Japo32

Please don't forget helicopters advance physics

I hope basic flight model is retained, "advanced" flight model is absolutely unrealistic and horrid; BFM with a mouse / keyboard is more realistic. More difficult =/= realistic.

Sincerely an IRL Helicopter pilot who has a VERY expensive setup for DCS.

Pilot of real life heli says that Arma 3 advanced flight model is "incredibly realistic".
This is not surprising because of fact that AFM uses Rotorlib framework, wich is part of professional simulation software for aerospace engineering. Leaving this part overboard will be biggest disappointment for me and a lot of virpils.

On 6/6/2022 at 2:41 AM, superfish128 said:

This is actually untrue, Reforger is the first game to be run by the enfusion engine. It's a common misconception though, but Dayz is still run by real virtuality engine, if you don't believe me look it up that's fine. Dayz only uses Enfusion for rendering and a couple minor things, but physics and the such are the same engine as Arma, also just a heads up for anyone else BI didn't develop Dayz standalone either, probably why helicopters are so different. Anyway jsut wanted to clear that up, I hope helicopters are done well as well, but we will see when they get here. I don't think there is anything to really worry about significantly. Arma 3 EA was worse than this

You may want to re-check your facts for that statement.

On 6/8/2022 at 3:27 PM, en3x said:

I feel like it has more parts than just rendering. The animations and movement systems as well - you can jump while running, climb over obstacles stuff like that. Unable to have in Real virtuality engine.

Dayz from 0.63 (2018) runs on enfusion engine. It was first bohemia game to use this engine and me and other common sense people are still pissed about it as BI clearly used funds that people put into DayZ: SA to fund development of their new engine. That is generally considered a dick move.

Or perhaps it takes resources to work on a new engine, and to continue development. BI isn't exactly rolling in resources. Give them a little bit of slack.

bump

please please incorporate advanced flight mode developers!

having the option, and HOTAS setup controls, would be awesome, and for those that dont like it, stick to the simple physics and keyboard mouse, and controlers!

On 5/13/2023 at 6:32 AM, babyjaws said:

bump

please please incorporate advanced flight mode developers!

having the option, and HOTAS setup controls, would be awesome, and for those that dont like it, stick to the simple physics and keyboard mouse, and controlers!

bump, again.

My first post on the forums because of how important this is. If they don't continue in the direction of realism with flying and HOTAS support it's going to really ruin the game for me. The AFM physics made the helicopters almost on par with Xplane & MSFS, I'd say however vortex ring state is a bit exaggerated as someone said previously. At the very least take the AFM from Arma 3, and adapt/rewrite the code to be more realistic and efficient. Don't take away the freedoms Arma players love to include console players, it'll be like a repeat of Fallout 4 at launch when they completely changed the fundamental feel and mechanics of the game even down to the dialogue screen, when nobody asked for it. I've yet to even buy reforger because of the lack of HOTAS support. I shouldn't have to download HIDhide, Joystick gremlin, and vJoy just to try to enjoy piloting in half-assed flying physics (Squad w/ HOTAS.) That's also why Squad has significantly less playtime than Arma in my library, it's just not fun to fly in. It's fun to shoot and play with teammates, clearing buildings and holding points. On the contrary, Arma 3 KOTH, you load up the helo and head to the AO, able to out maneuver enemy attacks & gunfire, make a rapid descent in to a hot AO, take too much damage and you gotta fight your way to the rest of your team. If you survive the infil, you make a hasty retreat back to base, grab more guys and try again. The difference is A. Spawn times on vehicles in Squad, buying with earned cash in Arma. B. The flying in Arma is actually GOOD, which makes even the boring part of getting to the fight exciting. You've got the specific vehicle radio channel and you just blast the tunes and it turns into a whole experience in itself. 

If we lose the fidelity of flight & freedom of control setup, its gonna be a sad day for all Arma fans. Keep the realism, make it a clientside series of checkboxes, just like Arma 3. Please.

• Like 1

BI is rewriting parts of the enfusion engine, and is struggling to create a barely functional game, I don't think they are going to add an advanced flight model anytime soon. In fact, I would be surprised if there is an advanced flight model at the launch of Arma 4.