padi

[WIP] [CAMP] [GM] My Mistake

Hi,

this is the WIP-Release of the upcoming „My Mistake“ Campaign.

The Story is about a grandfather, who is very sick and gets his family around him to tell them about a mistake he did in his life, which he wants to talk about before his death.

He starts with the last few days before his mandatory military service where the player visits friends behind the Iron Curtain in East Germany.

Then war erupts and the player is thrown into the fight to save his and his comrades lives and their country from an invasion with unknown intentions.

After this the player experiences the whole military career of the grandpa and discovers what he meant with the words „I made a horrible mistake“...

20220308231138-1.jpg

Current state of the Campaign:

Currently in the WIP release there are 3 missions with more to come as they are created into a playable state. None of these are 100% finished, which I do besides finishing the other missions, but they should be mostly bug free and are only lacking some immersive touch on like more AI civilians or more ambient conversations...

Remarks:

The campaign is nowhere near finished, and I didn´t start with creating it from the first mission on as these are missions where big parts of Altis and Tanoa need to be decorated, which I started with, but isn´t finished and needs more time.

Also for now I skip everything that happens before the conflict with the GDR (about 10 missions, mostly training and immersion focused) as this part of the campaign (the second part) is planned out completely and I used the first mission of it to experiment with some mechanics that I want to use throughout the whole campaign and continued from there.

What makes my campaign special is that it is a really realistic story that I develop in cooperation with a military advisor to keep it realistic on a strategic as well as tactical level so the player could be fully immersed into the life of the grandpa.
I try to build as much randomness in the missions as possible, in one mission there are over 40 different possibilities how a conversation could unfold according to how a artillery barrage hits a target and that also changes the next mission on this point.
Also there are often multiple possible ways to complete the mission.

Because of this it takes long for the missions to be completed, but I think it´s worth it if the mission is better afterwards.

20220315210139-1.jpg

Features:

-Realistic and immersive campaign

-Many random elements

-Story changing corresponding to player and AI actions

-Custom dialogues

-Very long campaign (story spans over roughly 50 years) with potentially over 100 missions

-Voice acting and cutscenes between and during the missions planned

-Training missions to teach you what you need to know (coming in the future)

-German and English localization (no english localization in the second mission, but it could come soon)

20220315212936-1.jpg

I´m looking for your help finishing the campaign:

Due to the massive scale of the campaign any help is greatly appreciated as currently I create this campaign alone with some help in testing, scripting and localization, but basically alone this would take forever to finish.

Primarily needed is help in mission creation, scripting, testing, voice acting and localization in other languages.

It doesn´t matter what you could do, if you want to contribute we find a role for you.

If you find any bugs feel free to share them, so I could fix them.

Also if you have suggestions for improvements please share them so I could implement them.

I hope you enjoy this campaign.

Requirements to play:

- Global Mobilization Cold War Germany CDLC

Workshop-Link:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2791570343

You could join the projects Discord Server here or contact me via PM or simply reply here, I will try to answer as fast as possible.

Credits:

Jaentzen for help, advice, tips, testing and English translation

Zink for suggestions and testing

Sturmhuhn for suggestions and testing

Gonzka for help with scripting

[101.JgBtl] Th3_Jock3R for help with scripting

Alpha993 for help with scripting the artillery attack in Barmke

StellaStrela for the templates in the package "Weferlingen - Border Crossing Point and Military Bases"

• Like 3

The campaign got a big update today as I updated it with everything I managed to fix and improve over the last month after the initial release.

Here´s the changelog:

Countless fixes and improvements to the campaign.
Improved the third mission with a third possible course.
Finally fixed the bug in the third mission that prevented the completion of the checking of the battle positions in some playthroughs.

• Like 1

Big news today, @kuro is joining the development team as our new Lead Scripter.

Also he will continue to contribute as tester and will be one of the voice actors of the campaign.

Stay tuned for updates, a new update is only a few weeks away.

• Like 1

If this campaign is going to have missions set in different decades then are you going to use different mods and addons for units and such?

Are you sure that making a hundred missions is necessary for the story? Even the original Cold War Crisis campaign has about 40 missions and seems like max amount for me personally. Are the missions going to be more story based with cinematics or more combat and quantity orientated?

Your project seems cool overall. Keep up the work!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Kalle M. said:

If this campaign is going to have missions set in different decades then are you going to use different mods and addons for units and such?

Are you sure that making a hundred missions is necessary for the story? Even the original Cold War Crisis campaign has about 40 missions and seems like max amount for me personally. Are the missions going to be more story based with cinematics or more combat and quantity orientated?

Your project seems cool overall. Keep up the work!

At the end the story will span the time from the 1980s to 2035.

When they become needed mods will be added to tell the story in the best way possible.

I don´t know how many missions the campaign will contain at the end. 100 are possible, but nobody knows at this point. I build the planned story and then at the end there will be a number.

There are 5 segments in this campaign. Just the inner german conflict segment contains at least 20 missions, maybe it will become more during actual building.

But you won´t have the whole number of missions to play through as there are multiple points in the story where there is more than one way to continue the story with different missions depending on the choice.

I work 100% quality oriented!

The whole campaign is very realistic, slow to medium paced and immersive.

I try to include memorable cinematics, but that is extremely hard for me as my experience with these isn´t much. For this reason they are sadly very basic for now but should be improved sometimes in the future.

Thanks for the kind words, we will continue to work on it.

• Thanks 1

Hello,

we are still looking for interested voice actors for this campaign. In terms of volume, there is everything from one to several dozen lines, if someone would like to contribute more extensively.

We are looking for German as well as a few English voice actors.

If anyone is interested please message me and I will be happy to answer any questions.

Today is an important day for me as it ist the first anniversary of the start of mission creation.

At last years christmas after all the appointments were finished and I concluded the planning phase I sat down and started the building of the campaign.

Now one year later there are 14 missions more or less in development.

Of these 1 is at about 95+% completed, 5 at about 80-90%, 1 at about 60-70%, 1 at about 30-40% and the other 6 were just testbeds for different things that need to be massively improved to get them to be used in the campaign.

It was a very hard year as I needed to learn so many things from the ground up but at the same time it was great to get the things working and improving unless there was nothing more to improve...

Also it was nice getting help from many different people when I struggled with certain things.

I hope 2023 will present new highs for the campaign.

See you in 2023 and stay tuned for the new campaign update which for the first time will feature the first mission of the whole campaign.

• Thanks 1