Sign in to follow this  
Snake Man

Campaign Hub Design

Wrote a detailed PMC Tactical forums: ArmA 3 Campaign Hub topic about how to design these things. Would love to hear feedback.

Dunno what it is about campaign hub style of campaign design but I just love to hang out in such hub base/camp/FOB location, rearm etc before going to patrol/scouting to keep the bad guys away 🙂

• Like 1

Hello.
I somewhat apologize for going off-topic. But I am trying to see what campaigns (such as ones with hubs) you have made. 

However, after several clicks on your linked site (https://www.pmctactical.org/forum) and the "download" site (https://www.pmctactical.org/arma3/campaign.php), I am stuck. 

To quote your site:

If you plan to download PMC campaigns from github you need a batch file to compile them properly because many campaigns use scripts from our global script directory github.com arma-3-Scripts. Unfortunately... this bat is not available right now, sorry.

With only a link to the GitHub. 

I'd genuinely love to try out your hard work, learn from it, and discuss. 

How do I access it?

Playable campaign PBO's are not available currently as our web page says. If you want to study campaign description.ext, mission.sqm and script SQF files, they are all available in PMC github page.

Its on my TODO list to officially release a regular campaign PBO for all users to just download & play, just haven't got around to it.

I know I know, need to do less editing and more releasing, but 😉

• Haha 1

Just wrote to PMC Tactical Forums about howto start a patrol mission.

Which one you guys prefer, action menu, or a walking distance?

Returning from a patrol into the campaign hub "base camp", does the mission end when you reach certain distance or will you be allowed to enter the base, access ammo boxes etc and then call end to the mission when you choose, in fact you could even go back out again.

The problem with that at least in a way bis did it on east wind, is the decorations in campaign hub, those eat precious CPU cycles if they are there during your patrol / side missions.

Dunno guess dynamic simulation would prevent that, not sure how it works with those switchMove animations or similar method decorations are using.

Guess the traditional way is the overall best, hang out in decorated base camp (hub) while outside world is completely empty of AI/objects, go out and patrol starts and then roles are switched (hub becomes empty).

Would love to hear feedback from other players, how would you guys prefer the hub in/out setup work?

Hello again!

I apologize ahead if this sounds disrespectful. But I don't understand how you are expecting others to give you feedback of your work, without providing examples of said work. As an analogy: people would not buy books/watch videos from a chef who did not actually present the result of their recipe. Show us your wares, sir (please). 

Been thinking about vehicle support, in bis east wind stratis campaign hub you were walking or driving a ATV quad bike, in altis hub's you had a (three man?) team and a vehicle to drive with. Wonder if helicopter insert / extract support would fit into this design.

It depends on the base / camp size of course, if your campaign hub is Observation Post (OP) it obviously is only suited for few soldiers to live there, its very small without helopad capability. Forward Operating Base (FOB) is then a big step up as they can be various sizes. I've heard that in operation iraqi freedom some of the FOB's were just huge, in those you could easily host a helicopter landing pad.

Helo operations would work easily from support 0-8 menu, call insert or extract to a map location, helo takes off, flies to the coordinates, lands and then flies back to the base again. This could be done with the limited default support module even.

Just not sure if its "overkill" or how it would change the mood of campaign hub. Hmm.