Wiki

New informations or announcement soon?

2 hours ago, Logan6 said:

So far, unimpressed.  Arma 2 looked better.

Someone said we should use Unreal Engine 5 for Arma 4.  I agree with that.  But I think an even BETTER engine would be the DCS: World engine.

They already have a HUGE World (soon to be the WHOLE World) AND the best Combat flight simulation money can buy.  All we need is vehicle modules and FPS.

Their graphics are at least as good as Arma 2, nearing Arma 3, and Unreal level when in the aircraft themselves.

This is the Engine we should look to for a future expansion of Arma.

I don't think BIS is interested in making another Arma.  They're going for cheap and easy console crap now.

I agree that the new game leaves some things to be desired, and that Reforger seems somewhat console-oriented (it remains to be seen which of those design choices will be propagated to A4 or whether they are just for Reforger).

That being said, this is a complete misunderstanding of how game engines work. UE5 is completely incapable of handling the terrain detail and scales of Arma, and the DCS engine isn't designed for small-scale infantry or physics in the slightest. The graphics technology in DCS are not in any way appropriate for a game like Arma; just because they both look realistic doesn't mean that they're at all similar under the hood or capable of being dropped into a completely different use case. Game programming is a lot more smoke-and-mirrors than you seem to think, the infrastructure that runs these games is not general enough that you would be able to build an FPS in the DCS engine or a flight sim in the Arma engine and get good results.

Trying to build Arma on top of either one of these engines would take as much effort to adapt them as it would to make a new engine, at which point you may as well just write a bespoke engine that's perfectly tailored to your needs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, the_demongod said:

I agree that the new game leaves some things to be desired, and that Reforger seems somewhat console-oriented (it remains to be seen which of those design choices will be propagated to A4 or whether they are just for Reforger).

In what sense?

It doesn't seem very console oriented to me. For one thing, it seems like it would be pretty unpleasant to try to navigate the inventory with a gamepad.

I lost my faith to BI long time ago,  hopefully they can prove me wrong.

Personally I would be more than happy with Arma 3 based on the new engine with far better optimization and some new features bringing technology into 2020s. Bad vibes,  performance and graphics with new engine are still nothing to cheer about, sound is better.

For me the big questions is...will this be a real plattform? Will BI include for example all the terrain resources from  previous Arma titles, maybe even the complete terrains. I would love to continue playing on Altis, Tanoa, Malden, Livonia..as well as on Chernarus, Takistan and Sahrani with all the good stuff Enfusion is bringing. To be honest I would be really pissed if we would get Enfusion with just  Everon and and a new map for Arma 4 and then have to wait another 10 years until the comunity painfully mananges to import all the old stuff and maps. Same goes of course for gear, weapons, vehicles and items etc...loosing all the good stuff from Arma 3 would be a pain in the ass for me!!

For me a real Arma plattform means having all of the Armaverse resources avaible for modding, ranging from the cold war to the 2035 scenario to whatever Arma 4 will be ! 

16 hours ago, nikiforos said:

I lost my faith to BI long time ago,  hopefully they can prove me wrong.

Personally I would be more than happy with Arma 3 based on the new engine with far better optimization and some new features bringing technology into 2020s.

14 hours ago, Private Evans said:

For me the big questions is...will this be a real plattform? Will BI include for example all the terrain resources from  previous Arma titles, maybe even the complete terrains. I would love to continue playing on Altis, Tanoa, Malden, Livonia..as well as on Chernarus, Takistan and Sahrani with all the good stuff Enfusion is bringing. To be honest I would be really pissed if we would get Enfusion with just  Everon and and a new map for Arma 4 and then have to wait another 10 years until the comunity painfully mananges to import all the old stuff and maps. Same goes of course for gear, weapons, vehicles and items etc...loosing all the good stuff from Arma 3 would be a pain in the ass for me!!

For me a real Arma plattform means having all of the Armaverse resources avaible for modding, ranging from the cold war to the 2035 scenario to whatever Arma 4 will be ! 

I don't know to what extent content from previous games can be ported, but regardless, Reforger seems promising as a new, more robust, platform - judging by the quality of the new tools. To be honest, I really don't mind if this new road isn't friendly to old content : at this point, I'd say having a sane base to work with is more important than retro-compatibility.

• Like 7

I personally find it very important to have high quality resources for creating new maps. Even if the game runs smooth like hell and everything is super cool...it will be boring after a short time if any map looks like the Czech Republic during the 1980ies....we had this before. We also know that there are not that many community members that are able and willing to create and also provide new building sets etc.

From my technical understanding most or maybe all statics from Arma 3 should work fine in Enfusion except for interiors, which I guess need some overhaul for the new interiors lighting/shadows. 

So for me the questions was/is...will BI provide this resource, or if not allow us to use and import them....hell they can even sell map packages as addons. 

Last but not least would it be super interesting to know how future maps can be edited in Enfusion...It would be so cool to completely change a map from let's say a future setting to a WW II setting or even a black Powder setting or the other way round into a sci fi map....I mean they are talking about Enfusion as a plattform.

6 hours ago, Private Evans said:

I wouldnt want to see those Islands just "ported" over as is. The reason is that just traversing one hillside of any random spot on this Everon has more life and interesting things to spot/experience than all of Stratis combined. This is what ive been waiting for, you wander upon an actual working creek streaming down a hillside, with paths and groves and even walking bridges (AI functional) all around it. Everything about following it down to where it empties in  the ocean - felt like i experienced a real place in the wilderness -not just lifeless terrain area x,y,z in which you just want to get thru as fast as possible to find the enemy.

At this point the level of detail on this new Everon is the Gold Standard -id play over any other top BI or Modders Island and frankly would probably buy every terrain made for it - as these are to be experienced.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, froggyluv said:

At this point the level of detail on this new Everon is the Gold Standard -id play over any other top BI or Modders Island and frankly would probably buy every terrain made for it - as these are to be experienced.

I agree, but only to a certain point, Everon is very pretty indeed but it just feels a little sterile to me, lacks immersive atmosphere at the moment. (I miss pollen blowing in the wind, and those purdy butterflies)

The skies are a huge disappointment for me in that regard, I'm hoping as development continues they find a way to make them marry what is seen on the ground. (truSky R.I.P)

Volumetric fog has been teased in a few screenshots and the showcase trailer but hasn't made it to the current version from what I can see.

But hey, Early Access and all that, still super excited to see what lies ahead. 

13 minutes ago, EO said:

I agree, but only to a certain point, Everon is very pretty indeed but it just feels a little sterile to me, lacks immersive atmosphere at the moment. (I miss pollen blowing in the wind, and those purdy butterflies)

The skies are a huge disappointment for me in that regard, I'm hoping as development continues they find a way to make them marry what is seen on the ground. (truSky R.I.P)

Volumetric fog has been teased in a few screenshots and the showcase trailer but hasn't made it to the current version from what I can see.

But hey, Early Access and all that, still super excited to see what lies ahead. 

What im more referring to is the layout of the land. For instance following that stream down the hillside (which you could say compare to the downhill of a hillside north Of Agia Marina in Stratis - theres were some groves of trees that were organically sprouted around this stream and hillside. I had planted some ZEUS enemies much further down towards the shoreline earlier, but they must have heard some earlier contact and moved up and taken position in those trees. That little shady nook of trees held a real ambush site and thats exactly what happened there, they were huddled down and opened up a MG on us as my guys (who you really cant control) went dashing around the stream to better cover. 

That could never happen in stratis or many other islands in that proper FOV -the way it played out. The way islands are rendered in Arma 3, there just isnt much room for this sort of surprise unless its just crazy thick jungle vegetation. Also all around me im just now discovering actual lil caves and mines also following the creek down, and a fork in the creek where an old rust Dyke is - I mean its just swimming with this sorta stuff. I know your a Skies Guy 😛 and yes maybe they're not up to par yet, but i honestly just never felt so invested in a slab of terrain in Arma 3 -ive been waiting for it to have that "You really are somewhere else" -feel to it. Agia Marina is literally lifeless on a hillside down to the water -like zero interesting objects or type of undulating terrain -its merely something to pass

• Like 1

I'll take Reforger over Arma III any day, so far the experience has been extraordinary (when the servers permit). Arma III has never run this well under any circumstance, it's about time Arma's engine allows for consistent 60+ FPS. Also, there's a whole host of small details that really add a lot to the overall experience. Now we wait... Patiently. After years, Refoger has given me a reason to return.

Spoiler

unknown.png

39 minutes ago, CaptainAzimuth said:

I'll take Reforger over Arma III any day

To each their own, imo i'll take Eden editor over what Reforger has currently which is added complexity that puts the editor based

fans in a different realm of game. The gamemaster part is neat, but im so used to Eden, its structure, file setup how you edit missions,

ect,. its going to take me some time to get used to the new setup and really like it to where i want to build something worth sharing.

Tbh it really doesn't have much to offer me currently even though i do like it, i love 😍 the new map, but i need my editor thats

the life blood of Arma for me, it allows me to explore, create, and be that little kid running around in the field with his

imagination, something i can call mine.

My brain isn't accepting this game yet, meaning i cant set aside alot of time to play it, or fully commit myself to it, with my many projects for

Arma 3 and commitment/dedication to the community, i just cant bare to stop and part and just go to Reforger fully.

5 hours ago, froggyluv said:

Yes i agree, considering that i would hope and think that BI will add the other islands Malden, Nogovo, Kolgujev that would make

AR more complete so to speak in terms of being Nostalgic.

What would seriously be badass is the original campaign from OFP ported to AR, or even recreated probably would be ideal.

• Like 7

On 5/21/2022 at 12:16 AM, roshnak said:

In what sense?

It doesn't seem very console oriented to me. For one thing, it seems like it would be pretty unpleasant to try to navigate the inventory with a gamepad.

It's not heavily console-oriented, but the menus UIs are console UIs that are irritating to navigate with a mouse compared to the A3 menus, and the new GM interface is a massive step down from A3 Zeus. I don't see it every being used for serious GMing of real ops. The inventory is the only thing that doesn't seem very usable on console (and ironically it's the only GUI in the game I find tolerable).

The game itself is scaled down to shorter-range conflicts (mostly by the reduced eye zoom), either to make it more accessible to people who are new to Arma, or possibly to save performance (game might not be able to render enough detail at range yet), or maybe both. This is a good example of what I was talking about earlier; since we don't know exactly what BI's intentions are, it's hard to know whether BI has reduced the eye zoom just for the purposes of Reforger, or whether it's an indication of how they think Arma 4 should be. Without knowing, it's hard to provide feedback, since saying "this sucks, Arma isn't like this" isn't constructive if it's just a Reforger-specific design, yet accepting it without comment doesn't tell BI that Arma 4 really needs to have the original eye zoom back.

This is most likely nothing more than a communication issue on BI's end. I assume these changes are indeed just temporary experimentation with more casual gameplay, similar to the Argo project. But without that context it's hard to not assume the worst and provide a lot of critical feedback to make sure that A4 isn't going to end up feeling like Reforger.

Conflict is a fun mode, havent had this fun online in a long time, maybe back in VBS1 days,

however, the endless crashing needs to get fixed but the future looking great.

(graphics looking great too, look at water and tree in close up, insane graphics.

Thanks BIS for a good job.

2 hours ago, EO said:

The first Dev Report has been published, it mentions these forum boards have not been forgotten and will be live very soon. 

https://reforger.armaplatform.com/news/dev-report-1

Good to know. Might be useful if they did something like a reddit AMA so we can get a picture of what's to come and what isn't. 

Anyone found many Coop Servers or have one? I found a few but all seem to be pas- worded 😞

So is there not a way to remove default key bindings?  Or am I just missing it?  I can change a key binding to something other than default, and I can remove that changed key bind, but I can't make a default key bind become nothing.  Looking at the key binds in the profile file, it only shows changed key binds, so that doesn't look like an easy answer.

After 21 years, my OFP/Arma muscle memory is pretty set.

47 minutes ago, gatordev said:

So is there not a way to remove default key bindings?  Or am I just missing it?  I can change a key binding to something other than default, and I can remove that changed key bind, but I can't make a default key bind become nothing.  Looking at the key binds in the profile file, it only shows changed key binds, so that doesn't look like an easy answer.

After 21 years, my OFP/Arma muscle memory is pretty set.

I've not found one yet mate - I'm in the same boat with 21 years in! Cheers

• Like 1