Wiki

New informations or announcement soon?

Arma 4 without AI for me as a single player would be a huge disappointment and eventually the end of an era.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, superfish128 said:

Sure, doesn't change the fact that most MP in the Arma series uses AI in a coop way which in that leak say that coop will be included. Everything is changed so how do you test if AI is better? By releasing it in the test demo

I don't think we should call it a demo, that implies that it's free to play. The new leak says it will be paid content, and implies micro transactions may come in the future. 

12 minutes ago, Rich_R said:

Just as a sidenote to the conversation, it's great to see activity on these otherwise quiet forums 😏

Yep, it's been dead around here for years now. The "leaked" document emphasizes rebuilding the community. They know they've taken so long to create the next Arma, that most of the community has drifted away. If Reforger is PvP only, and is watered down for consoles, and console players, I have my doubts about how much of the core community will come back.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, stburr91 said:

I don't think we should call it a demo, that implies that it's free to play. The new leak says it will be paid content, and implies micro transactions may come in the future. 

Yep, it's been dead around here for years now. The "leaked" document emphasizes rebuilding the community. They know they've taken some long to create the next Arma, that most of the community has drifted away. If Reforger is PvP only, and is watered down for consoles, and console players, I have my doubts about how much of the core community will come back.

It's their words as far as we know, I wouldn't say all demos are free. I get what you're saying though and agree that this will be it's own mini game that is a tease for arma 4

3 minutes ago, stburr91 said:

I have my doubts about how much of the core community will come back.

Pretty much this. Shame really, I was always amazed at the talent and effort of the Arma community.

Think positive thoughts though!

• Like 1

The one thing ive noticed missing for a loooongtime -where is the Dev who loves Operation Flashpoint and wants nothing more than to advance that first Lightning in a Bottle to standard technologies -AI and all?!  Are there still original Devs present who remember what it was that made the initial title (and sequels) so popular and want nothing more than to advance that foundational stone of an idea? Or are these a new younger breeded Developers (hired guns) with faded memory of a quirky campaign but see dollar signs rather at the idea that out of this came the hugely profitable Royale PvP games and they need to find a way to (re?)claim its resource?

26 minutes ago, froggyluv said:

The one thing ive noticed missing for a loooongtime -where is the Dev who loves Operation Flashpoint and wants nothing more than to advance that first Lightning in a Bottle to standard technologies -AI and all?!  Are there still original Devs present who remember what it was that made the initial title (and sequels) so popular and want nothing more than to advance that foundational stone of an idea? Or are these a new younger breeded Developers (hired guns) with faded memory of a quirky campaign but see dollar signs rather at the idea that out of this came the hugely profitable Royale PvP games and they need to find a way to (re?)claim its resource?

Marek (founder of BI) Is still there, I think his brother is as well (Cofounder), those were the two people that brought OFP to be real. I'm sure Magic industries, and codemasters did help out, but I'm not sure any of those people would be at BI. Also having arma 3 come out in 2013 I'm willing to say most devs that worked on 3 will have worked on this and will work on 4. Even if this demo is just PVP (which I still doubt) It's just to create more hype about the enfusion engine and create some extra money for the actual arma 4 game

19 minutes ago, superfish128 said:

Marek (founder of BI) Is still there, I think his brother is as well (Cofounder), those were the two people that brought OFP to be real. I'm sure Magic industries, and codemasters did help out, but I'm not sure any of those people would be at BI. Also having arma 3 come out in 2013 I'm willing to say most devs that worked on 3 will have worked on this and will work on 4. Even if this demo is just PVP (which I still doubt) It's just to create more hype about the enfusion engine and create some extra money for the actual arma 4 game

If you've been here from the beginning -you'd have seen and heard the definite downshift in the planned development of AI since Arm2 -with Arma 3 basically still coasting on its roots. Youd have heard devs basically state that they've lost full control of the AI -hence why we always had animation problems ie. civs holstering rifles, dying on 100mm curbside fall, inability to stay orientated on target, calibrating realistic fighting/spotting skills, absolutely zero distinction if fighting Urban, woods, in a house etc etc etc.. Bohemia than blatantly started ignoring AI going into Tanoa giving us a map that the AI cant traverse as well as a Multiplayer only scenario/campaign

So where exactly are you drawing this optism from - just blindly? The PDF clearly states they want to connect with their TargetBase -they would need to address that AI development/overhaul is at least on the table to keep the Ol Bohemian Grognards happy. But if you've noticed -they've tended to ignore any and all questions about AI since they actually had an AI dept -i dont believe that exists anymore

...and I have a sneaking suspicion we arent their 'TargetBase'...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, froggyluv said:

If you've been here from the beginning -you'd have seen and heard the definite downshift in the planned development of AI since Arm2 -with Arma 3 basically still coasting on its roots. Youd have heard devs basically state that they've lost full control of the AI -hence why we always had animation problems ie. civs holstering rifles, dying on 100mm curbside fall, inability to stay orientated on target, calibrating realistic fighting/spotting skills, absolutely zero distinction if fighting Urban, woods, in a house etc etc etc.. Bohemia than blatantly started ignoring AI going into Tanoa giving us a map that the AI cant traverse as well as a Multiplayer only scenario/campaign

So where exactly are you drawing this optism from - just blindly? The PDF clearly states they want to connect with their TargetBase -they would need to address that AI development/overhaul is at least on the table to keep the Ol Bohemian Grognards happy. But if you've noticed -they've tended to ignore any and all questions about AI since they actually had an AI dept -i dont believe that exists anymore

...and I have a sneaking suspicion we arent their 'TargetBase'...

Hahah I'm not really gonna say much cause I mean what you are basing anything about this demo is the same thing I am, there literally isn't anything to say that there is or isn't AI in the leak. It's all speculation, and yeah I'm more optimistic then pessimistic, it's true you can see the decline in the AI, but guess what it's a new engine with a new type of code than RV engine so you can't really compare this to that... Especially since all we have is guess work and a leak that could be faked (doubt it is but still could be). 

I'm not sure where you're drawing all this negativity from? Guess we agree to disagree 🙂 

If the leak is the end all be all I'll leave this here, 
Pg. 40 in the pdf leak "✚ Multiplayer game mode, featuring competitive and cooperative gameplay". Someone can tell me how you have a military shooter in a coop setting without AI though

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, superfish128 said:

I'm not sure where you're drawing all this negativity from? Guess we agree to disagree

Not sure if just being glib or...  

Because the trajectory has been to move away from AI development for a long time. Because moving to a Console and more "accessible" market usually spells disaster for PC intensive aspects like advanced AI especially on a large scale. Because Enfusion or whatever DayZ is using hasnt shown us any promise of any AI besides mindless Zombiebots. You have to admit there is far more reason to be apprehensive or Negative than positive on this angle.

As far as "because theres Co-op" -could easily just be Arma3 which is Arma 2 which is a convoluted OFP AI slightly rehashed. Anyways I hope your right and im 100% wrong here- but i been here a while..

2 minutes ago, froggyluv said:

Not sure if just being glib or...  

Because the trajectory has been to move away from AI development for a long time. Because moving to a Console and more "accessible" market usually spells disaster for PC intensive aspects like advanced AI especially on a large scale. Because Enfusion or whatever DayZ is using hasnt shown us any promise of any AI besides mindless Zombiebots. You have to admit there is far more reason to be apprehensive or Negative than positive on this angle.

As far as "because theres Co-op" -could easily just be Arma3 which is Arma 2 which is a convoluted OFP AI slightly rehashed. Anyways I hope your right and im 100% wrong here- but i been here a while..

Mainly Glib. 

I get what your saying man, I've been around since OFP as well. I do agree that the focus left from AI long ago, but what I feel your missing is this is a complete rehash, so yes I am being optimistic, because they have decided to start over again. If they were still using RV3 yeah I would 100% agree with you, but since we have nothing to go on I choose to be hopeful and I do feel like BI tries to listen to it's community where it is possible. Yeah I hope I'm right as well, but like I said I'm willing to say I could be wrong

I just hope there will be good SP content in Arm4

• Like 2

Now, having completely read the leaked document, we all know that on the one hand BI clearly situates Arma Reforger as a return to Arma's roots in the continuity of its choices and its values and as the necessary evolution of both the from the point of view of the game engine and the choice of platforms. For the details and not to invent / imagine elements that are not explicitly described in the document, the best is to wait for the 17th. We have been waiting for years, we can wait 3 more days ...

• Like 4

the "leak" document declares "no DLC" but everything calls the CDLC like Global Mobilizations in the nearest future

Oh dear.  Another doomed project to fail, but yes dev, milk that console cash-cow!

13 hours ago, stburr91 said:

I have my doubts about how much of the core community will come back.

Who do you consider 'core community' ?

And if they were core, why did they leave ?

Regards the thread, wait till 17th and keep fingers crossed.

5 hours ago, britforce said:

Who do you consider 'core community' ?

And if they were core, why did they leave ?

Regards the thread, wait till 17th and keep fingers crossed.

I would say the core of the community were the players who have been playing the game for many years, people who have produced much of the community created content, the players that have substantial brand loyalty. They drifted away because of how old, and stale the game has become, with Arma 3 being 9+ years old, on a 20+ year old game engine. Many of these people have been playing this game since 2001, BI took way too long to create the next Arma game, so many of the core player base left, and now they are in a position of needing to rebuild a community (not to mention take on Chinese investors). 

I do agree with you that everyone should just wait until we get more official news, hopefully that will happen on the 17th.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stburr91 said:

I would say the core of the community were the players who have been playing the game for many years, people who have produced much of the community created content, the players that have substantial brand loyalty. They drifted away because of how old, and stale the game has become, with Arma 3 being 9+ years old, on a 20+ year old game engine. Many of these people have been playing this game since 2001, BI took way too long to create the next Arma game, so many of the core player base left, and now they are in a position of needing to rebuild a community (not to mention take on Chinese investors). 

I do agree with you that everyone should just wait until we get more official news, hopefully that will happen on the 17th.  

My case exactly

Been playing since OFP back in 2001, but it has been too long since 2013

No more new content for a long time (SP content, new assets, etc...)

Reforger seems MP focused.

Guess I'll have to wait more years for Arm4...

8 hours ago, kremator said:

Oh dear.  Another doomed project to fail, but yes dev, milk that console cash-cow!

That's not exactly new though. BI's always wanted to jump onto the console bandwagon since Arma 2 but hasn't been able to because of hardware limitations:

[...]

"I personally really like consoles so I would love to see it on there, but for Arma 3, from the start it was developed as PC only, and it wouldn't do it justice - there wouldn't be an easy port to console. You'd really have to redesign stuff like how the controls work, and the interface, so for Arma 3 that's out of the scope. For something that is next, it is becoming much more likely to be multiplatform."

The team apparently tried to port Arma 2 to Xbox 360, but, van t' Land told me, "we couldn't get it right".

For the next two years, the 50-70 person Arma 3 team will focus on, simply, Arma 3.

"Arma 3 we are supporting at least for the next two years," declared van t' Land. "We have the plans in place for that. Whatever is next [ie Arma 4], I don't think a lot will happen this year in terms of pre-production. But 2015 will be the year when we need to start thinking about what's next. We don't have concrete plans at the moment.

[...]

(source)

Whether or not this leaked game ends up becoming a flop is a different matter, of course. OFP Elite: Electric Boogaloo 2 inbound? 😁

On Enfusion page its mentioned that among different tools there was ai editor. So why you already worry about no ai in Arma 4?🙂

• Like 1

In the guide its said that the gameplay is infantry focused so that means no air assets in arma 4?😁 People started to worry too early😉

• Like 2

At this point during A3's development, we all thought there were going to be railguns and lasers and aliens.

Anyway, 

yBT6FwU.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Seems like the leaks from last year were spot-on, I just hope we get the possibility to make singleplayer scenarios..

2 more days!

• Like 1

Holy moly guys!

Arma Reforger will have AI. There is no doubt about this.

Arma Reforger could be dumbed down for console players.

But, we all knew something needed to be done about RV4 roughness and we needed to see a more smooth experience.

But, there will be mods for more advanced movement.

• Like 2

On 5/14/2022 at 2:48 AM, froggyluv said:

Already in my bomb bunker preparing for those fateful words “MP-Based”…meaning no AI

My, "Strong MP focus", "Monetization", "No DLC", I don't like the sound of them all in one place... There's even no mention of custom SP scenario it got me worried. I won't complain about braindead AI without adequate command feature anymore but BI I beg you spare the bots.

And it seems ARMA 4 is stuck in development hell. Don't tell me they can't get savegame working is the reason why they don't have any SP...