Sign in to follow this  
froggyluv

Why is Aiming So Easy

One thing about this series that always struck me was -why is it so easy to hit an enemy even at 400m+ out? Im an old timer (51yo) and yet its really no biggie to 1 shot an enemy tank crew who's head is turned out at 150m with just iron sights. I feel like something in the world of Parallax? maybe is missing. Like its just a 2d world and i merely have to align pixels and blam -kill shot no problem. Almost like a part of the 3dworld dynamic is missing. For instance in some other games like Insurgency and many of the new VR FPS games, I cant hit anything easily outside of 50m. I mean I can, but it feels like  i really had to work for it.

So what is it that missing in Arma? I know the recoil/hand shake setting has some effect here and maybe the default one is just set to easily

• Like 2

I think that with FPS games in general, trying to add a difficulty to hitting a target you're aiming at correctly could cause some annoyance. Like, there's fatigue/weight/environment/etc that can be used to cause a difficulty to aiming at the target and keeping it steady, and that's annoying but it's something you can try to deal with.

Now, I can't speak on Insurgency, but I have played a little bit of VR FPS and yeah, it was fun. I've always been well aware of how easy it is to aim in regular keyboard+mouse gaming, just like you said. There's so much that goes into achieving a stable firing platform and the training and muscle memory that goes into it in reality, and to be honest, I'm not sure how replicating that in a 2D, K+M environment can be made fun or entertaining, or even how you could go about replicating it without some arbitrarily enforced inaccuracy. I've even found round dispersion a little annoying, as well as things like simulating weapon stoppages. But again, in VR I liked being able/required to perform the correct drills to clear stoppages.

So that's my thoughts on it anyway, and it's a pretty subjective topic I think. I know there'd be people out there with a different idea of what they'd enjoy seeing. Honestly though, it's not an easy thing to achieve in a 2D environment, but with VR I think it would just naturally become another aspect to becoming good at FPS gaming.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KNlGHT said:

That is an okay work around I guess, but would be better (read: more immersive) if the shift in vision was randomised and not the same each time, or in some way impacted by turning inertia etc.

The predictable/non-randomised movement would get annoying after a while,

At some point they decided that having no aim deviation based on human factors like movement, breathing etc. was a way to get more players who are used to traditional FPS games. So now the aimpoint is glued to the centre of your screen, making it very easy to line up a shot in any conditions. The excessive zoom eyes don't help, it's a level of zoom which made sense for the 1024x768 days of flashpoint, simply to compensate for the low resolution of the game. but as 1440p and 4k screens have become more common, it makes less and less sense to have that level of zoom through 1x optics.

• Like 1

Another option is to increase the aiming deadzone in the gameplay options.

You could also increase the fatigue or have fatigue in general, increase your sway forcing you to brace your weapon.

A function back in the RO1 days for machinegunners was you couldn't just shoot your gun from any position, you had

to deploy it, be it on the ground prone or braced against something.

Such limitations brought about more creative and faster means to deploy and get out of it enabling you to move and setup somewhere else.

As that is not specific to aiming in the sense, the concept in general is find a way to have limitations, like another mod from laxmann was his arm fatigue mod

where you couldn't hold the gun up for a long time as it would fatigue your arms and force you to lower it, effecting sway and accuracy.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2022 at 1:52 AM, froggyluv said:

For instance in some other games like Insurgency and many of the new VR FPS games, I cant hit anything easily outside of 50m. I mean I can, but it feels like  i really had to work for it.

Pretty much this. You are working your eyes.

On 4/9/2022 at 1:34 AM, bmb said:

The excessive zoom eyes don't help, it's a level of zoom which made sense for the 1024x768 days of flashpoint, simply to compensate for the low resolution of the game. but as 1440p and 4k screens have become more common, it makes less and less sense to have that level of zoom through 1x optics.

In Sandstorm, iron sights are more or less default FoV + minor temporary zoom via hold breath mechanic while in Arma 3 we have this quite substantial zoom in and even out. Insurgency is hitscan based and lag can make hitting moving targets at range inconsistent even with a scope. It also has sway on weapon while Arma mostly on camera.

All in all, beyond that and graphics settings, like DoF, etc, there is hardly any mysticism about it. With that said, I'm not a fan of making things overly difficult. Sure zoom mechanics could be reworked and there could be more in-depth mechanics like climbing ladders faster or climbing higher walls on account of stamina etc, but difficulty wise, I find it to be at a decent balance. We can always make it more or less annoying difficult through mods or even scripted solutions.

On 3/22/2022 at 8:52 PM, froggyluv said:

So what is it that missing in Arma?

Try playing some shooting games now in VR where aiming is closer to real life mechanics. 

As 2d/flatscreen games go, the Arma/OF series since 2001 has never been what I would call "easy" for aiming, shooting or certainly movement.

Only my opinion of course, but I've never played another flatscreen shooter that was more difficult than this one.

Keep in mind that I do NOT play on huge monitor sizes as most ppl do nowdays...so if you're playing on something thats 36+ inches...no wonder you find it easy 🙂

Anyway, ever since going over to VR a few months ago I haven't even thought about going back to flatscreen 2D shooters.