Sign in to follow this  
Nicoman35

Ballistics Computer - offset possible?

Following problem: The 40mm GMC launcher has a max range of 1500m. At rages up to... 300 to 400 m, all works well. You lase the range, the ballistics computer adjusts the weapon and the 40 mm grenade will hit the target with high accuracy. But - the further away the target is, let's say 1000m, the grenades will constantly fall short. No matter the elevation of the target. At 1500m, the max range the grenades will fall waaaay lower than the current crosshair position. My question: Is it somehow possible to adjust the elevation of the barrel in a way the grenades will impact the point the crosshair aims to? Maybe with some kind of range dependent offset?

Most likely timeToLive of the grenade is too short and ballistic computer is simply not able to calculate correct firing solution. Try modifying grenade timeToLive and see if its working

• Like 1

The grenades live until they impact somewhere. Life of grenade is not too short. They just impact much lower then where the crosshair is poitnted at.

I just placed a GMG on the top of a hill (200 ASL) and three pop-up targets on the top of another hill (100 ASL) 1500M away. 

FQSzbbK.jpg

I lased the middle target and, keeping the crosshair on the target, fired a ten-round burst. The rounds fell just short enough to not activate the target. 

4QSoWNJ.jpg

I did the same in VR with the same results, so it seems slant range is taken into account. 

Technically, IRL the MK19 is supposed to be point accurate to 1500M (max range 2200+M). If this could be "fixed" it should be, but I think we're well past that in A3's life cycle. But I'm actually fine with it.

23 hours ago, Nicoman35 said:

My question: Is it somehow possible to adjust the elevation of the barrel in a way the grenades will impact the point the crosshair aims to?

Not exactly, but this is where Kentucky windage comes into play. I can see my rounds hit just short, so I can just aim a little higher, or lase a position that's just a bit farther away. As you get closer to the max range of the weapon system, you'll need to adjust more than you think.

• Like 2

Many thanks for the answer. I do the Kentucky method too. It was just something bothering me like 'Damn, 2035 and the ballistic computer is not accurate'. But ok, it is as it is 🙂.

• Like 1