weirdjet

How To Modify Building Prefabs?

Hello,

I want to create my own version of an existing building, for example a military bararck. I want to add some extra furniture, such as weapon racks, chairs, etc. I do the following:

1. Find the Barack prefab in ArmaReforger > Prefabs > Structures > Military > Houses > Barracks_01_military_base.et ({5F97E54397247954}Prefabs/Structures/Military/Houses/Barracks_01_military_base.et)
  2. Right click and choose 'Duplicate', which creates a duplicate of this prefab in my project directory.
  3. Open my version of the prefab. Click 'Edit Prefab' in the top-right. This opens the prefab in World Editor.
  4. Find another prefab that I wish to add into the barrack, for example {AC98FF880BD0F2C2}Prefabs/Props/Furniture/Chair_01/Chair_01_base.et
  5. Place the chair in the scene, and make it a child of the House over-all entity like every other object. Note that the Save button does not light up.
  6. Save, Ctrl+S, also File > Force save
  7. Close the World Editor, re-open the prefab, click Edit Prefab, opens in World Editor again but the objects we added (the chair) is gone.

Is this the same behaviour for everyone? One person in Discord said they were able to do it fine. I have tried all different ways to do this, none work.

Thanks

I have the same issue; cant figure out how to modify/inherited Prefabs, nor I am able to create a new one from scratch.

Today I played around with the prefab of a truck. First I inherited the original into my addon and then I added another material to it just to see if it works ( I m learning ...). I had the same problem several times. The save button and menu entry lit not up and the force save entry did not do anything. It just got not saved.

But I repeated that procedure several times and at some times the save button lit up, I pressed it and the prefab was saved including the changed materials...

I guess there is some issue with the save functionality.

16 minutes ago, sarogahtyp said:

Today I played around with the prefab of a truck. First I inherited the original into my addon and then I added another material to it just to see if it works ( I m learning ...). I had the same problem several times. The save button and menu entry lit not up and the force save entry did not do anything. It just got not saved.

But I repeated that procedure several times and at some times the save button lit up, I pressed it and the prefab was saved including the changed materials...

I guess there is some issue with the save functionality.

I've found that if you edit an entity within the prefab using the Object Properties / UI, manually inputting x, y, z and scale positions, the save menu lights up and you can save it and it stays. If you use the World Editor gizmos, within the viewport to move/rescale, the save button does not light up. 

So basically you can move and rescale existing entities within a prefab ONLY if you modify them via the Object Properties window (manually entering values). You still cannot add new entities in 😞

Surely this is a bug and not intended functionality?

It doesn't seem possible to edit an existing prefab, as it won't allow you to save over the existing ".et" even if you override in your project folder. However, you can edit and then use that to create a new prefab, by dragging the parent GenericEntity, which should contain any Entity's you've added or modified, directly into the Resource Browser. You'll then be prompted to name your new prefab. 

This post on the Wiki should explain this better: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_Reforger:Prefabs_Basics

It's certainly odd that you can't simply "save" or "save as" to the Resource Browser if that is what's required, very unconventional at least for consumer software. 

On 6/2/2022 at 10:25 PM, weirdjet said:

Place the chair in the scene, and make it a child of the House over-all entity like every other object. Note that the Save button does not light up

Did you hold alt key when doing that? https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_Reforger:Prefabs_Basics#Adding_entities_to_prefab