this action, so there is more gameplay granularity. Operating the safety should be separate and something the player could do while the gun is raised or lowered without changing the weapon stance. Also it would remove that annoying delay when lowering the weapon where the character first appears to not respond to it because he is enabling the safety.
  • Note: Delays are good in this game for animations. Just in this particular case it would be mroe responsive if the player could skip the safety operation. Also for roleplaying and practical purposes sometimes I just want to lower the gun quickly without operting the safety switch.
  • Players currently can not put their rifle on the back and be unarmed. At least I assume that because I found no way to do it. For role play purposes it should be possible to switch to unarmed and put the rifle on the back
  • Please add a walk toggle, currently there is only a hold. I would like to walk most of the time, because it damages immersion if I am in an rea where I want to move slow (for roleplay purposes, or when in a tense situation with my rifle still lowered)
  • Can you smooth out the camera transitition when getting out of vehicles so there is no more violent snap between the players orientation and the end of the get out animation?
    Note: It is fantastic that your game allows for players to still move their view in these canned animations, it takes out a lot of stiffness out of it. Do not change that, this is great. Just smooth out the end of the animation so the view does not snap.
  • Gear shifting: Can you please add the option for manual gear shifting. Driving is a lot of fun, however the game shifting for me in the wrong moment is irritating. Also it would enhance gameplya if I had total control over RPM and when to shift. Currently, when driving the willy's jeep, in slow turns (almost walking speed), there is an excessive amount of shifting going on which a normal driver would not do.
  • Gear shifting sounds are great, however the engine sound of a jeep would be a lot noisier and slightly overpower that sound with an open interior like this.
  • Can you add a mouse invert for zeus please?
  • Interior vehicle 1p views would be nicer with some camera inertia. Like you have on the compass, forces acing on the camera causing a slight bank in sharp turns. Because when driving large trucks, it feels like you are driving a ship because of how smooth and level the camera view is. Which is a good thing compared to previous arma games. However adding realistic inertia would make it more realistic.
  • The US supply truck, is there really this much squeaking audible when driving it?
  • The M14 sounds a bit to high pitched, as if it has the same muzzle energy as the M16. However a .308 has 2-3 more energy, so it should have a beefier firing sound, more lower frequencies. There should be a noticeable gap between calibers.
  • Overcast weather: When the weather is slightly overcast, the shadows disappear from terrain and the game looks as bad as arma2. In real life slightly overcast weather still has sun shadows, there are just more diffuse.

Mousewheeling

• It is great that you removed it in many areas. Like interacting with doors. However when interacting with the rear of a supply truck, there is an excessive amount of mousewheeling required.
  • Suggestion: When standing at the rear of a truck, the available actions should be arranged in 3d over the rear end of the truck, so the player can pick the action he wants by small changes in camera view, like the way you can "look" for the ignition key in a car to turn it on, and for other switches.
  • That should be a priority thing, because mousewheeling in arma games has always been the devil. It should be removed as much as possible.
  • The same for radios, when shifting radio frequencies, perhaps adding a small inventory screen-ish UI where the player can use the mouse to click up down on a frequency dial, similar to the TFAR radios. It could be complementary and not replace the existing functionaltiy with the mousewheel.

Now I would like to list the stuff I really like:

• I was positively surprised by the animation fluidity when walking in 3p, and how smooth it felt to walk and switch directions in 1p. Your animators managed to make it realistically slow and feel real, while at the same time smoothing out the camera view in 1p.
  • It is great that your animators added that small delay when firing weapons. You can hear it on the PKM, when you press fire, there is a SHHHH before the bang happens. Because the interior mechanism of the trigger has to work first and then the bolt starts moving. It really feels like you are working the mechanism of the weapon.
  • I was very surprised on how good driving with a jeep felt. In the tutorial where it asks to exit the car to skip the driving, I drove it all the way. It has good inertia, the controls of the steering are slow enough (although adding a setting for it would be great to make it a bit slower). And the noises while driving sounded great.
  • Like 1

The Good...

Great graphics. The terrain and terrain features look great. The rain effects are really good. I like how the wetness starts on top of shoulders, and runs down. 

The Bad...

No documentation for a great piece of software. Absolutely no documentation about the Enfusion Workbench software. Having to watch youtube videos from multiple sources is no way to go through life son. A nice pdf explaining the different parts of the software would go a long way towards the opinion that it is too complicated, and people want their 3DEN editor back. 

The Ugly...

No player profile. I have no ownership of my character because everytime I respawn, I am a different character. I am a different race, and/or a different face.

Honorable mention....

You REALLY couldn't put the watch on the wrist? It so stupid to check the time, and have the watch in your hand. The only other place I wore my watch was through the pen slot on my bdu pocket. Rarely. 

• Like 3

Additonal feedback:

Steering rate setting

• Steering rate setting: Can you add a steering rate setting in options? So the rate of steering can be lowered or increased? I feel like currently I have to very quickly tap A or D to steer and not accidently oversteer.
  • Engines turning off when exiting car: Make turning engines off a toggle, so it does not automatically turn off everytime you quickly want to get out of the car to check something.

One more thing... 

The HUD display for the vehicles (Speed/Tach/Fuel) in lower left. Has to be optional. 

I should be able to turn that off. If I could do that, I would have a completely empty, immersive screen with the exception of the build number in the upper right, which I hope will depart the same as the HUD. 

That is all, carry on. 

• Like 1

My first impressions are, they've released it as a joke.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I realise this may not help you I play on PC but use a PS5 controller and while in your inventory  pressing x 2 times  ( shown as A in game) can put both rifles on your back. 

Weapons can be manually put to safe, I think default keybind on PC is DEL. It also has nice details, like when you engage safety on an M9 the hammer decocks.

I think it could be a gameplay option. "Automatically safe weapon upon lowering" or something. 

On 6/13/2022 at 6:49 PM, Blackheart_Six said:

The Bad...

No documentation for a great piece of software. Absolutely no documentation about the Enfusion Workbench software. Having to watch youtube videos from multiple sources is no way to go through life son. A nice pdf explaining the different parts of the software would go a long way towards the opinion that it is too complicated, and people want their 3DEN editor back.

Are you aware of documents located on our official Wiki? https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:Arma_Reforger/Modding

The link to that page is located in Resource Manager welcome screen and it's also located on other pages too, like official Dev Hub

20 minutes ago, reyhard said:

Are you aware of documents located on our official Wiki? https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:Arma_Reforger/Modding

The link to that page is located in Resource Manager welcome screen and it's also located on other pages too, like official Dev Hub

Yes very much so, and those documents are expanding. But there should have been a basic pdf explaining the basic functionality of the software.

And if Arma 3 is any example, we will be left with wiki pages of incomplete information, or just a title page. 

17 minutes ago, reyhard said:

A small suggestion, if I may :

The doc on Enforce presentation is fine, I think. But judging by the kind of questions that pop up often, I reckon the From SQF to Enforce Script page could use additional information. The examples and applications in the doc are mostly abstract; presenting concrete case illustrations would help people to quickly put what they read in practice - stuff like how to get a position, return team members or collect terrain objects. It would also touch on new concepts such as casting, and help understand why or when it's needed. Basically, just a handful of concrete examples to wrap up and illustrate the most common practices would be nice to have.

The "Object" notion in Object Oriented Programming is somewhat confusing when you come from procedural coding (you just don't know what the fuck is an object at first, or why you have to deal with instances), and the bottom-up approach adds another layer of confusion. The documentation lacks a couple of things to really get you started, IMO. Explaining how, for instance, to access methods in an entity's component or presenting a basic layout of the class hierarchy would give a clearer picture. Right now we have to constantly work our way up through auto-completion searches, which I find to be a tad frustrating.

And I don't even know if what I just typed makes any sense - OOP is that weird to me. ninja.png

47 minutes ago, Blackheart_Six said:

But there should have been a basic pdf explaining the basic functionality of the software

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_Reforger:Workbench

On this page you can check most of the editors documentation and you would call that basic of the Workbench. For instance https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_Reforger:Script_Editor page explains quite well how editor should be used.

As for more practical things, you can learn how to use various editors in practice by following those tutorial https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:Arma_Reforger/Modding/Tutorials/Assets

Biggest issue I am expereincing is intermittent FPS issues when accessing the map. On ocassion, when I open the map the FPS immediately plummetts to 3 - 5. Only restarting the entire game will resolve the issue. I can replicate the problem fairly often. FPS is usually 50 - 60'ish.