W-Cephei

We need a Mission Selection Screen

Right now the mission is loaded from the server .json config. If you want to change missions you need to restart the server and edit the .json. This is completely counter-productive to any community that does not play "open gamemodes" like King of The Hill, Capture and Hold, Zeus/GM etc. Specially if you want to play in different maps.

Literally we need the game to read a folder that will contain the missions and display them on a list in-game, so that the server admin can pick a mission. Exactly like we have in OFP, Arma 1, 2 and 3.

An ideal solution would be to have a flag on the server .json config that would change the server to use a mission selection screen(OFP,A1,2,3 style) or keep the current system for Reforger(Scenario like).

This is such a big deal for us that If this is not implemented I honestly don't see my community playing Arma 4. 

• Like 4

Patience young padawan. This feature will come for sure but we are at alpha state. Its just not feature complete.

9 minutes ago, sarogahtyp said:

Patience young padawan. This feature will come for sure but we are at alpha state. Its just not feature complete.

I wish I could agree with you. But they have not showed us any intention to make it.

Such feature is really deep into the workings of the game and will require substantial effort. I honestly do not know if they can do it within the timeframe of Reforger, considering they are also working on fixing bugs and AI.

On 6/3/2022 at 4:54 PM, W-Cephei said:

they have not showed us any intention to make it.

They did. I cant tell the source but somewhere I read that mission rotation is just not yet implemented.

Most likely I read that on their discord...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sarogahtyp said:

They did. I cant tell the source but somewhere I read that mission rotation is just not yet implemented.

Most likely I read that on their discord...

Mission rotation is not a mission selection screen.

A mission rotation system is just what games like Squad have. The admin setups an array of maps/missions that will be played in sequence.

This is not what what I'm talking about. I already explained what is to be done. Just copy the behavior that was present in OFP, Arma 1, 2 and 3. I'll sumarize and you should see that this is not a "mission rotation feature":

The server admin uploads missions to the MPmissions folder on the server machine.

The server reads all missions inside this folder.

In game, the admin can type #missions to present everyone connected with screen that lists the maps loaded and the missions available for each map:

H8q26AF.png

Players can vote for what mission they want to play or the admin can simply pick one.

• Like 1

I don't think we are seeing the complete picture with Reforger. There are a lot of things missing at this point. Give it time. This is a test bed. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blackheart_Six said:

I don't think we are seeing the complete picture with Reforger. There are a lot of things missing at this point. Give it time. This is a test bed. 

The thing is, we don't know what is missing because we don't know the direction they are taking Arma 4.

I have the right to not believe corporate speech and ethereal terms like "Arma spirit". I can trust open and direct words from actual people.

• Confused 1

We do need mission Selection Screen. Its a cornerstone of many communities.

• Like 1

I'm sorry but I think you're missing the point of Arma Reforger Alpha. This is not Arma 4 but a playable test environment for the new engine (do not mistake this for Arma 4 which will be a finished product).

Of course there will be many more features added like mission rotation and multiplayer fixes, new model, etc.

Until BI gives more information about actual Arma 4, it will be speculation as to what will be included/missing based on what Reforger has or has not. All I can say is be patient 🙂

• Like 2

On 6/17/2022 at 3:23 PM, ozzbik said:

I'm sorry but I think you're missing the point of Arma Reforger Alpha. This is not Arma 4 but a playable test environment for the new engine (do not mistake this for Arma 4 which will be a finished product).

Of course there will be many more features added like mission rotation and multiplayer fixes, new model, etc.

Until BI gives more information about actual Arma 4, it will be speculation as to what will be included/missing based on what Reforger has or has not. All I can say is be patient 🙂

Which is kind of my point. We have no idea what we will see on Arma 4. My current feeling is telling me that they are shifting to a 'Scenario-like' gameplay instead of a mission one. Something more similar to Squad.

If things stay pretty close to what we have now with Arma Reforger, then I am not buying Arma 4.

I love Enfusion Workbench. It is awesome. And I don't know no jack about OOP, or OOP scripting so I am struggling with that aspect. I can't view the map without "Playing" the game from within workbench. It would be nice to open a map to view. 

The game is way too simplified at this point. It feels like a game built for a console. Dumbed down to the lowest common dominator.The map does not look like a topographical as in Arma I/II/III. Looks cartoonish for some reason. Maybe the coloring is off. The markers are APP-6 colors though, so that is correct, after all these years. There is no marker system like ARMA III. Maybe I am missing something. 

They have simplified markers but only for tasks, and spawn points. 

27 minutes ago, Blackheart_Six said:

If things stay pretty close to what we have now with Arma Reforger, then

... BI would have been released Arma 4 - 1.0 and not an Arma Reforger Alpha version.

We shouldn't need to restart server and edit json file, in order to select different map or mission. That is step backward. I hope BI sees selection of mission or maps from selection screen as way to go.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 8:06 AM, en3x said:

We shouldn't need to restart server and edit json file, in order to select different map or mission. That is step backward. I hope BI sees selection of mission or maps from selection screen as way to go.

I have to admit, I have a hard time understanding why this capability wasn't built right into the game engine from the beginning. It's not like BI hasn't done it before so they already have high level designs that work. It should have been a relatively easy exercise to add it in.

Still, as others have stated this is a tech demo and not really a full game. It'll be interesting to see what direction they take Arma 4 even if we never see the capability in Reforger.

On 7/3/2022 at 1:16 AM, =jps=sgtrock said:

I have to admit, I have a hard time understanding why this capability wasn't built right into the game engine from the beginning. It's not like BI hasn't done it before so they already have high level designs that work. It should have been a relatively easy exercise to add it in.

Still, as others have stated this is a tech demo and not really a full game. It'll be interesting to see what direction they take Arma 4 even if we never see the capability in Reforger.

We are scratching our heads just as you are.

Latest change log adds to this:

"We're also designing a method to run servers with mission rotation. For server admins out there, that basically means providing multiple mission headers inside the server config. This feature will be connected with mission reloading and both should be available in the upcoming months." _ https://reforger.armaplatform.com/news/dev-report-7

This is not Arma 4 but tech demo as you said. Which gives you unique opportunity to give constructive criticism so that things may change in a future for the better. 

Slightly worried that console world might influence this decision.