Sign in to follow this  
Lacene

Working with mods from an external SSD

So, I have an internal 500GB SSD and an external 500GB SSD. I didn't realize that while vanilla out-of-the-box ARMA 3 only uses <50 GB, the mod packs will grow the total storage space usage by the hundreds of GBs. I have been told that to put ARMA 3 on an external drive - even a SSD drive - would slow down the play of the game. But is there a way to manage the mod pack files by putting THEM on the external drive, and having ARMA 3 on the internal and playing them from there?

I have a basic "main" mod pack that is huge in itself, then 4-5 other mods packs for 4-5 other various operation styles (Sci-Fi, Zombie, IFA, etc.) that may pertain only to op missions played about once a week or sometimes every 2-3 weeks. Seems that those other, lesser-played mod packs could be placed on the external SSD drive, and utilized from there, but really if THEY can go, then ALL could conceivably go. Otherwise, there's the possible manual work-around of just relocating the lesser-used mod packs to the external drive when they NOT required to play operations, then bring them back to the internal when they are scheduled. Just trying to figure out a way to utilize external storage space that I have plenty of available, without having to break down and buy a larger internal storage drive. Thanks for any help!

I still have right at 200GB of free storage space left on my internal, but it seems like that could fill up quickly with new mods coming out all the time.....

I personally work with windows symlinks for that if they're steam mods.  If they're not steam mods you can put them anywhere and just watch the folder via the launcher that you put those mods in.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, stanhope said:

I personally work with windows symlinks for that if they're steam mods.  If they're not steam mods you can put them anywhere and just watch the folder via the launcher that you put those mods in.

How do I know to tell if they are steam mods or not? Yes - I am a noob at this. I just joined the TSB group, and they are mods that they require. Is there some way to determine this? Thanks for the quick response!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lacene said:

How do I know to tell if they are steam mods or not?

Did you subscribe/download them through Steam Workshop?

• Like 2

On 12/29/2021 at 9:42 AM, Harzach said:

Did you subscribe/download them through Steam Workshop?

Oh I see. I thought you meant they were mods created by Steam, and not mods created by others, but still put in Steam for subscribing. I do believe that all the mods I have came from Steam.....

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Lacene said:

mods created by Steam

No such thing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1