Gunter Severloh

ACES of the Sky v1.6

Couple of propositions:
1. All those spawn zones should be more transparent. When I use the map (and I use it quiet often) sometimes I can't quickly locate croshair indicated position of my plane because everything is dark. Also GPS is not so usefull because of shadows.

2. Spawn zones could be coloured (red for OPFOR, blue for BLUFOR, green for others). It would be more intuitive.

3. For choppers there may be missions like: evacuate somebody, deliver somebody, deliver cargo, transport cargo from A to B. I mean it would be good to use possibility of choppers to land and their hooks. For all assets there may be missions like: bomb the facility, other CAS. Those missions should be simple - nothing fancy.

4. Instead of spawning on the airfield there could be possibility of fast spawn. I mean if I don't want to pick another machine I just respawn above airfield in the movement with the same set of armoury.

5. For all those who don't like repair/refule/ammo zones, maybe you may do some depot for more manual maintenance?

6. Rearm zone on runway shouln'td be activated when player stops but if he is just inside. It would be just more convenient.

14 hours ago, kromka said:

1. All those spawn zones should be more transparent.

Can adjust that was my plan anyways in an update.

2. Spawn zones could be coloured

Not needed as all the spawn zones cover the entire map, the ai to engage spawn in the markers there is no set point at which they spawn.

3. For choppers there may be missions like:

No, to complicated, if anything it would have to be dynamic somehow where a code enables things to spawn and tasks to be set

i say no because its not that type of mission its you against ai be it plane, chopper or ground, then consider the 8 ports that would need to be updated too.

Dont know how, not interested but neat ideas non the less.

4. Instead of spawning on the airfield there could be possibility of fast spawn. I mean if I don't want to pick another machine I just respawn above airfield in the movement with the same set of armoury.

So your saying, when you get killed or crash, an alternative and a choice would be to basically save your plane or heli and its loadout and then when you respawn

have the option to spawn midflight with same plane/heli and loadout.

I like the idea but if i had an idea how to do that then i'd probably add it, all i know currently is how to keep loadout for infantry, dont know if it would work for planes or heli though

thats defined differently, then add in there set height, and speed too, dont forget im not a coder or scripter, im only pulling off from what i learned and the little help

i got from Rydygier.

5. For all those who don't like repair/refule/ammo zones, maybe you may do some depot for more manual maintenance?

How would that even work?

6. Rearm zone on runway shouln'td be activated when player stops but if he is just inside. It would be just more convenient.

It activates that way already, it activates when player is present in the trigger you dont need to stop.

• Like 1

1 and 2
Then instead of solid fill of zones there should be coloured shape lines (however I don't remember if it is possible)?

3, Its pitty. It would make the mission much more interesting. Anyway I believe you are righ about complexity.
4. This version may be also OK.
5. Well that kind of fancy stuff is always simplification, then I see two ways.
a) there is a depot (on the side of airfield) with all those necessary trucks

b) trucks are handled by AI and comes to the player (radio call) in the area of the airfield.

One thing I am not sure: is this effect worth of effort? Especially you indicate this is rather training mission.
6. Ok. I have to try it once again. I had impression it is active only during stop.
In the tutorial movie (about 12:18) you also say about it: stop and refill will start.

Video dont represent the current build of the mission what i say and show are only part accurate, updates have changed things

as they do with anything, but you shouldn't need to stop going through the trigger, although i would recommend not going through

it fast but you just need to be present in it to activate it.

Anyways not going to update this for a while as there was another request by HBAOplus previously

to add mod support for a couple of mods which i plan to do when i work on this again.

right now my focus is on Desert Ops run.

One gem at a time 😉

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 9:30 PM, HBAOplus said:

2 Can you add USAF mod and Legends of the USSR mod's planes to be usable in  Aces of the Sky?

I've added Both so far in my update for v1.6 which will be coming this week!

On 6/30/2022 at 9:30 PM, HBAOplus said:

3 Will ground vehicles from CUP and RHS be Spawnd as live enemies?

As i answered before let me add to what i said, currently in v1.5 only Arma 3 vanilla blufor, opfor and independent Apcs, tanks, & vehicles can be spawned.

Now in my next update v1.6 coming soon btw i've been working with my good friend Rydygier whos helped me sort out

some code to allow me to expand on things i can spawn.

So basically what im saying is in my next update which will be v1.6 i have a new way to add more things to spawn for the air and ground,

as before i was limited to just using radio triggers which limits you to 9 things you can spawn, but now that has changed

and i can add alot more!

So yes i will add CUP and RHS Apcs, tanks, and vehicles

i will add the very basic ones from the factions, when they spawn groups of them will spawn.

Right now im finishing up on adding the USAF mod planes, and will be working on adding CUP and RHS starting tomorrow.

Video

For v1.6 i plan to record a video for the update because i need to show the fans of the mission whats new and how some things work now

in terms of spawning enemy Apcs, tanks, and vehicles.

On 7/4/2022 at 5:25 AM, kromka said:

4. Instead of spawning on the airfield there could be possibility of fast spawn. I mean if I don't want to pick another machine I just respawn

above airfield in the movement with the same set of armory.

I'll ask Rydygier and see what he thinks on how this could be done, i mean if i look at what it would take, it probably would be

the following:

1. Respawn pilot into former chosen plane with same plane weapon loadout.

2. Set plane height at minimum of 200m above airfield.

3. Set plane thrust, or flight velocity probably using this or something similar as is currently used in the patrol script for the mission

_vehicle setVelocityModelSpace [0,110,0];
        _vehicle flyInHeight _altitude;  

I will get back to you on this and see if its possible, i like this idea too, because sometimes you want to just keep playing (flying) so to speak.

• Thanks 1

Hey Gunther! Now that we have at least 3 fighter/bombers on SOG (Phantom, Thud and Farmer), how about adding it as compactible airplanes for your template missions? 😉
I´m having a blast with Ace´s in the Sky, but adding SOG planes with Zeus isn´t as streamlined as using your scripted actions (wink wink)

Cheers!

22 minutes ago, corporal_lib[br] said:

we have at least 3 fighter/bombers on SOG (Phantom, Thud and Farmer), how about adding it as compactible airplanes for your template missions?

Hey corporal_lib[br]!

I can add them but you'll need to get me the classnames to those planes you want to add as i dont own the DLC.

On 7/22/2022 at 10:07 PM, Gunter Severloh said:

Hey corporal_lib[br]!

I can add them but you'll need to get me the classnames to those planes you want to add as i dont own the DLC.

Sure, I´ll look at those classnames and post them here!
Be Back in a couple of minutes lol

...some minutes later, after meadling with EDEN Editor and config viewer, giving up up and placing some units and checking their config...
So, I guess the F-4C Phantom (BLUFOR) has this classname "vn_b_air_f4C_*" (* = variants, be it AT, BMB, CAP, CBU, etc ... related to mission and specific loadout)
thus to not clutter your script, we may work with a CAP (dogfight)/ AT (anti vehicle) and SEAD (anti radar) variants:

vn_b_air_f4c_at
vn_b_air_f4c_cap
vn_b_air_f4c_sead

as fo the Thud (BLUFOR) and farmer (REDFOR)

vn_b_air_f100d_at
vn_b_air_f100d_cap
vn_b_air_f100d_sead

vn_o_air_mig19_at
vn_o_air_mig19_cap
vn_o_air_mig19_sead

Hope I´ve helped and thanks for your time and diligence 😃

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, corporal_lib[br] said:

Sure, I´ll look at those classanmes and post them here!

Just put the planes down you want, then right click them and grab them from the asset browser.

Unless theres a list somewhere of the classnames you can refer too.

3 hours ago, corporal_lib[br] said:

...some minutes later, after meadling with EDEN Editor and config viewer, giving up up and placing some units and checking their config...

Dont need to do that, config viewer has a loading time, doing that for each vehicle takes forever.

Just go to the faction side of the planes, open the factions, go to planes

place the planes you want to fly in eden, then theres two ways to grab classnames,

in Eden editor:

1. Individually - right click the plane and go down to find asset in browser

2. All - put down all the planes you want, then select all the planes, right click one of them while all are highlighted then go down to log

and then log classes to clipboard, then go back to your desktop to a notepad doc or forum thread, and press control v at your cursor

and all the classnames for everything you highlighted will be listed.

Alot faster!

3 hours ago, corporal_lib[br] said:

as fo the Thud (BLUFOR) and farmer (REDFOR)

So thats it, only Blufor and Opfor, no independent?

What about helicopters?

• Like 1

Oh, of course, I´ve totally oversighted the choppers: (indep is ARVN, which used american hardware so it´s kinda redundant - just copy n paste all BLUFOR classes do INDEP) 

bluefor
vn_b_air_uh1c_07_07

vn_b_air_ah1g_02
vn_b_air_ah1g_03

vn_b_air_ah1g_04

vn_b_air_oh6a_05

vn_b_air_oh6a_06

vn_b_air_uh1c_05_01

vn_b_air_uh1c_01_03

vn_b_air_uh1c_03_01

vn_b_air_ch34_04_03

vn_b_air_ch34_04_02

vn_b_air_ch34_04_01

opfor

vn_o_air_mi2_04_03

vn_o_air_mi2_04_05

vn_o_air_mi2_04_01

vn_o_air_mi2_05_02

vn_o_air_mi2_05_05

I guess we have the air warfare covered, right? lol

Cheers! 😃

• Thanks 1

So these helis all have weapons on them?, as any transport choppers shouldn't be included,

as there is nothing to transport, only enemy vehicles, and planes to destroy from vanilla arma 3 Cup and RHS in the latest version.

Also i have no way to test and spawn them, so i'll add them, and whomever had the dlc which i dont should be

able to spawn them.

Lastly there are only 8 maps to fly these planes and helis on so theres nothing Vietnam based for them, maybe Tanoa would be doable

but i guess that will be up to the player.

16 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

So these helis all have weapons on them?, as any transport choppers shouldn't be included,

as there is nothing to transport, only enemy vehicles, and planes to destroy from vanilla arma 3 Cup and RHS in the latest version.

Also i have no way to test and spawn them, so i'll add them, and whomever had the dlc which i dont should be

able to spawn them.

Lastly there are only 8 maps to fly these planes and helis on so theres nothing Vietnam based for them, maybe Tanoa would be doable

but i guess that will be up to the player.

Yep, I´ve chosen only the gunships (there´s a lot of models, but I´ve listed only the armed ones) as I thought the same way...
Tanoa is fine, I was playing on Malden, Tanoa make´s a helluva lotta sense 😃
I´ll test them with pleasure, thanks a lot for the addition, Gunther!

kudos! Cheers!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, corporal_lib[br] said:

Yep, I´ve chosen only the gunships

Great, will add them accordingly!

I plan to do more terrain ports but being this update is so massive it will only delay the update.

So i plan to work on some new ports after the update is released,

if you guys want to give me some suggestions of maps you would like to see this mission on, i'll take a look and add the mission to them.

v1.6 should be ready i hope by Friday the 29th, if not then Saturday the 30th for sure!

• Like 2

Update - v1.6

Changelog

v1.6
- Added mod support for Legends of USSR Planes mod -( you can now spawn and fly these planes).
- Added mod support for USAF planes mod - (you can now spawn and fly these planes).
- Added DLC support for SOG Prairie Fire - (you can now spawn and fly these planes & helicopters).
- Added an option to respawn mid flight in previous chosen plane, or respawn back at the sign at the airfield.
- Added the option to spawn CUP and RHS plane, apcs, tanks, & vehicles as enemies.
- Set the transparency to 0% for the large area map markers - (these are where the enemy ai planes, vehicles spawn).
- Planes to spawn will only show listed on the sign when a mod is loaded for those planes you want to fly.
- Enemy planes, apcs, tanks, & vehicle mods will only show listed under the 0-8 supports & 0-0 radio if mods are loaded.
- Added a HUD for player statistics which will show your plane kills, vehicle kills, and deaths at the top of the screen.
- Updated the briefing, adding a new section of info for spawn functions.

=======

This was 2 full weekends and a week of editing and coding, Rydygier and myself have been working on this.

I want to thank @Rydygier for his help and support, and his coding expertise on making this mission amazing with new features.

Check out the video above for a demonstration of whats new and how the mission plays!

• Thanks 2