Sign in to follow this  
OneEyedOneArmedOneLeggedMan

Make snipers great again , my idea how to make it in arma4

We know when sniper wears ghillie suit he is not seen in 100-200 meters depending on graphics. if one has lowest graphics he will see him just from 10 meter cause has no grass rendered, but if somebody has higher graphics he will not see him in 200 meters cause his PC rendering grass further. but even with highest graphics all will see him from 1 km lying on sand, even if sniper think hes hidden in half meter high lush. so how resolve? i made painting how devs can make it. by graphical trick

and to better see where he is it shall be light flashing from his scope as in cod warzone it is, i sounds not realistic but if theres full sun and no clouds its realistic that if somebody points his scope at you you will see high flash reflection from there

Edited by OneEyedOneArmedOneLeggedMan
wrong word choosen in translator

The game does attempt to bury soldiers in the terrain to varied results if IIRC. I think they just need to find a way to increase terrain draw distance like

I mostly play single player and AI are partly buried at a distance. It definitely decreases their visibility. Probably human players are not partly buried because that will be confusing and interfere with their playing.

22 minutes ago, joostsidy said:

I mostly play single player and AI are partly buried at a distance.

Does it also affect their hitbox?

On 1/22/2022 at 2:42 AM, froggyluv said:

The game does attempt to bury soldiers in the terrain to varied results if IIRC.

That's because terrain itself is rendered in lower detail at distance. So if enemy player is walking on rough terrain you may see him buried, but if he walks on something flat, he's visible for everyone (even if from his perspective he's in the bush).

2 hours ago, joostsidy said:

Probably human players are not partly buried

Everyone is.

1 hour ago, Janez said:

Does it also affect their hitbox?

Nope. But the issue is you may not see some small mounds that are too detailed for you to see from a distance. So it's possible to both achieve hits on almost completely buried enemy, and not being able to hit enemies that are seemingly in the open.

Edit: in other words, what already causes distant enemies being buried in the ground (which is terrain LOD) has really nothing to do with the problem OP is describing (which is objects LOD - vegetation to be precise).

Edited by krzychuzokecia
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1