avibird 1

Need advice and help. How did my mission.sqm become empty and the mission file name has no complete mission name ext but the mission name and folder is still intact in my ARMA3 folder.

I am going to try to explain this. I have a mission that I have been working on a for few years fooling around with trigger modules codes snippets. It basically my playground for ARMA. The only mod's I am using is CBBA_A3 MCC4 enhanced movements Vcom AI Zeus enhanced 3den enhanced and I recently removed achilles from my mod list.

The mission name is not complete in the editor. For example the mission name was always Raven_Platoon_ Assault.tanoa

I was playing the mission in the morning and was fooling around in the editor in the afternoon and when I want to play the mission that night my mission name in the editor was incomplete Raven Platoon   When I try to play I could not open the mission because there were no playable units in the selection screen. In my arma3 folder the mission had the right name and all of the other folders scrips and files that I added over the years but the mission.SQM was pretty much empty no editor placed units trigger markers or editor items only the bare minimal when you first start a mission in the editor. WTF the only thing I can think of is in the afternoon was I fooling around in the editor under tools- utilities placement tools pylon tool vehicle custom tools  GUI tools miscellaneous tools lobby manager. 

I don't understand how that can delete all my map placed items and change the mission name in the editor but not in my ARMA3 folder.

has anyone experienced something like this.

Did you perhaps by accident use the save dialog when you were trying to open the mission...? I only ask because I have done that 😅

If so you're out of luck unless you got a backup or an old pbo version of the mission lying around somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mrcurry said:

Did you perhaps by accident use the save dialog when you were trying to open the mission...? I only ask because I have done that 😅

I bet that's exactly what he's done. Because we've all done it 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At least that gives me an explanation. Can one of you explain why that happens if you use the save dialog? And where exactly is that located in the editor so I will make sure that never happens again SMH😢

The SAVE dialog is next to the OPEN dialog. It's an easy mistake. As @Tankbuster said, we've all done it (maybe more than once...)

jPLvN0T.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, avibird 1 said:

Can one of you explain why that happens if you use the save dialog?

When you open the editor a new empty mission is loaded into the editor by default, same as if you selected the "Scenario > New" option.

If you were to then accidentally use the Save option instead of the Open option and select an existing mission then by design the mission.sqm would be overwritten with the contents of the currently loaded empty mission and boom... Countless hours lost unless you got a backup.

This is one of the reason why I moved my missions folder over to Dropbox and added a symlink to trick A3 to believe it's in the right place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow I have been playing OFP/ARMA for a while I have never done that before it heard of somebody doing that before. I will make a backup of my mission.SQM after major changes made. I did have  an old copy of the mission like from 6 months ago with around 65% of the editor placed stuff so it not like starting from scratch. I can't believe I did that lol SMH. For arma4 you should have to confirm that function before you override a previous sqm