vlad666

AI sees too far!

I find that the AI really sees us and detects us from too far away... it harms the gameplay, it is necessary to review their vision please

(Translated with Google Translate)

Edited by Nillers
Translated to English.

44 minutes ago, haleks said:

Please read the forum rules (merci de lire les règles du forum) :

https://forums.bohemia.net/guidelines/

Sorry... so I said, that I find that AI detects us from far too far! it is really necessary to change that I think because it spoils the general gamepaly.

I did some very rough testing, placing AI units facing eachother in the north airfield. They won't detect eachother at 500 or 400 meters. At 300 meters they detect and begin maneuvering, but will not open fire. They open up between 200 and 250, but even then it took both of them over a magazine to cause fatal injury. 

I think 200-300 is a good engagement distance with ironsights in an open field. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Kristian said:

I think 200-300 is a good engagement distance with ironsights in an open field. 

Exactly, the ideal shot is at 200M maximum without a scope beyond this distance, impossible to make a fair shot!  For me in Arma Reforger, the AI shoots accurately from too far, you have to adjust the sliders I think.  

I would disagree. There should be situations where the AI is aware of players before the players see them. Or the game would just be a target shooting exercise.

• Like 2

The AI is not functioning that well.

I've had AI engage at distance, I've had AI not engage at all, and you can walk right up to them, and shoot them in the face.

U just cant take AI serious currently. BI included some example behavior trees to have them fight somehow and thats it.

But I guess modders are now much better able to enhance AI behavioe. Its all about those behavior trees i think...

On 6/11/2022 at 12:27 PM, vlad666 said:

Exactly, the ideal shot is at 200M maximum without a scope beyond this distance, impossible to make a fair shot!  For me in Arma Reforger, the AI shoots accurately from too far, you have to adjust the sliders I think.  

In my post I meant that that is the way the AI works in current, default Game-master mode. AI is customizeable with sliders by each mission maker, so if you play some community missions there is no telling what the creator did to AI. 

Had a look in the editor too; default engagement distance currently is around 200 for rifleman. 

I don't know what everyone is complaining about missing features in a early access arma game... 1st Arma 3 released with little content in the alpha stage. 2nd regarding AI, the AI is so much better than the older titles, the fact that you can build a maze for them and they can navigate it much like a drunk would ( which  infinitely better than phasing through walls like a ghost.) and mind you this is user placed walls/ objects in the game master. the AI has been promised to be open to modding much more so than what we have seen before.  and I would like to remind people that it looks like all mission making will be done in the enfusion SDK that would also include the AI behavior. 

• Like 4

Just now i took a jeep up to the airfield and parked it maybe 700 meters from the fence, crouch walked up to the "helipad" thingy, across the base on west side, lay down in the grass and crawled up to some bushes so that i could see the tents with binoculars...and as i predicted..A.I had already noticed me and was on look out and moving closer...within roughly 200 meters bullets where whizzing by..

How is it possible to sneak up on A.I in this game?

No problem driving a jeep full speed in to their base..3 or 4 of them firing in another direction while at least one is running straight in to the headlights like a deer.

Yes.. A.I (among other things) need some rework.

On the topic of A.I, do more soldiers spawn the more you build around the camp? Usually don't see more than 3 of them once it's captured.

9 hours ago, bent.toe said:

How is it possible to sneak up on A.I in this game?

No problem driving a jeep full speed in to their base..3 or 4 of them firing in another direction while at least one is running straight in to the headlights like a deer.

Yes.. A.I (among other things) need some rework.

On 6/13/2022 at 6:35 PM, sarogahtyp said:

U just cant take AI serious currently. BI included some example behavior trees to have them fight somehow and thats it.

But I guess modders are now much better able to enhance AI behavior. Its all about those behavior trees i think...

Here is an example for what some modders are trying an achieveing currently:

I'm not sure if foliage or smoke blocks AI vision; it should. AI seems to rush from a distance (up a hill or across a field) while clustered like grapes for easy mow downs. They know how to flank a bit though. AI tactics must improve.

10 hours ago, Joshua Diener said:

I'm not sure if foliage or smoke blocks AI vision; it should. AI seems to rush from a distance (up a hill or across a field) while clustered like grapes for easy mow downs. They know how to flank a bit though. AI tactics must improve.

More complex AI behaviour and ability to command them has been confirmed.

https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/der-lange-weg-zu-arma-4-wie-geht-es-jetzt-mit-reforger-weiter,3381140.html

GameStar: Will we still be able to issue commands to AI soldiers in Arma Reforger, or is this a feature that will only come back in Arma 4?

Ján Dušek: Yes, that will come with one of the later updates for Arma Reforger.

• Like 1