Team SFS

Arma Reforger/Arma4 VR Support

On 5/26/2022 at 5:13 AM, Sightline said:

Why?, because you said so?

Yeah, pretty much, seeing as it was me that wrote it. 😉

On 6/10/2022 at 9:13 AM, britforce said:

Yeah, pretty much, seeing as it was me that wrote it. 😉

Cool, I was just confirming that you have no legitimate reason.

On 5/23/2022 at 1:21 AM, bigshot said:

We understand...not sure you do VR though...do you understand that in order to get 4k in VR you need to proc 8K in reality? The minimum you would need right now is to proc 4k and that is just for the graphics having nothing to do with the heavy cpu loads that the terrain processing,

Resolution of current VR googles: Quest 2 = 1.8k / Index = 1.6k. Means: overall resulotion to render is <4k in total. Also current VR systems have VR performance features implemented so that you have an acceptable experience with 30fps (Don't remember the names of all the technologies but can confirm that this actually works). VR software shoots foe 60-90fps max to be in sync with the display framerate. And keep in mind: even future VR system will not have 4k per eye.

So, overall there is no performance issue with Arma and VR. Actually you can play Arma 3 with VorpX very well... but it's way to immersive as Arma 3 and all camera settings are not optimized for VR.

The basic issue is about the controls, the camera and shader settings and that the gameplay is basically different.

I also keep fingers crossed that there will be an option for the modding community to develop VR support.

Heh, forget the numbers on paper because it just doesn't reflect the reality of the real world perf. here...which can be problematic as it is, without even bringing VR into the equation.

Sure, fps in Arma is ok as long as there are careful restrictions in place limiting the AI and vehicles spawning in at one time, but in larger more popular missions it's already a severe challenge on a desktop proc, never mind a mobile.

I've spent the last 8-9 years modding DUWS for Arma3 and have learned a bit about the AI and it's performance issues. To say it's been frustrating is an understatement, but to take on that sort of a headache in VR on a mobile processor?... I'd have no will to, honestly (not in 2022/2023 anyway).