ducphuli

The sound of shells falling on different surfaces (Test)

I play Arma 3 but there hasn't been a mod (in decades) that makes the sound of bullet casings falling on different surfaces. 😦
I'm learning about this but I think my predecessors have learned about this as well, that's because BI is pretty limited on this after decades.

1. Here is a bit of my application, but how do I deal with water, rain, metal, wood.... ?

2. I thought of another way, but I don't know if it works:
Get footsteps on different surfaces as a conditional event handler to trigger the sound of shells falling on different surfaces. (Will this work guys?)

class CfgSoundShaders {
    class MDV_bulletcasing_param_SoundShader {        
        range = 10;
        rangeCurve[] = {{0, 1}, {5, 0.51}, {10, 0}};        
        limitation = 1;    
    };        

class MDV_bulletcasing_mglink_SoundShader : MDV_bulletcasing_param_SoundShader {
        volume = "1 * (1-sea))";
        limitation = 1;    
    };    

class MDV_bulletcasing_soft_SoundShader : MDV_bulletcasing_param_SoundShader {
        volume = "1 * (1-houses) * (1-interior))";
        limitation = 1;    
    };    

class MDV_bulletcasing_hard_SoundShader : MDV_bulletcasing_param_SoundShader {
        volume = "1 * houses * (1-interior))";        
        limitation = 1;    
    };        

class MDV_bulletcasing_interior_SoundShader : MDV_bulletcasing_param_SoundShader {
        volume = "1.05 * interior";
        limitation = 1;    
    };            
    //???
    class MDV_bulletcasing_water_SoundShader : MDV_bulletcasing_param_SoundShader {
        volume = "1 - sea";
        limitation = 1;    
    };        
    //???
    class MDV_bulletcasing_interior_Vehicle_SoundShader : MDV_bulletcasing_param_SoundShader {
        volume = 1.2;
        range = 3;        
        rangeCurve[] = {{0, 1},{1, 1}, {3, 0}};        
        limitation = 1;
    };        
    class MDV_bulletcasing_exterior_Vehicle_SoundShader : MDV_bulletcasing_param_SoundShader {
        volume = 0.12;
        limitation = 1;
    };
};

Thanks for watching, I'm looking forward to any help from all of your answers

Is that even possible ? Considering 'Battlefield 1' was the 1st (AFAIK, and possibly the only one) to feature that, I'd be surprised if such a limited Engine could even do that without an ugly hack, or even with.

18 hours ago, rautamiekka said:

Is that even possible ? Considering 'Battlefield 1' was the 1st (AFAIK, and possibly the only one) to feature that, I'd be surprised if such a limited Engine could even do that without an ugly hack, or even with.

I'm looking at more, maybe just can use script

Oh, kinda didn't see it!

Unfortunately, there is no way to make use of sounds for different surfaces on weapon soundShaders. Like, none.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2021 at 5:20 PM, nomisum said:

I am by all means a noob in this topic, but check this documentation in regards of surface types:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3:_Sound:_SoundControllers

It seems surface related sound adjustment is possible. Check this thread for a good start how to implement those factors:

Thanks for the extra hint, I know that doesn't apply to weapons 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, laxemann said:

Oh, kinda didn't see it!

Unfortunately, there is no way to make use of sounds for different surfaces on weapon soundShaders. Like, none.

Thank you audio developer, thanks to you and a few other friends for helping me learn how to make sounds.
For the time being, I am applying the above simple way

• Thanks 1