Sign in to follow this  
BabaZed

Color depth question

Hi, is there a command you can put in the command line param of a games shortcut to change the color depth from 32bit to 16 bit?.

example is the '-window' and '-no splash' command

Hmmm prolly more erring towards TS this one smile.gif

Do you mean games in general or Opf? Because Opf I just select it in the options and it saves what I choose, or am I missing the point of your question completely? (very possible with the fact I haven't been home from work long wink.gif)

In that case then I'm afraid it varies from game to game, 99.9% of the games I've played allow you to alter this in the options/settings part of the game and will save your setting so next time you run the game it is using the colour depth you chose smile.gif

lol, i bet that .1% has to be Superbikes 2001 biggrin.gif

the only game ive played that does it, it just won't run in 32bit so i have to keep changing to 16bit everytime i wanna play it.

tsk no matter, thanx anyways

Half-Life seems to not like when you have 32-bit color depth on your desktop. Not that I play it anymore, it just always seemed to wig out whenever I tried to alt tab...

Games that use the Quake engine including Half life use OpenGL which automatically uses the desktop color depth. I believe the nVidia drivers allow that to be configured manually however you may still find that opengl changes the texture format even when the display is set to another mode. Eg. it is possible to have 16bit display with 32bit texture and viceversa, (dithering may be applied when 32bit is used in 16bit modes).