Sign in to follow this  
XTankKiller

Suggestions for Bohemia

Hello.

I am a content creator and so far, i have 3 very important suggestions for Bohemia's Arma development team:

- First: add a variable in RvExtension which contains the path and name of the script file which is calling the extension and an identifier (created by the game that we could check from a distant server using some way you have provided). This way we can be able to improve our dlls security making sure no function is called by a non-desired script. I am working on a SSL socket server to communicate with a distant server to record player's military file, but there is no way to make sure the dll is only called by an authorized script, so any smart person could find a way to cheat.

- Second: Add a function to directly transfer a player from a server to another and an other one to allow a mod to connect a player directly to a specific server when the player reaches the main menu after game launch. This way we will be able to create new multiserver experience. We could even think about creating a new Semi-MMO that would offer much more than what we can do possibly imagine to do with Altis Life.

- Third: A function to programatically be able to select the seat of the player. Many servers (like th 77th JSOC public servers) don't require the player to select a seat in the lobby. It would be better if we were able to skip this part. It would be excellent for immersion.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, XTankKiller said:

Hello.

I am a content creator and so far, i have 3 very important suggestions for Bohemia's Arma development team:

- First: add a variable in RvExtension which contains the path and name of the script file which is calling the extension and an identifier (created by the game that we could check from a distant server using some way you have provided). This way we can be able to improve our dlls security making sure no function is called by a non-desired script. I am working on a SSL socket server to communicate with a distant server to record player's military file, but there is no way to make sure the dll is only called by an authorized script, so any smart person could find a way to cheat.

- Second: Add a function to directly transfer a player from a server to another and an other one to allow a mod to connect a player directly to a specific server when the player reaches the main menu after game launch. This way we will be able to create new multiserver experience. We could even think about creating a new Semi-MMO that would offer much more than what we can do possibly imagine to do with Altis Life.

- Third: A function to programatically be able to select the seat of the player. Many servers (like th 77th JSOC public servers) don't require the player to select a seat in the lobby. It would be better if we were able to skip this part. It would be excellent for immersion.

Regarding your third point, I think i can speak to that.

there is a "skipLobby" parameter built into arma and also built into their server/gamemode.

It is disabled due to an old but persistent arma bug where a lobby slot can become corrupted for a time, and no player will be able to connect. The experience is "Im stuck on Receiving Data". You bypass that bug by simply  selecting a different slot.

The skipLobby parameter forces the player into the first available slot to autojoin them into the server. If that is the bugged slot, then no player will be able to join the server as they will all get forced into the bugged slot and "stuck on receiving data".

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Description.ext#skipLobby

Look, even just today: 

07dhrGH.png

That is why very few servers use skipLobby, as it removes ability to change slot

Regarding your second point,

This functionality is already in the game, @killzone_kid can elaborate further. It is disabled due to security vulnerabilities I think. Imagine a cheater forcing you to join a server

Regarding your third point, I think i can speak to that.

there is a "skipLobby" parameter built into arma and also built into their server/gamemode.

It is disabled due to an old but persistent arma bug where a lobby slot can become corrupted for a time, and no player will be able to connect. The experience is "Im stuck on Receiving Data". You bypass that bug by simply  selecting a different slot.

The skipLobby parameter forces the player into the first available slot to autojoin them into the server. If that is the bugged slot, then no player will be able to join the server as they will all get forced into the bugged slot and "stuck on receiving data".

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Description.ext#skipLobby

Thank you for you reply, i didn't know about the skipLobby parameter for description.ext file.

Regarding your second point,

This functionality is already in the game, @killzone_kid can elaborate further. It is disabled due to security vulnerabilities I think. Imagine a cheater forcing you to join a server

I've never seenthis functionality. What is the command name ?

I don't think a cheat could force you to join a server if this command is used with serverCommand. You could specify a password and no cheater would be able to do anything.

For Bohemia development team:

I've thinked again about the way to make DLLs safer and i think the best way is to pass the content of the file script calling the DLL and agenerated serial to RvExtension. This way we can make an MD5 checksum or whatever we want on the file. The best is probably to transmit the calling script file hashcode instead of the content for more safety. And if the script file does not use global variables and is not calling other scripts, i can be absolutely sure no one is able to call the DLL except my script file. I want a generated serial because anyone can decompile a DLL. If this DLL communicates with a distant server, there would be no way to protect this distant server except with a generated serial we can check on the distant server. This way, we wouldn't have anymore security problems with our DLLs.

On 6/1/2022 at 5:09 PM, XTankKiller said:

I've never seenthis functionality. What is the command name ?

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/connectToServer but talk to @Dedmen. I will have a look at callExtension, no promises, in the meantime you could create a ticket on https://feedback.bistudio.com/ and PM me the link