Sign in to follow this  
dm

Deltas and rangers released!

Damocles, you are one verbose mutha! tounge.gif

Seriously, can't you just ignore your critics, instead of writing an 8 page essay on the subject? People are always going to disagree with others, just look at the Iraq thread...

While we all appreciate your knowledge and experience, often the best thing to do in situations like these is to walk away and not keep bickering. This goes for the others too. If you guys have problems, try to sort them out in PM. smile.gif

I wasnt by any means bickering, however I will defend my position when attempting to answer questions. This also applies when I post a statement to clarify confusion and a bunch of armchair commandos and children 17 years old and younger start a slam campaign.

I am happy to reply and share my knowledge, and will continue to do so, supplying as much supporting information as is necessary, or requested to support my statements. The is a method of providing credibility and not just running off at the mouth.

If the length and or content of the postings in some way offend or irritate you to some degree, feel free not to read them, and not to post how you feel I should respond or what you think I should do.

I think aside from the one or two that will always be argumentative, there are probably two or more dozen who'd like to just be involved, have an intelligent conversation, and truly learn and share their knowledge and experiences themselves. I'd like to cater to those people, and continue to share with them.

If you will notice, at a much earlier time I posted that those desiring to be argumentative, and otherwise carry the thread in a tone other then sharing info continue in email.

I realize that for some reason my posts are intimidating, which I dont understand, but like the rest of the individuals who post here, I too enjoy sharing, and I do have pride in what I do. I try to be objective, and accepting of all except the outright blatant BS.

Since I know you are more then likely reading this post, I thank you for your time. Incidently I am also capable of reading profiles, and thusly realise that you are not 17 and younger.

Damocles' posts are highly informative and well written. I enjoy reading them smile.gif

Have you ever considered going into (military) journalism?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Feb. 23 2003,13:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Damocles' posts are highly informative and well written. I enjoy reading them smile.gif

Have you ever considered going into (military) journalism?<span id='postcolor'>

let him finish his career in the military before tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Feb. 23 2003,13:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Feb. 23 2003,13:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Damocles' posts are highly informative and well written. I enjoy reading them smile.gif

let him finish his career in the military before tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

He can do them side by side smile.gif

I think that a lot of contributors for Soldier of Fortune and Jane's are active career soldiers...?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Feb. 23 2003,13:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Feb. 23 2003,13:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Feb. 23 2003,13:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Damocles' posts are highly informative and well written. I enjoy reading them smile.gif

let him finish his career in the military before tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I think that a lot of contributors for Soldier of Fortune and Jane's are active career soldiers...?<span id='postcolor'>

yeah , but Damo is busy testing new weapon systems tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Feb. 23 2003,13:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Feb. 23 2003,13:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Feb. 23 2003,13:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Feb. 23 2003,13:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Damocles' posts are highly informative and well written. I enjoy reading them smile.gif

I think that a lot of contributors for Soldier of Fortune and Jane's are active career soldiers...?<span id='postcolor'>

yeah , but Damo is busy testing new weapon systems tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

he is too busy with beeing or militairy advisor on BAS tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BAS-Damocles @ Feb. 22 2003,20:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

Umm... Isn't Mr. Meyer a bit mistaken in saying that PASGT helmets stop 7.62mm rounds? 7.62mmx39mm perhaps? But even that I assume is pushing it... but like you said, real world reports can offen vary remarkably from controlled lab experiments testing armor levels.

Also body armor clad Israeli soldiers can still die by any rifle fire if they're not wearing their ceramic plate inserts. A while back an unknown (Hamas?) sniper took out 10 Israeli soldiers with a sniper rifle. I am assuming the round penetrated some of those soldier's body armor unless that sniper was a real bad-ass and took them out with head/neck shots.

At any rate, I kinda lost the whole point of what you were replying about as everyone seems to agree that the 5.56mm round currently used has certain shortcomings. However the Washington D.C. sniper didn't seem to mind when he made deadly usage of some type of 5.56mm weapon. In addition it's proven it's effectiveness in countless conflicts.

Personally I think that problem lies more in the "enviornmentally friendly" steel core ammunition, but there is considerable debate on that and pesonally I don't trust much that I read about ballistics because for every 10 experts on ballistics and 5.56mm ammunition/weapons you will get 10 different opinions.

The only thing you can trust (well a least a little bit more) is a careful study on the epxeriences of actual combat soldiers, preferably immediately after combat action so that their memories don't play tricks on them as to how good or bad their ammunition was against an opponent (assuming they even want to talk about that).

If the study is done well and other variables like ammunition lots, ect.. are controlled for, a quasi-experimental setup could be made to analyze the effectiveness of the ammunition rather the just reading about it in a book written years after the conflict when memories are not always very accurate. In addition much of the criticism of the 5.56mm round comes from the combat seen in Somalia where opponents were often drugged up on narcotics. One Ranger M60 gunner claimed that one Somali gunmen took an enormous amount of hits from his 7.62mmx51mm M60 rounds before he went down. But again, that may have just been a rare exception. It's hard to tell from just a few exerpts from a book. No data I think has been systematically collected from the Afghan conflict and if it has it's probably being kept classified. The Iraq conflict will probably really see whether the M4/M16 and it's current issue ammo holds up in urban combat. Personally I'd rather have an AK-47 any day in urban combat. The M16A2 at least I think jams too much to be dependable in urban combat where any jams at close quarters can cost you your life and those of your fellow soldiers. I imagine that the M4 isn't much different in regards to reliability. But the Israelies like 'em... and they got as about as much experience as anyone in successful modern urban combat operations. I wonder what type of 5.56mm ammo they use.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

as for jamming  i have to say the major contributor is the magaizine  i have fired M4s M16a1,a2 a4s  almost 99% of all jams where caused by old worn out mag springs.  Like any weapon you have to lube it and keep it clean  One thing about the AK is that it is simple only has 11 pieces abd it is easy to use  wink.gif

As for Somali the Rangers had problems taking down somalis because at the time of day they attacked is the time that most of the locals get high so there bodies didnt register that they where injured thus causing more rounds to be used this is a proven fact.

Wow..Just like to say thanx to BAS. Beautiful weps and skins as always. I luv that sopmod smile.gif . And of course the snipe rifle.

In the last little while we have been completely spoiled.

Seb Nam pack 2

Bas little birds etc

DKM Commanche

And last but absolutely not least (best I've seen) the

BAS DELTA and RANGERS mod.

I used to attempt to make missions but you just can't compete with some of the work being done out there so what do you do? Play other guys missions and enjoy.

The Demo missions intro's had me sitting there stunned. A guy could do it but the research to do some of the camera work and ani stuff would just take to much time..

BLAH BLAH....

Thanx guys for your hard work. I'f I can help by testing or what ever let me know.

I will save you some bandwidth and post your lastest stuff for dl on my site asap.

Lata

Rossco

Powerhour

wow.gif3--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (OxPecker @ Feb. 24 2003,00wow.gif3)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Damocles, I salute you! Seriously!

I've never met someone who knew evertyhing, or was never mistaken about anything! It's a real privilege!

Me, I'm just a lesser being who can accept that there are some things I haven't heard of before, or that there may just be someone out there that knows something I don't.

Kudos to you!

tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Well now, there was a wholly uncalled for remark, packed with plenty of research and info to show me where I am in error. I thank you for pointing out absolutely...well nothing but another personal attack.

This is a prime example of what Im talking about. Perhaps you'd like to actually contribute in a useful way to the converstation by providing some actual information and research to quantify and qualify your statement?

Or do you prefer to just launch lip rockets?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">SGTKOPP Posted: Feb. 23 2003,23:22

as for jamming i have to say the major contributor is the magaizine i have fired M4s M16a1,a2 a4s almost 99% of all jams where caused by old worn out mag springs. Like any weapon you have to lube it and keep it clean One thing about the AK is that it is simple only has 11 pieces abd it is easy to use <span id='postcolor'>

SGT Kopp is absolutely correct. There are two major points of failure with the M16 family of weapons, the primary one being magazine springs. This has been extensively worked on, and while improvements have been made, there is as yet no fool proof cost effective solution.

The Second point of failure being the buffer spring wearing out, which also can cause feed issues. This problem has been largely solved with the use of Hydraulic Buffers in the weapons that SF uses.

SGT Kopp, he hasnt gotten to me, I actually reply becuase I find it entertaining to see what they will post next.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BAS-Damocles @ Feb. 24 2003,02:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif3--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (OxPecker @ Feb. 24 2003,00wow.gif3)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Damocles, I salute you! Seriously!

I've never met someone who knew evertyhing, or was never mistaken about anything! It's a real privilege!

Me, I'm just a lesser being who can accept that there are some things I haven't heard of before, or that there may just be someone out there that knows something I don't.

Kudos to you!

tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Well now, there was a wholly uncalled for remark, packed with plenty of research and info to show me where I am in error. I thank you for pointing out absolutely...well nothing but another personal attack.

This is a prime example of what Im talking about. Perhaps you'd like to actually contribute in a useful way to the converstation by providing some actual information and research to quantify and qualify your statement?

Or do you prefer to just launch lip rockets?<span id='postcolor'>

why do you let these people get to you you must have soft skin or something continue doing what you do good and forget aabout the stupid people you guys act like children

and Pecker of ox you are a lesser being wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (OxPecker @ Feb. 24 2003,02:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SGTKOPP @ Feb. 24 2003,02:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">and Pecker of ox you are a lesser being wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Is there an echo in here, I could've sworn I just said that  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

smile.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifsmile.giftounge.gifwink.gif

Anyway, sorry to all for my ramblings in this thread - I just tried to point out where the misunderstanding in the term double-tap might have come from, and was summarily dismissed.

I will now leave this thread to people who want to seriously discuss this great addon pack.

Cheerio

My apologies once again Ox if I've ofended. I thought I was fairly clear when I explained the context in which we were discussing the term. Additionally I thought I made it clear that I wasnt calling you a civilian or dismissing you in any way.

I even went back and re read the related posts. I'm really at a loss to understand your sudden lashing out.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BAS-Damocles @ Feb. 24 2003,02:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My apologies once again Ox if I've ofended. I thought I was fairly clear when I explained the context in which we were discussing the term. Additionally I thought I made it clear that I wasnt calling you a civilian or dismissing you in any way.

I even went back and re read the related posts. I'm really at a loss to understand your sudden lashing out.<span id='postcolor'>

OK, no hard feelings. Sorry for the sarcasm.

I just got the feeling you were blowing me off without even listening to what I was saying.

I admit I didn't read the original quote in question, so I may have been unclear on the context.

All I can say is keep up the great work at BAS, it really is top quality. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SGTKOPP @ Feb. 23 2003,23:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">as for jamming  i have to say the major contributor is the magaizine  i have fired M4s M16a1,a2 a4s  almost 99% of all jams where caused by old worn out mag springs.  Like any weapon you have to lube it and keep it clean  One thing about the AK is that it is simple only has 11 pieces abd it is easy to use  wink.gif

As for Somali   the Rangers had problems taking down somalis because at the time of day they attacked is the time that most of the locals get high so there bodies didnt register that they where injured thus causing more rounds to be used this is a proven fact.<span id='postcolor'>

I've never seen very many jams caused by faulty magazines, but maybe you're right. Most of the ones I've experienced seemed to have been caused by dirt in the weapons as well as other mechanical problems... for example I don't know the technical names for the parts, but on the bolt there are these two screws that hold a section in... if that part comes loose gas leaks and causes horrendous jamming problems. At any rate, if the weapons are constantly kept clean they can jam up pretty good. Every time I've ever stuck a muddy magazine into the weapon it never fails that mud gets into the receiver and jams the weapon. That was when it was raining and there really was no way to clean off the magazines very well. Mud can also get in the weapon many other ways. The M16's dont' have dust covers over the ejection port for nothing. Still I don't doubt crappy magazines could cause that. Maybe I just never saw or used newer magazines with a different design.

With an AK that's not a problem. Dust and mud it takes usually without any problems. Carbon building up... no problem with the AK unless the problem is extreme. It's super easy to take apart and clean and you don't got so many little pins to worry about losing or breaking.

However... I LOVE the accuracy of a good M16A2 and its low recoil and low muzzle-rise. It also has a nice heavy butt for smacking people in close quarters combat as well as enough reach to make effective usage of a bayonet should the need arise.

As for Somalies not registering it cuz of drugs, be careful throwing around phrases like "it's a proven fact". Not all of them may have been taking those drugs and I have not seen any studies showing the effects of "khat" on the human brain registering pain.

http://www.sas.upenn.edu/African_Studies/Hornet/qat.html

http://call.army.mil/products/spc_edtn/93-1/chp5.htm

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Feb. 23 2003,07:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think that a lot of contributors for Soldier of Fortune and Jane's are active career soldiers...?<span id='postcolor'>

it is to my understanding that the janes combat simulators are a "watered down" version of the REAL simulators used to train the pilots of today

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">it is to my understanding that the janes combat simulators are a "watered down" version of the REAL simulators used to train the pilots of today<span id='postcolor'>

I think he meant the magazines/journals of those names rather than the computer games....

I downloaded the rangers and all, and all I can say is that their the best damn add ons ive seen so far(you guys must be getting used to that)

But I have a problem with your little bird add on. I wanted to get it to work with the Delta's for any mission I made, but if I put it in either folder they won't appear in-game. I looked in West-Air, East - Air, Res - Air, Bas - Vehicles and they don't show.

I put it in Res - AddOns folder and they won't show up

Put them in OperationFlashpoint - AddOns folder and they wont show up. I even put them in both folders. crazy.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DracoPaladore @ Feb. 24 2003,13:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I downloaded the rangers and all, and all I can say is that their the best damn add ons ive seen so far(you guys must be getting used to that)

But I have a problem with your little bird add on. I wanted to get it to work with the Delta's for any mission I made, but if I put it in either folder they won't appear in-game. I looked in West-Air, East - Air, Res - Air, Bas - Vehicles and they don't show.

I put it in Res - AddOns folder and they won't show up

Put them in OperationFlashpoint - AddOns folder and they wont show up. I even put them in both folders. crazy.gif<span id='postcolor'>

did you also read the readme? confused.gif