I cannot get dynamic simulation to work at all, even in a basic test scenario.

In this scenario, I have:

• ensured dynamic sim is turned on  at a scenario level
  • set all unit category types to the minimum of 50m activation
  • created an enemy squad about 1km from the player unit
  • turned dynamic sim on for this squad at a squad level
  • checked that it has been activated on the squad by using dynamicSimulationEnabled 

But I can till see the enemy squad on the horizon.  Surely this shouldn't happen?

I am not sure if I have missed something obvious or if it is broken.  Anyone any ideas?

The only thing that seems odd to me is that dynamicSimulationEnabled  returns true for the enemy squad itself but false for individual units.  I understand that dynamic sim works at a squad level but surely it should also return true for individual units within that squad?

EDIT: I think I misunderstood dynamic simulation as making all models outside the range invisible but it appears it only stops them.

12 minutes ago, chow86 said:

EDIT: I think I misunderstood dynamic simulation as making all models outside the range invisible but it appears it only stops them.

You aren't the first to be confused - the Simulation Manager module does indeed hide objects, so when Dynamic Sim was introduced, lots of folks expected the same behavior.

Keep in mind that AI who are "asleep" can still know about you and take damage, etc, which is why it's best to keep Dynamic Sim range, at least for AI, at the highest distance practical. And probably why there is a "limit to view distance" tick box.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 9:38 PM, Harzach said:

Keep in mind that AI who are "asleep" can still know about you and take damage, etc, which is why it's best to keep Dynamic Sim range, at least for AI, at the highest distance practical. And probably why there is a "limit to view distance" tick box.

Thanks, good advice.

My advice as someone using it for the 1st time:

1. Avoid using enableDynamicSimulation on groups in vehicles.  When using this on paratroopers in a mission I found it worked sometime but other times they'd end up being ejected from the chopper then end up suspended in mid air.  The function had not worked on these groups for some reason.  Totally broken as the player's proximity should have activated them even if the script had not. I haven't had this problem since I used enabledynamicsim when they were out of the chopper and then used MoveIn to place them in the chopper.
  2. Generally keep the use of enableDynamicSimulation simple.  I tried to apply it to an array in a script using "{group _x....} foreach...".  This ended up breaking the whole script (and the whole mission)  as for some reason the engine didn't like it but didn't produce any error message.