Cheitan

Ropes and parachutes

(already posted on A3's Discord, so sorry if by any chance you've already read that, but I wanted to reach to the forum's community to see if anyone has other clues)

Hi there !

There is something weird going on with parachutes and ropes. I thought parachutes were basically aircrafts, plus they are listed in the "transport" list of vehicles : https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ropeCreate/transport

In fact, creating ropes from them "kinda" works : when using `ropeCreate[vehicle player, [0,0,0], 6]` when under a parachute, a rope is indeed created, with the correct length, hanging toward the ground. However, it does not follows the movement of the parachute. It stays right where it spawned, hanging down.

Calling on the parachute works as intended : the rope object is returned correctly. But it still hangs in the air.

Using `ropeCreate` to attach an object to the parachute is even weirder : the object behave exactly as it would if the rope was there, attaching the object to the parachute : it swing left to right when turning, hits the ground before the player, etc. However, despite the behavior being OK, the rope is still displayed at the spawn point, mid-air.

Here you can see what I mean : the box is behaving normally, swinging behind the player, but the rope is stuck mid-air, not moving, not doing anything. I've so far failed to make it move in any way : reattaching it does nothing. Deleting it works however.

Capture.png

Then, 2 questions :

- is there anything I can do to make this work properly ?

- is there any use to bug-report it now ?

Thanks,

PS : might also worth mentionning that when the player hits the ground, the parachute is still displayed for a few seconds, falling to the ground. During this specific moment, the rope is correctly displayed, attached to the parachute and the box. And it behaves like a rope. When the parachute is deleted, the rope is deleted too.

Definitely report it - they may not fix it, but they won't be able to make that decision if they don't have a report.

Confirmed on my end, btw - I also tried enableRopeAttach on all relevant objects to ensure it wasn't the issue.

I guess there's a reason no one has published a drop bag mod.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There use to be some, relying on rigid body objects and attachTo, but since we have decent ropes and a parachute being considered as a transport vehicle, it would be a shame not to use it 🤷‍♀️

I never issued bug reports for A3, I think. I have to find how all this works.

Thanks for double-checking after me !

Ahh, I didn't find his ticket either! They'll tag yours as a duplicate when they see it. Though no one has been assigned to (or apparently even acknowledged) Amp's ticket at this point, one year later. Not a promising state of affairs.

I did not have much hope for that anyway. However amp' report allowed me to see that this problem is local only : only your "own" rope is glitched, but every other ropes created under other player's parachutes are rendered ok on your screen. So one can locally hide the rope and use https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/drawLine3D to render a visual link, and let other player around with their ropes. Or any other trick. Basically, only the local use case have to be dealt with. But it's definitely a weird glitch, for sure.

• Like 1

Yeah I've been working around it by having a separate object be the rope-top, and then attaching that object to the chute.

On 3/5/2022 at 1:20 PM, Harzach said:

Definitely report it - they may not fix it, but they won't be able to make that decision if they don't have a report.

Confirmed on my end, btw - I also tried enableRopeAttach on all relevant objects to ensure it wasn't the issue.

I guess there's a reason no one has published a drop bag mod.

Yes, the workaround is some each framed code but there are severe glitches in MP.

Due to this affecting only a player's own sighting, I simply ended up locally hiding rope segments. It works like a charm and keep the code simple to read and understand, rather than messing around with proxy objects. We can even add a drawn line onEachFrame for the time of flying, so that the 3rd person view is not too weird. Good enough for my use case 👌

Interesting. Have you tried attaching the rope to the parachute instead of the player?  You might get lucky.

1 minute ago, Cheitan said:

What do you mean ? The first message is using this command : ropeCreate[vehicle player, [0,0,0], 6]

So I'm already using the parachute, since ropeCreate only works with "transport" vehicles as origin for ropes : https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ropeCreate/transport

Soldiers are not a valid "from" object.

Ok, I see now you are using "vehicle player".  My mistake.

• Like 1