fluffysquirrel7878

help with a convoy waypoint and trigger chain?

Hello! I think I am going to struggle to explain this as someone new to the editor so please be merciful if this gets wordy. In this scenario I have a convoy that moves out one truck at a time, and stop while it waits for an APC to clear out the town ahead, then it moves ahead. Everything goes well until the last car, which doesn't move and I don't know why. The chain in the second image works by the trigger in the town is set off by the APC, which skips a hold waypoint on the first car,  which runs over another trigger that has it's owner set to the first car. That trigger has a waypoint activation to a hold waypoint on the second car, which has it's own trigger that it is the owner of. That trigger links to a hold waypoint on the the third car and so on. Sorry for being wordy, does anyone have any ideas?

g6Nvzut.pngkqlPhvr.png

Welcome on forum.

Are you sure your trigger areas are wide and high enough? (did you test the activation by adding a hint?)

Although I can't see the blue/black lines linking the trigger/waypoints of the second to the last car (on the upper side), I assume they are there as you described.  If they are then my thought is that the second to last car is starting so close to its "MOVE" waypoint that as soon as its switched, the "MOVE" is considered complete and thus that car never actually moves through its trigger.  Vehicles don't need to get all the way to their waypoint for it to complete, although they usually will, but if they are close enough when its assigned they never actually move.  In this case I believe the second-to-last car is doing this, just skipping its first MOVE right onto the next one and bypassing the small trigger area.

2 hours ago, dwringer said:

Although I can't see the blue/black lines linking the trigger/waypoints of the second to the last car (on the upper side),

Stay in 2D 3DEN for that.

2 hours ago, dwringer said:

I assume they are there as you described.

No, I wrote about the volume of your triggers' areas.

If you link a vehicle to a trigger (I guess you don't, the preset condition is set for the vehicle). Not the case here.

If you link the trigger to a waypoint, the waypoint is completed when the trigger activation is met. In this case, all depends on what you are setting for the trigger: the volume (we are speaking about area but you can limit the height of the trigger: the bad side is your trigger can be too low or too high on uneven ground). So, even the vehicle is very close, if the trigger condition is not met, for a reason or another, the waypoint is not completed and the vehicle stops.

1 hour ago, pierremgi said:

Stay in 2D 3DEN for that.

No, I wrote about the volume of your triggers' areas.

Sorry but I think there's some confusion. I'm not the OP, I was offering the OP a possible explanation for why the last car in his chain isn't being triggered. I should have clarified that's who I was replying to.

My suggestion is that the second-to-last car is initialized so close to its move waypoint, that as soon as it is ordered to move into its trigger area, the waypoint is marked as complete (before the vehicle enters the trigger area!). Then, the second-to-last car just drives off without ever going into its trigger area to trigger the last car.

I could be wrong, that's just what I would suspect.

Hey, thanks for the support! I wanted to keep working on the infantry movements after they dismount and I needed this to work, so I transformed the last car into the second one and just deleted the last one since it was not crucial, and it obviously works fine now. I meant to say this on this topic, but I forgot, but I thank you for responding anyways. On the topic of using a hint, I have never done that before but thinking about it I like the idea. I believe the volume and position of the trigger was fine.

23 hours ago, dwringer said:

If they are then my thought is that the second to last car is starting so close to its "MOVE" waypoint that as soon as its switched, the "MOVE" is considered complete and thus that car never actually moves through its trigger.  

Maybe I am misunderstanding you here, but the second cars move waypoint isn't even in frame. It's move waypoint is about a kilometer off, and the car is just on safe mode so it follows the road. I didn't want the car to have all the janky stops it usually does with a bunch of lined of move waypoints. thought through the logic of it twice and everything is linked up. The car does pass through the trigger. The issue I see, is that the UAZ is maybe not passing through enough of the trigger. I don't know how to display a hint when the trigger is set off, so that doesn't help much. (though I am going to go and try to learn that) 

My point is, I already edited this to just go around the problem, and though I would like to I don't really want to go back in and redo all of the waypoints for the last car and such. I thank you for your support and after seeing this I will most definitely be coming back to these forums if I have another issue. Thanks!

• Like 1