avibird 1

Need some suggestions for alternative script or mod that is similar to vanilla support modules.

The vanilla in game support modules are simple to the point and work just fine for my mission design needs however only one playable unit can have access to the modules (ridiculous) I have a script that will allow the modules to follow the player to any unit you switch into but this is not what I want. I found a few scripts and mods but they have the same issue as well as the inability to set the number of usage during a mission. 

I'm basically looking for a script or mod that will allow artillery support and or air support that can be limited to particular units on a side and you can set the time and the amount of times you can use it during a mission.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Avibird

Use Simplex Support Services by Sceptre on the steam workshop
It's everything the vanilla support modules should have been 

• Thanks 1

I look at it but you need to have Ace installed to use it I believe. I can't use Ace it messes up some other modified mods and scripts I use in the bulk of my missions. Sad 😢

I was able to remove all of the Ace medical from the mod to allow my modified version of the AIS wound system to work. Have some issues with mcc4 and Ace playing nice together. The only issue I see some of the support assets are not virtual and if you have random air units patrolling around the map they will engage the support assets that are stationary on the map regardless how far they are away. Try to figure this out. But the support modules work with the vanilla support modules. 

I have a 20-man playable platoon that is divided up into two  10-man squads and I want to each squad to have the ability to utilize artillery CAS and transportation during the mission. 

You can sync the "support requester" module to as many units as you want. Or if you only want certain units to be able to call CAS or Arty you drop separate modules for those units. 

• Confused 1

I don't think so. Once a unit uses the support then no other unit can use it. Are you sure you got multiple playable units to use the vanilla support modules in the same mission? If so please can you provide a demo mission show me how because I could never get multiple units to have use during a mission. 

Still looking for suggestions but other people use in their missions. 

Try also GAIA template script. The artillery system is unbelievably smart. 

• Like 1

@Nemanjic  and @Gunter Severloh I use GAIA zones in most of my mission yes agree GAIA and Vcom AI in my opinion is best AI management for arma3 AI.

I need options for players to use. I am currently using drongos Artillery which is a very good mod but one of the issues it's point and click at the target without needing to have a line of sight of the targets the same thing go for JTAC Advanced Support for CAS with helicopters and planes. Also the transport function of that mod is broken. 

I don't use ACE and just looking for something similar and equal to the vanilla support systems. This is for a two squad platoon setup of playable units which both squads has a unit that can call in artillery CAS transportation and supply drops. I also need the ability to set limits for the amount of assists allowed in a mission for balance purposes. 

There was an artillery script for Arma 2 back in the day i used to use in my missions called

Advanced Artillery Request System
Script for ArmA2
by Bon_Inf*

And you literally had to manually get the coordinates of the target to be hit, then choose which guns you want

to shoot, how many rds, what type of rds, then you went to the tablet device and typed in the coordinates, and then

when you fired, you would have to spot and watch where the rds landed to adjust accordingly.

I still have the mission i will take a look at it and see if it works in Arma 3.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 1/25/2022 at 1:12 PM, avibird 1 said:

however only one playable unit can have access to the modules

Not true, any number of players can have access to the supports. Though it must be a current player, syncing playable/AI does not work, also if the player is side civilian it will not work.

On 1/26/2022 at 7:22 PM, DavidOMarx said:

You can sync the "support requester" module to as many units as you want.

You can, but it will only work if those units that are currently a player and not side civillian otherwise the initialisation script just exits.

On 1/27/2022 at 2:34 AM, avibird 1 said:

Once a unit uses the support then no other unit can use it.

Not true. Unless the support is currently active ie one player calling a artillery which only has one supporting artillery piece then the other player will not be able to use it until the artillery piece is free to accept another support call.

On 1/25/2022 at 1:12 PM, avibird 1 said:

I have a script that will allow the modules to follow the player to any unit you switch into but this is not what I want. I found a few scripts and mods but they have the same issue as well as the inability to set the number of usage during a mission. 

16 hours ago, avibird 1 said:

I also need the ability to set limits for the amount of assists allowed in a mission for balance purposes.

The support modules already provide this. Plus you can update the usage amount and number of times used(for individual units) by updating the variables on the module/player.

Here is a list of some of the variables available...

Spoiler

//player
[
	"bis_supp_allprovidermodules",
	"bis_supp_ammotype",
	"bis_supp_burst",
	"bis_supp_hq",
	"bis_supp_limit_artillery_total",
	"bis_supp_limit_cas_bombing_total",
	"bis_supp_limit_cas_heli_total",
	"bis_supp_limit_drop_total",
	"bis_supp_limit_transport_total",
	"bis_supp_limit_uav_total",
	"bis_supp_popup_id_artillery",
	"bis_supp_popup_pool",
	"bis_supp_providerspoolforpick",
	"bis_supp_request",
	"bis_supp_selectedmodule",
	"bis_supp_selectedprovider",
	"bis_supp_selectedproviderveh",
	"bis_supp_transmitting",
	"bis_supp_used_artillery",
	"bis_supp_used_cas_bombing",
	"bis_supp_used_cas_heli",
	"bis_supp_used_drop",
	"bis_supp_used_transport",
	"bis_supp_used_uav"
]

//requester module
[
	"bis_supp_custom_hq",
	"bis_supp_limit_artillery", 
	"bis_supp_limit_cas_bombing",
	"bis_supp_limit_cas_heli",
	"bis_supp_limit_drop",
	"bis_supp_limit_transport",
	"bis_supp_limit_uav"
]

//provider module( virtual artillery )
[
	"bis_supp_cooldown", 
	"bis_supp_filter",
	"bis_supp_lastcall",
	"bis_supp_vehicleinit",
	"bis_supp_vehicles"
]

//provider object( as per spawned virtual artilery operator (player getVariable "bis_supp_selectedprovider") )
[
	"bis_supp_ammotype",
	"bis_supp_burst",
	"bis_supp_requester",
	"bis_supp_supporting",
	"bis_supp_supportruncoords",
	"bis_supp_supporttype", 
	"bis_supp_virtual"
]

For instance doing...

{
  _used = _oldUnit getVariable [format ["BIS_SUPP_used_%1",_x], 0];
  _newUnit setVariable [format ["BIS_SUPP_used_%1", _x], _used, true]
} forEach [
  "Artillery",
  "CAS_Heli",
  "CAS_Bombing",
  "UAV",
  "Drop",
  "Transport"
];

...when swapping supports to a new unit would transfer the number of times the supports have been used, affecting the number of uses left for the new unit. May need call BIS_SUPP_refreshMainWindow to see changes happen.

If you wanted to refresh the supports so all uses are available again just set the variables to 0.

The bis_supp_limit_# variables on the requestors affect how many uses are available.

The bis_supp_used_# variables on the player affect how many of those available uses for that unit they have used up.

The number of uses available for a player is players bis_supp_limit_#_total minus players bis_supp_used_#, where bis_supp_limit_#_total is set on the player when they are synced to supports and is a total of all synced requestors bis_supp_limit_# .

BIS_fnc_limitSupport can also be used to change how many uses are available for the requestor. If set to -1 will effectively provide unlimited supports of that type.

• Thanks 2

I am not sure how to attempt to initiate the code you provided above to allow it to work for two playable switchable for the vanilla modules.