Situation.

Server A  Has developer A.

Developer A makes custom mission file.

SERVER FILES A.
CLIENT SIDE A.

Developer A leaves Server A and takes SERVER FILES A with him.

COMMUNITY has CLIENT SIDE A.

Can Server A run CLIENT SIDE  A files ?

Can Server A  modify those CLIENT SIDE A files to match their own custom SERVER FILE B FILES?

Specifically under what TOS does your answer fall under?

The server and client mission files are identical because the client gets them from the server.

1 hour ago, kuehneballmer said:

I can't understand you

Clearly.

1 hour ago, Tankbuster said:

The server and client mission files are identical because the client gets them from the server.

A lot of the more intensive MP missions like Life, Exile, etc have what we consider to be the mission file broken up into separate server-side and client-side files. Partly to mitigate traffic, partly MP security vs cheaters, but a lot of it has to do with not sharing code.

Not sharing code runs contrary to the spirit of this forum and the general Arma community, but BIS has supported "code security" amongst these folks for years. As for the legal specifics, I don't know, but I can say with confidence that this - the Editing & Scripting forum - is probably the last place one should be asking about it.

Why have you not asked "Developer A" these questions?

• Like 2

To summarize, you cannot take legal action against someone for stealing your scripts or mission -- although, it's discouraged if they redistribute it, especially if they do not provide proper credits. If someone reposts your content on the Steam Workshop, you can report it and it might get taken down. Otherwise, welcome to the modding community any game lol. People will generally respect your work or not care enough to steal it.

Worst case scenario, write bad unreadable code like me and you won't have that problem! 😄 

• Haha 3

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice. This is to my best knowledge from a uni course about German law.

3 minutes ago, phronk said:

you cannot take legal action against someone for stealing your scripts or mission

Technically you can, that's what copyright is for. The creator of the mission files is the copyright holder. But filing a DMCA on Steam (as you said) or in fact any other hoster is usually the easier route. Now what I am only 90% sure about is the copyright of the client files, I would say they also belong to the server files' author because they are the result of his work. And to answer this question:

On 2/12/2022 at 8:05 PM, CIC-07-STALKER said:

Can Server A  modify those CLIENT SIDE A files to match their own custom SERVER FILE B FILES?

I would say no, because you are not the copyright holder, you would need permission from him to make any modifications, redistributions, etc..

• Like 1

On 2/12/2022 at 2:05 PM, CIC-07-STALKER said:

Can Server A run CLIENT SIDE  A files ?

I can't tell what you're asking with this language. You could be asking:

1. Is it possible for them to do the above? - Yes, probably, if server A people know what they are doing
  2. Are they allowed to do the above? Yes, or no. It depends

I do not know what bohemia's TOS is regarding scripting. They could have a clause somewhere that basically says "all code written with scripting belongs to bohemia". I doubt it, but if so, then it would only depend on their decision to take legal action

If not, then developer A owns the work. However, if developer A has been paid for the code, ie received some kind of benefit in, exchange for it's ownership; then developer A obviously does not own the code anymore and the server would be allowed to do anything they wanted with it, even just delete it, and developer A would very likely have an extremely difficult time winning a legal case in any country

• Like 1

In general, to successfully sue someone, you need to prove damages. Which raises maybe the central question: is your server monetized?

If so, hire a new developer and move on.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, dreadedentity said:

all code written with scripting belongs to bohemia

that is not possible. you are the creator, you hold all the rights to your work. sqf files are merely text files, there are no special tools needed to write a script.

13 hours ago, dreadedentity said:

However, if developer A has been paid for the code, ie received some kind of benefit in, exchange for it's ownership; then developer A obviously does not own the code anymore and the server would be allowed to do anything they wanted with it, even just delete it, and developer A would very likely have an extremely difficult time winning a legal case in any country

In German law the creator is very well protected. In doubt, he will win the case. But from the original post it does not sound like anyone was paid, so the server/community holds no rights to the mission files. Now for some less legal advice: No plaintiff, no judge.

49 minutes ago, pierremgi said:

It's interesting that the recommended licenses are a bit more restrictive than the ones a lot of people use.  For example, I release my code under MIT license, which is pretty lenient aside from attribution requirements. I'm not sure if the requirements of the end-user license confer additional restrictions or not, and I'd imagine the specifics are difficult to sort out, differ by country and require a legal expert for real assurances.

The forum rules here, though, are rather explicit (and really mirror common sense): permission is required to reuse anyone's work for any reason.  This can take the form of a permissive license, or a verbal agreement, or anything else, as long as it would stand up to an independent audit. Without permission, the code should not be used.

On 2/12/2022 at 7:05 PM, CIC-07-STALKER said:

Developer A leaves Server A and takes SERVER FILES A with him.

Clearly they don't want you to continue using their work, so deal with it. Find another developer and make a contract with them about ownership of the work in case they leave. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, escobarrr said:

Hey, have you found an answer for this, or not yet ?

Hey, did you read the thread, or do you just post vague replies to random topics?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Harzach said:

Hey, did you read the thread, or do you just post vague replies to random topics? 

it's a spam bot, see the comment history. he's posting vague answers and then editing his posts with links to websites

1 hour ago, 7erra said:

it's a spam bot, see the comment history. he's posting vague answers and then editing his posts with links to websites

Yeah, I know, I'm just having fun 🙂