captncaps

Tutorial: Creating a (ingame) map for your custom Terrain

• Create a SCR_MapEntity (not MapEntity !!!)
  • open the "Map Export" Tool
    unknown.png

• Go to the Map Tool Export Tab
    unknown.png

• Export "Geometry 2D" -> creates a .topo file  (Warning: can take very long and a lot of RAM, don't try to export Everon)
  • Export "Rasterization" for a "Satellite image" of your map -> creates a .tga Image File
  • Right click the .tga file in Workbench and select "Register and Import" -> .edds Texture File created
  • Go to the SCR_MapEntity and set the Map Geometry Data to the .topo file and set the Satellite Background Image to the .edds Texture

Please let me know if this worked for you, or if any problems arose 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, wyattmoon102 said:

does this make the map look like the standard arma map or is it literally just a picture of your map?

No this generates a proper Arma map, with roads and everything 🙂

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, captncaps said:

No this generates a proper Arma map, with roads and everything 🙂

sick

Nothing happens when I click export, I have the Destination Path and I've tried both export types.

14 hours ago, MRsemple said:

Nothing happens when I click export, I have the Destination Path and I've tried both export types.

If the files don't get created, the export probably failed. Can you check your Log Console for errors?

@captncaps I guess your tutorial misses some important steps to get the whole thing work. On my end I gave up because as @MRsemple said ther is nothing happening after clicking on the Export Map Data button.

Best would be to begin the tutorial with the Projects window instantly after starting Arma Reforger Tools out of Steam and describing each little step precisly. This is what your tutorial does'nt do currently.

Attempting to export using this guide results in the following errors in the log console:

SCRIPT   (E): Could not export 2D map data.
SCRIPT   (E): Could not export map rasterization.

It happens instantly after pressing the "Export" button, it doesn't even process anything from what I can tell.

When placing the SCR_MapEntity, the log console also prints the following errors:

InitEntities 'world'
 ENTITY   : Init entity @"ENTITY:123887" ('SCR_MapEntity1', SCR_MapEntity) at <0.000000 0.000000 0.000000>
  RESOURCES (W): No 2d topographic geometry provided to the map. Roads, buildings, power lines, etc. won't be visible.
InitEntities 'world'
 ENTITY   : Init entity @"ENTITY:123887" ('SCR_MapEntity1', SCR_MapEntity) at <204.151657 0.000000 428.996429>
  RESOURCES (W): No 2d topographic geometry provided to the map. Roads, buildings, power lines, etc. won't be visible.

1 hour ago, sarogahtyp said:

@captncaps I guess your tutorial misses some important steps to get the whole thing work. On my end I gave up because as @MRsemple said ther is nothing happening after clicking on the Export Map Data button.

Best would be to begin the tutorial with the Projects window instantly after starting Arma Reforger Tools out of Steam and describing each little step precisly. This is what your tutorial does'nt do currently. 

There aren't any more steps involved in this. Open your world in World Editor, click the Export Map Tool, and export the data... it should work.

It works on Everon for me, and I tested it with someone on Discord yesterday, it worked for their custom map too.

13 minutes ago, sienihemmo said:

Attempting to export using this guide results in the following errors in the log console:

SCRIPT   (E): Could not export 2D map data.
SCRIPT   (E): Could not export map rasterization.

It happens instantly after pressing the "Export" button, it doesn't even process anything from what I can tell.

When placing the SCR_MapEntity, the log console also prints the following errors:

InitEntities 'world'
 ENTITY   : Init entity @"ENTITY:123887" ('SCR_MapEntity1', SCR_MapEntity) at <0.000000 0.000000 0.000000>
InitEntities 'world'
 ENTITY   : Init entity @"ENTITY:123887" ('SCR_MapEntity1', SCR_MapEntity) at <204.151657 0.000000 428.996429>

The Errors from SCR_MapEntity are to be expected, because you haven't yet assigned the .topo file to it.

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you why the Map Exporter fails to export the 2D map data, since the error message isn't helpful.

2 minutes ago, captncaps said:

The Errors from SCR_MapEntity are to be expected, because you haven't yet assigned the .topo file to it.

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you why the Map Exporter fails to export the 2D map data, since the error message isn't helpful.

Well, luckily my map is still in the early stages and I was just getting to know the system beforehand as a change of pace. So personally I have plenty of time to wait for more extensive documentation, and for possible bugs related to it to get fixed. Hopefully the others having issues get past it though.

As others have previously said, nothing happens when you export. 

I was able to get the export working by duplicating the MapEntity scripts file to my terrain and reloading game scripts. Export now works. 

16 hours ago, Coopaa said:

As others have previously said, nothing happens when you export. 

I was able to get the export working by duplicating the MapEntity scripts file to my terrain and reloading game scripts. Export now works. 

It is quite hit and miss. 

Ive resolved by just simply restarting WE, sometimes it  wont work if you dont have your default layer active (or sometimes the layer that your SCR_MapEntity resides in. 

an export folder HAS to be defined , but sometimes purely changing that folder to anything outside of your main terrain folder would let you export. sometimes it will only let you export to your main folder ... 

i get an error where my Log Console will tell me it s been exported okay, but it hasnt. doing some or all of the above seem to fix this

been doing this since the first few days of the tools being released and only issue i get is the TGA is horizontally flipped, i have to flip it in PS before converting to .edds

glad you got your working eventually 🙂

• Like 1

I have just done both and it works very well.
However the first one took me almost an hour (232km2) and for the second one I had to restart the editor

I've gotten this working now. Thanks for the guide!  But I thought I'd share a weird experience I had when I was doing this,

After I managed to export the rasterization .tga file, it was very peculiarly upside down. With the resulting satellite background image being south at the top, whilst the map geometry data had north at the top, as expected.

Fixing this was as simple as loading the file in an image editor, and flipping it the right way. I used Paint.NET with an extension to accept TGA files.

At first, doing this essentially corrupted the file in the eyes of the Workbench, but I checked the export options I was using, and I turned off RLE compression, which solved the problem.

• Like 1

thank you for this tutorial even if it is not very clear. anyway, it works

Im having big problems with that. Im triying to use all the tips but its impossible for me , if anyone can help me will be very nice

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

log.png

topo.png

It appears that its all good, no problems with exported files like you can see , but the file its 0 Size and i cant export it with the parameters, im so frustrated

On 6/2/2022 at 4:03 PM, MRsemple said:

doesnt work for me either- i dont know why

Hi, please find this 2D Map Creation tutorial - hoping it provides answers to most of your questions. For any suggestions/improvements, ping us on the Arma Discord Server  in the #community_wiki channel!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm having the same issue as @Luk1s_ComandoSpectre and @blackflagmedia, the console reports successful export (no errors), but the result will just be an empty "$[project name]" file.

I seriously doubt this is user error, very likely another bug.

It can't be in the root folder

Its not working for me, 

Its always giving me the error 

SCRIPT    (E): Could not export 2D map data. (Map Entity not found)