Sign in to follow this  
Milkman

Following other units

This is odd, I coulda sworn seening somthing about how to get a unit from a different group to follow another from a different group, but now I cant find it. Is there a way?

It is : </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">[unit1] join unit2<span id='postcolor'>

sorry I couldnt post earlier, but I believe you guys didn't quite get what I was trying to say.

M113=unit1 (IS IN DIFFERENT GROUP)

Officer=unit2 (has soldiers under his command)

I want the M113 To follow Unit2, who is the Leader in another group. Dofollow dosnt have any effect, neather does Join, besides, thats not what I wanted, I dont want the M113 to join the group, just follow them.

If this isn't possible I would like to know a way to make sure noone loads up with M113 when it is in their group.

Hello

When you use the join command on a West M113 , it does not work , because only the gunner of the M113 goes under the command of the group he has to follow , so the M113 does not move (the driver dont care at all wink.gif )

So here is a work around that work for me

-Create a WEST infantry group , in the init line of the leader, put this

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">GOGO=group this<span id='postcolor'>

Here, i name the group GOGO for the example

Create a MOVE waypoint far away for this group to test the movement

-Create an EMPTY (create a unit, select side EMPTY) M113 , name it for this example ARMOR (so not a WEST M113)

-Create 2 West Crew units far away from the West squad (so you dont group them with GOGO squad)

Name the first guy BOB (for example)

In the init line of BOB , put this

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">this moveindriver ARMOR<span id='postcolor'>

Name the second guy JIM (example)

in the init line , of JIM, put

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">this moveingunner ARMOR<span id='postcolor'>

Now, when you want this M113 to follow the west squad named GOGO , use this in a trigger

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">[BOB,JIM] join GOGO<span id='postcolor'>

This will work , i just tested it as i write this wink.gif

The M113 will follow the group, and nobody in the infantry squad will go in it

As i said it i only a workaround, not the perfect solution, because with that , the M113 join the infantry group , so you have to be carefull with squad member limits

But the good thing is that they dont go in it like if you just use a Group -Infantry - Mechanized Inf. Squad

Thanks Chronicles, I got the m113 to folow the group, but there is one problem...

The Group that the M113 Joins starts in the M113's cargo, and I cant get the Transport Unload Waypoitn to work, im guessing because the Soldier I assigned to it originally was only a soldier, not a M113 crew guy.

I have tried to get the M113 to join the group, then have the group commander tell his group to disembark using the Transport Unload Waypoint on the Officer that the M113 joins, but to no sucess.

Can you solve this problem??

Hello ,

Lets try this

Follow this step by step explanation on the Desert island map to test and see that this must work (for me it works), then after adapt it to your mission.

1- Create a WEST GROUP , Infantry ONLY

in the init line of the Officer of this group , put this

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">TEAM1=group this<span id='postcolor'>

2- Create 2 WEST UNITS , Crew

Name the first guy BOB , and set his rank to PRIVATE

Name the second guy JIM and set his rank to PRIVATE

3- Create an EMPTY UNIT , a M113

Name it ARMOR

in its init line put this

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">BOB moveindriver ARMOR; JIM moveingunner ARMOR; [BOB,JIM] join TEAM1<span id='postcolor'>

So BOB will be teleported in driver position and JIM in gunner position, then both will be under TEAM1 Officer commands

4- Put 3-4 MOVE waypoints for TEAM1

5- At some distance , create a WEST GROUP , infantry ONLY

At the init line of the officer of this second group, put this

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">TEAM2=group this<span id='postcolor'>

6- Put some MOVE waypoints for TEAM2 (more than for TEAM1)

7- Near the last waypoint of TEAM1 , create a Trigger

At the line ACTIVATION , select WEST

Check that PRESENT is selected

At the line On Activation , put this

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">[BOB,JIM] join TEAM2<span id='postcolor'>

Now move this Trigger so the last TEAM1 waypoint is in the area of the trigger

8- Create a WEST UNIT soldier , in its properties , at Control , select PLAYER

Place this unit, so you can see everything.

9- Click on Preview

You will see the TEAM1 starting to follow its waypoint (and far away , TEAM2 do the same) , and the M113 coming in formation with them , and NOBODY in TEAM1 try to climb in the M113.

Then, when the TEAM1 reach the last waypoint (so enter the Trigger area) , you will notice the M113 leaving the formation and quickly going in formation with the far away TEAM2

And M113+TEAM2 will continue to follow TEAM2 waypoint

NOBODY again in TEAM2 try to climb in the M113

End of the step by step explanation and test wink.gif

I hope it was what you wanted , it works perfectly with me, so if you do exactly step by step what i write , it should work with you wink.gif

I really appreciate that post, but It wasn't what I was looking for.  sad.gif  

Okay, let me make this clear so we don't wait time.

I have Three M113s named apc1, apc2, and apc3

I have Three groups of infantry named, using group this American1, Amercian2, and American3.

There are three officers, one for each infantry group;

The first officer's name is of1 the second's is of2 and the thirds is of3.

The Officers all have 6 men under their command.

The M113 and the groups are not part of the same groups.

THe M113's driver/gunners are for:

apc1 = Crew1 & Crew2

apc2 = Crew3 & Crew4

apc3 = Crew5 & Crew6

Crew1 has in his init field:

crew1 moveindriver apc1

Crew2 has in his init field:

Crew2 moveingunner apc1

and so on for the other crew and apcs.

The officers (of1, of2, of3) have in their init fields:

american#= group this; "_x moveincargo apc#" foreach units american#

#= 1 or 2 or 3,matters which officer is in charge. of1 has american1 as his group of2 has american2 as his group and of3 has american3 as his group.

the other # stands for the apc's number

So the Infantry groups start off in the M113s using the "_x moveincargo bleh" thing.

Alright, as the mission unfolds, the m113s cross the channel (the one on Nogova where the bridge is) they cross the water and as they reach the other side they are suppose to unload their cargo and join up with the officers that were originally in their cargo and then attack a town.

whew... that was alot of typing.

Im sorry if im retarded Chronicles, but im not getting the point, maybe this can help better explain the situation.

I understand more the problem and i have your solution smile.gif

Reading your second post

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If this isn't possible  I would like to know a way to make sure noone loads up with M113 when it is in their group.<span id='postcolor'>

I thought you never wanted the soldiers to move in cargo of the M113

And your third post

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Thanks Chronicles, I got the m113 to folow the group, but there is one problem...

The Group that the M113 Joins starts in the M113's cargo<span id='postcolor'>

made me think that the unit in cargo was something you wanted to get rid with the "M113 follow soldiers"

Now with your explanation , i see your problem is that after crossing the river , you dont know how to make the squad to disembark from the M113 then continue following their waypoints with the M113 covering them.

Try this (i will take the first squad with your names)

-You have your squad leader with that in the ini line

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">american1= group this; "_x moveincargo apc1" foreach units american1<span id='postcolor'>

GOOD

-You have the 2 crewmen named crew1 and crew 2 and your empty M113 named apc1 , and in its init line (nothing in the crewmen init line , difference with you)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">crew1 moveindriver apc1; crew2 moveingunner apc1; [crew1,crew2] join american1<span id='postcolor'>

We have the base set

-Now, make the waypoints for the leader of american1 , crossing the river and attacking the enemy

At the exact point you want the squad to disembark (the best is on an american1 waypoint), create a trigger , at the line ACTIVATION , select WEST

At the line On Activation put this

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">[crew1,crew2] join GrpNull; "unassignvehicle _x" forEach units american1; [crew1,crew2] join american1<span id='postcolor'>

So when the trigger will be activated by the arrival of the M113 , the 2 crewmen will join grpnull (it means they join no one) , then every member of american1 will leave the M113 , then just after that , the 2 crewmen will join again american1

And they will follow them in formation (i mean the M113 will follow american1) , covering american 1 , and NOBODY will try to enter again the M113 , thanks to the unassgignvehicle command

Finally, i think this time i helped you on your real problem , you have your M113 river crossing and M113 covering now wink.gif (i just tested and the squad disembark, then the M113 follow it )

Just apply the same thing to the 2 other squads and their crewmen and M113

Hi Sgt. Milkman

Another option might be to use the Command Engine but it may be more than you want; as it gives you full control of multiple squads up to light battalion level if you have a specific ORBAT it is easy to set up and there are several already made up as templates.

Click my sig bottom of this post to see more.

Kind Regards walker

Finally got it to work Chronicles!!

Thankyou for all of your help, I really appreciate it!!

Soon I will publish my mission for all to enjoy!!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi Sgt. Milkman

Another option might be to use the Command Engine but it may be more than you want; as it gives you full control of multiple squads up to light battalion level if you have a specific ORBAT it is easy to set up and there are several already made up as templates.<span id='postcolor'>

Thanks anyways walker, I already have one of those command engines.