Sign in to follow this  
Alo Keen

I grew "old" playing the series

I just had what reddit may call a "shower thought".

I grew "old" (40+) playing Arma - from Op. Flashpoint to A3.

I still vividly remember the first encounter with the game, many proverbial moons ago. "What, just this paper map and compass? Really? F*** YES, this is my type of game". Back then, such open world design that has come to be expected in modern games, was all but unheard of. Being an infantryman who can enter and operate vehicles? Wow, also radical. (In my personal experience - I suppose someone, somewhere will find an example that might predate BI's games).

Anyway, thanks BI :)

• Like 6

For me, the original OFP was what I always wanted the pre-BHD Delta Force series to be. So when I loaded up the OFP demo for the first time I was hooked for life. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Alo Keen said:

I still vividly remember the first encounter with the game, many proverbial moons ago. "What, just this paper map and compass? Really? F*** YES, this is my type of game". Back then, such open world design that has come to be expected in modern games, was all but unheard of. Being an infantryman who can enter and operate vehicles? Wow, also radical. (In my personal experience - I suppose someone, somewhere will find an example that might predate BI's games).

Anyway, thanks BI 🙂

I remember reading in Computer Gaming World that OFP was much more of a "soldier simulation" than a game. Thats ALL I needed to hear

• Like 2

My friends circa 2001 showing me OFP: Now stand up and try to shoot the enemies. *bang* ok, now you're dead. Me: this game is awesome.

I was already a big fan of Novalogic's Delta Force (the hat in my profile pic is more or less a reference), but raised on games like Doom and wolfenstein, so a realistic outdoors military game without health packs, shields, with invisible bullets made a great impression.

Entering and using the vehicles was of course super impressive at the time. I can remember thinking, wow if they can do this, probably in the next version we will be able to physically open all the vehicle doors and hatches, that will be awesome.. I was thinking this around 2003, BI why have you forsaken me?? 😆

• Like 2

I still remember running around a forest on 'Everon' (OFP) being searched for by a Russian Hind. The noise alone, above me, gave me the f***ing chills. :help:

Think that was one of the original campaign missions. 

• Like 1

There are quite a few of us that have grown old with this series.

But lets be honest, there could be worse ways to grow old. 🙂

• Like 1

On 2/28/2022 at 9:53 AM, Alo Keen said:

Tell me about it, I'm 36 and am sneaking up on my 20 year anniversary on these forums and following the games series from its beginning in Operation Flashpoint...thats over half of my life.

Mind = Blown 🤯

• Like 2

working in Iraq at camp Bucca think play Command & Conquer, guy work with me show Operation Flashpoint, then was hooked, funny we setup some computers from I T guy, we sat in middle a war play  Operation Flashpoint, with every one even the TCN Iraq guy's, was fun days.

• Like 2