Orion1234

Saaret : An Island Jungle Map [WIP]

Version 0.6.2

Southern Island
1. Added second part of the only city on the island.
2. Fixed race track paths and size as it was too small earlier.

The third part of the southern city and intial structures for the race track will be coming out soon, after that the fourth part will be worked on including all the lights, maybe a port and the remaining vegetation for the southern island

Version 0.6.3

Southern Island
1. Added third part of the only city on the island.
2. Added race track artifacts, the seating area and the pitstop area.

I like that the built up areas are very non-standard. Question: is it easy for vehicles and infantry to "meet"/shoot at each other in these spaces?

On 1/19/2023 at 9:53 PM, Melody_Mike said:

I like that the built up areas are very non-standard. Question: is it easy for vehicles and infantry to "meet"/shoot at each other in these spaces?

If you mean CQC yes, the towns/cities are designed in that manner to break up contacts. For long range engagements, not so much, the map is not designed for that. There is one place you can do that and it is the farms on the North Western island

• Thanks 1

Admittedly I am getting somewhat off-topic.

In various PVP games, such as the Halo and Battlefield series and Planetside 2, the design emphasizes spaces where vehicles and infantry interact, but neither dominate. Arma 3 shows this in Tanoa. The roads and paths do not end in neat loops and crossways, but have entrances to rainforests and hills. Conversely, buildings are spaced unevenly, and sight lines are often blocked from the larger entrances. This way players can sneak in easily from hills and forests, but (smaller) vehicles can also chase players somewhat. More exciting than driving to an area, parking the vehicle at the end of a base/neighborhood, and only walking.

This is different to how real urban planning works: A road links places of interest, and either stops, or passes them. Roads are also made to be safe and efficient; eg flat and far removed from pedestrian walkways.

Based on the screenshots, I'm just getting the impression that this is becoming a very beautiful(!) and realistic looking island. But maybe not an optimal space for gameplay with all of Arma's assets.

Regardless of my unasked "feedback", this looks awesome, and I hope you keep at it and finish it however you wish!

• Like 1

@Melody_Mike No issues, feedback is always appreciated, I still have a lot of the island left to do so will keep your points when making. There are four more islands also coming in, just need time to make it.

After a bit of a hiatus, I have once again started to work on this map. I am still aiming for the deadline of Q1/Q2 of 2023. But one thing is for certain that I will be releasing V1.0 before the end of this year

• Like 1

WIP Images from the Southern Island

P611NlS.png

svMEM6a.png

KRphRx2.png

zi3bMi1.png

zxmVkhw.png

CRTpla7.png

Version 0.6.4

Config Changes
1. Updated the picture map and also the UI map with the current map.

2. Added new keypoints to the map.

Heightmap changes
1. Added a port in the centre of the southern island for variety.
2. Shifted the hangar bay to the side for the third airport.
3. Increased the dock space for the port in the middle islands.
4. Added a trench system to the middle island.

Southern Island
1. Added school, office area and hotel area. City is finished.
2. Added port on the Southern Island.
4. Split the race track due to port in the centre. 
5. Rail track around the island.
6. Trees added to the island.
7. Race track details added at the grandstand area.
8. Added street lights and industrial lights to the city and port.