Currently using side chat for friendly NATO  groups to report when they hit waypoints.and have added some ambient sounds etc to simulate radio squelch.

[west, "BLU"] sideChat "REAPER:This is REAPER,littlebird on station for light air support,over.";  playSound "squelch"; playSound "radio84"

Really nice,especially when having multiple groups,adds to immersion. 

it got me thinking how nicer it would be if i could get side chat to work and have a group report when its in combat or detected enemy,and enable me to create another side chat message for them to display.

I thought about using a trigger to detect when 'group A" detects opfor = play side chat/custom message.

thought about using repeating triggers but there are potentially 30 groups and that amount of repeating triggers may be a bad idea.

does anyone have a nice simple ,convinient and performance friendly way of setting this up? I i gota go with using triggers somehow,i may do it,but because this is my first time messing with side chat i thought some more knowledgable people out there may have better ideas.

Please share

forgot to add,groups respawn so perhaps a trigger that follows group is not usable

8 hours ago, redarmy said:

nice simple ,convinient and performance friendly way of setting this up?

Upcoming EH's on 2.10 https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3:_Event_Handlers#Group_Event_Handlers

Other than that, it's a lot of scripting if you want enemy type (infantry, vehicle, etc), size, distance, direction... (or maybe i'm just lazy).

To avoid triggers maybe start with a loop through allGroups running from initServer.sqf.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RCA3 said:

Upcoming EH's on 2.10 https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3:_Event_Handlers#Group_Event_Handlers

Other than that, it's a lot of scripting if you want enemy type (infantry, vehicle, etc), size, distance, direction... (or maybe i'm just lazy).

To avoid triggers maybe start with a loop through allGroups running from initServer.sqf.

Interesting.was looking at the new trigger interval setting. Whats your opinion on having 30 repeatable triggers that have condition "group 1 detect opfor" all the way to "group 30 detect opfor" ?  in terms of performance in a single player scenario.

I am to this day still unsure as to how much triggers can affect performance,iv read a few things but nothing conclusive.

Because im just looking for a quick and dirty way of doing this as "ambience" to mission,and not actually important about the groups reporting accurate contact,positions,or enemy type etc

13 hours ago, redarmy said:

I am to this day still unsure as to how much triggers can affect performance

I think it's all about the complexity of the condition. I just spawned 100,000 triggers simply checking for presence of WEST and saw no performance hit.

Now, when I say "no performance hit," I mean that I never dipped below the 60fps I am getting with VSync enabled. When I disable VSync, I start at @270fps and end up at @70fps. So there is absolutely a performance hit, but like so many things, context matters. It depends. Which is probably why you never found anything conclusive.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Harzach said:

I think it's all about the complexity of the condition. I just spawned 100,000 triggers simply checking for presence of WEST and saw no performance hit.

Now, when I say "no performance hit," I mean that I never dipped below the 60fps I am getting with VSync enabled. When I disable VSync, I start at @270fps and end up at @70fps. So there is absolutely a performance hit, but like so many things, context matters. It depends. Which is probably why you never found anything conclusive.

I salute you for that pretty dedicated testing lol.  

Yeah tbh honest since coming back to Arma3 iv abandoned all mods that add anything to the mission repeatedly,things like ALIVE etc which are constantly checking conditions...hammers my framerate. So when i make missions now,im using as few triggers as i can,deleting them after use is served,disabling sim on everything,and many other things and im running at a very healthy 50+ FPS "IN COMBAT" with 50-60 NATO infantry, 60-70 opfor infantry,CAS and around 7-10 vehicles.

Arma3 can run smooth but it takes absolute dedication and understanding when designing a scenario. I think its the little things like triggers etc ppl neglect quite often,hence my wonderment of their actual impact.  Thanks for your test il sleep well with my 30 trigger mission haha

15 hours ago, redarmy said:

Whats your opinion on having 30 repeatable triggers

This 👇

2 hours ago, Harzach said:

I think it's all about the complexity of the condition.

1 hour ago, redarmy said:

il sleep well with my 30 trigger mission haha

:woot:

Complex triggers, I mean complex conditions for triggers are checked every 0.5 sec. but you can cooldown that by the trigger interval (edited or scripted). I took the habit to set it at 2 sec, even for spawning units and that's fine with 50+ triggers. The must could be a check every 2 seconds but staggered, not at the same frame (I hope it's clear).

Think also about the simulation on triggers. Like any other object, you can enable / disable simulation. That's not too bad if you manage this feature during the scenario.

Other point I'm not sure to understand:  non-repeatable triggers are still checked every interval when the triggers are fired (so the condition is met). That's totally useless, imho.

TEST:

- place a non-repeatable trigger BLUFOR PRESENT

- condition field :   systemChat str thisList; this

- activation field :   hint "OK"

The trigger works as intended: hint OK once a blufor enters in area, but the condition is updated all mission long, for nuts (see system chat).

You can kill the trigger, adding deleteVehicle thisTrigger in activation field. For some triggers, you will not gain in performance. For hundreds... to be tested.

• Like 2