Sign in to follow this  
sibu82

I can always pick up a gun faster IRL than in Arma3

While I'm still fuming about the broken Old Man, a bit about the physics and playability of ArmA3 in general

(While I may sound angry, I've actually found the best game ever and I'm happy to contribute to the critical mass of reports to make things even better.)

• Accessing corpses is often a hassle, especially when they are on rooftops. Often a weapon just disappears/falls through the roof when I try to access it. The area where the "rifle icon" appears is way too small. Since inventory tabs (ground/crate etc.) are a thing, why not all make things on an certain radius from the player to be accessible. I hate having to spend seconds searching for the proper "aim" at corpses' inventories when in a hurry. Of all the times I was in a firefight IRL, I could always pick up a gun faster IRL than in Arma3.
  • When I try to loot an empty outfit into my backpack I always end up wearing it. On second try, it goes properly into the backpack. I have died because of this. Happens with vests too.
  • Being injured while driving seems way too easy. Sometimes I need a treat myself after quadbike drive without even knowing I may have had bumped into 10cm high root. Sure, simulator and IRL people are extra careful with vehicles but this seems still excessive.
  • The way camera bobs around while driving in the woods. OMG. GMG. Whatever. I wish I could see through the foliage between the car and the camera. I guess just stick to simulating myself onto the front seat.
  • I reversed a truck to a door, shut the engine and tried to go inside. It was too close. Pressed 'V' to snug past. DIED. This has worked with offroads though. To add to the injury, I was still clueless enough to use the recommended restricted saving in Old Man. And, boy, a save was a long way back.
  • Item stacks in inventory shuffle randomly. It is super annoying. A link to the discussion.

Haha, sorry to be patronizing but this is just too cute. Reading this takes me back like 15 years, when I was full of zeal, ideas on what is up and how to improve it. Yes, you're absolutely right. All of this is annoying but also a thing since forever. It's not like devs are not aware of all this, going back to early 2000s they too were very ambitious and enthusiastic but then reality settled in. I am certain they want to have all the things in Arma at top quality level but as you said, pretty much no other game does anything on this scale and BI is not a billion dollar company with thousands of employees (if they were, there probably wouldn't be Arma but let's not get into that). Therefore, individual aspects suffer in polish.

It is a relatively slow evolution, depending on how you look at it. On one hand, some of these things are still the same since 2001 but on the other, Arma 3 truly is an evolution of OPF/CWA in every aspect. There are very few, if any, franchises left that can say that.

Anyway, never mind all that, fact is that, unfortunately, Arma 3 is maintained by a skeleton crew at this point and there is only so much they can do. But they are still fixing most important things so keep the tickets going and Old Man will get sorted out. As things stand, only the most pragmatic approaches are currently in effect.

Regarding future, we do not know much on what is going on behind the scenes. There were some plans for a new/improved game engine but those kind of things take a lot of resources and time and not much is known about that whole situation at the moment. Perhaps some other, more up-to-date members can chime in on that.

My recommendation on the long run would be not to overdo it with Arma, if you need a brake, take it. Come hang out here on forums, there are plenty of disillusioned lurkers left around here 🙂, or try out some new things in the meanwhile. Some aspects we just have to live with until certain things fall into place, so don't burn yourself out, this is more of a marathon type thing.

• Like 7

Install the REAL MOD and Animations FIX from Steam Workshop.

It will speed up a lot of the animations and make it feel a tad smoother plus some other nice things along the way...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sibu82 said:

While I'm still fuming about the broken Old Man, a bit about the physics and playability of ArmA3 in general

(While I may sound angry, I've actually found the best game ever and I'm happy to contribute to the critical mass of reports to make things even better.)

• Accessing corpses is often a hassle, especially when they are on rooftops. Often a weapon just disappears/falls through the roof when I try to access it. The area where the "rifle icon" appears is way too small. Since inventory tabs (ground/crate etc.) are a thing, why not all make things on an certain radius from the player to be accessible. I hate having to spend seconds searching for the proper "aim" at corpses' inventories when in a hurry. Of all the times I was in a firefight IRL, I could always pick up a gun faster IRL than in Arma3.
  • When I try to loot an empty outfit into my backpack I always end up wearing it. On second try, it goes properly into the backpack. I have died because of this. Happens with vests too.
  • Being injured while driving seems way too easy. Sometimes I need a treat myself after quadbike drive without even knowing I may have had bumped into 10cm high root. Sure, simulator and IRL people are extra careful with vehicles but this seems still excessive.
  • The way camera bobs around while driving in the woods. OMG. GMG. Whatever. I wish I could see through the foliage between the car and the camera. I guess just stick to simulating myself onto the front seat.
  • I reversed a truck to a door, shut the engine and tried to go inside. It was too close. Pressed 'V' to snug past. DIED. This has worked with offroads though. To add to the injury, I was still clueless enough to use the recommended restricted saving in Old Man. And, boy, a save was a long way back.
  • Item stacks in inventory shuffle randomly. It is super annoying. A link to the discussion.

All the things you are complaining about are due to the very outdated game engine that Arma uses, and as the first reply mentioned, there is only a very small number of people at BI maintaining Arma. While I would encourage you to put in tickets for anything serious, I wouldn't expect much to be fixed. 

• Like 3

Just a case of keep the light on and wear gloves for the cold. Gather around the one lone paraffin heater and work on the code.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valken said:

It will speed up a lot of the animations and make it feel a tad smoother plus some other nice things along the way...

I mean, some links wouldn't go amiss with that caps lock... 😄

On 12/6/2021 at 4:27 PM, Valken said:

will this be compatible with all official content? 

Cheers @Janez for level-headednessing. Though I guess that skeleton crew don't need food or sleep.  😛

I see many things in ArmA3 have to be taken with the attitude of Martincitopants in "How it feels to upgrade your PC" (2:18 )

Do you really think ArmA3 cares about your system specs? ArmA3 will run at 20 fps. And you'll like it.

11 hours ago, sibu82 said:

will this be compatible with all official content? 

Try it. It works with all Vanilla content and currently seems to be working with all the DLC and cDLC regarding animation speed ups.

There is a "camo" visual adjustment in the Realmod as well but that part might need adjustment for the new uniforms. 

@Valken  I am trying it.

(1) Launching the game says "fast movement" demands some CBA_XEH addon which I can't find in Steam Workshop.

(2) Playing Old Man: planes and helicopters randomly freeze in the sky. Easy targets, but also utterly indestructible.

These are related, yes?

My bad. I forgot about mod inheritance. Yes. CBA is required for many mods as pre-cursor mod.

You can try these other mods to speed up the slowness in the game:

Ladder Tweak - climb up ladders about 3x

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1803586009

Swim faster with any uniform:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1598735666&searchtext=swim+faster

Enhance movement rework  so you can perform running jump over things instead stepping over it- make sure to download the old Enhance movement as a dependency

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2034363662&searchtext=enhance+movement

And turn OFF stamina limitations under GAME OPTIONS so you can run all day. If you do not, you will get tired and slow down. 

ARMA is a huge game and you need all the speed you can to get across the terrain to get an objective if you are being hunted by a ton of AI. 

Enjoy.

• Like 1