Sign in to follow this  
Plantroots

Amazing possibilities for underground structures!

So far, I haven't found any underground structure different from what I could find in previous Arma games.

It is always a pile of rocks that creates an underground cavity, it is not strictly speaking a structure.

There is no accessible basement or cellar in the houses.

The largest structure I have found is the mine on "L'isle d'Argent", but characteristically this underground tunnel is not as dark as it should be, even in broad daylight.

1EIlU97l.jpg

The white box should not be so visible. It's not a real mine gallery, it's a covered trench.

I was hoping to find horizontal galleries and wells to explore with a lamp in "Ore Ridge", this is not the case.

It's a disappointment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oldbear said:

So far, I haven't found any underground structure different from what I could find in previous Arma games.

It is always a pile of rocks that creates an underground cavity, it is not strictly speaking a structure.

There is no accessible basement or cellar in the houses.

The largest structure I have found is the mine on "L'isle d'Argent", but characteristically this underground is not as dark as it should be, even in broad daylight.

[https://i.imgur.com/1EIlU97.jpg]

Yeah, i've also figured out how to make houses with basements, i just need to learn to use blender to create the structures that i need lol

Creating an object below ground is possible by creating a depression in the mesh that makes up the terrain.

The creation of wide edges is necessary to hide the slope.

The depression created is not a box, but an inverted and truncated pyramid.

With a fairly fine terrain mesh, we can be as close as possible to a parallelepiped, but it remains an object inserted into the ground in a depression planned in advance, not something that can be added in a 3D editor.

No cave like in Ghost Recon, no sewers like in Insurgency: Sand Storm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@ Plantroots : Can you tell us what are these lists of numbers that you post on the forum?

To get an idea of what was possible in Arma 2, on a heightmap based terrain, I suggest you visit Namalsk by Sumrak.

In particular, there are two underground locations, such the 6-floor Athena-2 underground laboratory and a railway tunnel.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2022 at 3:54 PM, Plantroots said:

Yeah, i've also figured out how to make houses with basements, i just need to learn to use blender to create the structures that i need lol

I can guide you on how to model with blender. just pm a discord.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Plantroots said:

🙂 

Really cool. Well done. Regardless if underground bases were possible in older versions, this is great

• Like 1

12 hours ago, veles-zv said:

I can guide you on how to model with blender. just pm a discord.

Thanks! I will reopen my discord and message you 🙂 

9 hours ago, zeotrope said:

Really cool. Well done. Regardless if underground bases were possible in older versions, this is great

Thanks! Yeah i know about past underground structures in former Arma maps, but they were so limited, not to mention really hard to make, with this new engine it's much easier for new terrain creators like me to attempt to make underground sections.

The issue of light radiated through the structure is a problem that I have always encountered in my own underground constructions built on my Arma and Arma II terrains.

I mentioned the underground structure on Namalsk because Sumrak seemed to have found a way around the problem.

In an underground structure, darkness should be total, even in broad daylight.

Until now, in Arma III, terrain creators had to resort to subterfuge to achieve total darkness like in the Cytech Underground Map Mod.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, oldbear said:

The issue of light radiated through the structure is a problem that I have always encountered in my own underground constructions built on my Arma and Arma II terrains.

I mentioned the underground structure on Namalsk because Sumrak seemed to have found a way around the problem.

In an underground structure, darkness should be total, even in broad daylight.

Until now, in Arma III, terrain creators had to resort to subterfuge to achieve total darkness like in the Cytech Underground Map Mod.

Yeah the lightning has always been a problem when it comes to underground structures in Arma, hopefully there is some script or feature that can be used in reforger to fix this.