Sign in to follow this  
Arma Smith

SAM systems set-up 2022

Hello, 

31-Jan-22 

I am playing Warlords and would like to know how to set-up a SAM system to shoot down aircraft. 

If you can send me a link to an already made guide or thread that would be great. 

Basically I know that you need both a radar and a SAM system MIM-145 Defender or S-750 Rhea. That's it

The questions I have are:

1. Do you need to man the radar and SAM system with your AI for it to work? or does accessing it via UAV then selecting automatic suffice? 
  2. Next to the Sam system does the ammo truck need to be manned with an AI to keep the Sam system loaded?
  3. Are they hacked much in game play? how are they hacked? how to you stop it?
  4. It seems that the radar will pick up planes within 16km, is that the range of the missiles too?
  5. Regarding range, is each grid square 1km on the map?
  6. Radar placement - Is it better is be in the open, or can I place it between buildings or trees?
  7. Radar dome (active radar) - I take it, it needs to face the best direction to pick up planes. Is that done via UAV? Does an AI person in the radar move it automatically?
  8. Passive radar - Is that still used to target aircraft? 
  9. Are radars lit up on planes radars? And thus easy to destroy?
  10. Apart from the Sam System, does the radar help any other element for your team? Like provide vehicle placement on the map? or help the the mobile AA tanks locate aircraft? 

Thanks for all views and replies!

1 hour ago, Arma Smith said:

Do you need to man the radar and SAM system with your AI for it to work? or does accessing it via UAV then selecting automatic suffice? 

Technically only the launcher should work.  It'll work rather poorly because it has no datalink to acquire targets but it should work

Next to the Sam system does the ammo truck need to be manned with an AI to keep the Sam system loaded?

I've personally never seen it make a difference whether or not the ammo truck was manned.  I don't think it's required.  In my experience the AI of the launcher isn't going to keep the launcher fully loaded, you'll need to do that manually or through script.

Are they hacked much in game play? how are they hacked? how to you stop it?

Unless you put someone down on the opposite team that is a UAV hacker it's impossible.  I've never really seen UAV hackers in multiplayer so I don' t have much experience with it.

It seems that the radar will pick up planes within 16km, is that the range of the missiles too?

Missiles can shoot further iirc

Regarding range, is each grid square 1km on the map?

Yes

Radar placement - Is it better is be in the open, or can I place it between buildings or trees?

Terrain will definitely block the radar, I've never tested if objects do.

Radar dome (active radar) - I take it, it needs to face the best direction to pick up planes. Is that done via UAV? Does an AI person in the radar move it automatically?

Yes it needs to face in the right direction, it is a UAV and if the AI in the UAV picks up a target they'll center the radar coverage on said target iirc.

Passive radar - Is that still used to target aircraft? 

Passive radar cannot be used by SAM systems to engage enemy aircraft iirc

Are radars lit up on planes radars? And thus easy to destroy?

Yes and if you have a (h)arm yes.

Apart from the Sam System, does the radar help any other element for your team? Like provide vehicle placement on the map? or help the the mobile AA tanks locate aircraft? 

The radar will (if configured to do so) send the data it collects out via datalink.  Any datalink enabled vehicle will receive this data. 

4 hours ago, stanhope said:

I've personally never seen it make a difference whether or not the ammo truck was manned.  I don't think it's required.  In my experience the AI of the launcher isn't going to keep the launcher fully loaded, you'll need to do that manually or through script.

Yes I noticed that the launcher only reloaded when I was using it