Sign in to follow this  
Doolittle

Co 14 fourshilkas eden

I've just released a new map.  This map has something special:  you can be "revived" if you die.  A teammate just has to walk up to your dead body & you will be back in the game.  If everyone on a team dies then the game is over.

co14do_fourshilkas.zip

Doolittle

Yeah it works out great because you still have the "scare" factor.  If it was a map where once you die you are out, then you creep along and don't want to die, take everything seriously.  If you do respawn, then you usually just go running in with guns blazing.  This way, because of the fact that someone has to come over to your body, that someone else has to save you, you don't want to die, but if you do, it might not be the end of the world.  And it discourages lone wolf strategy for if you die all alone, how will you be rescued?

Doolittle

Nice respawn idea, indeed. smile.gif

Edit:

<span style='color:red'>I became an Advanced Member with this post</span> biggrin.gif

I have played this mission and really like the revive idea, but I was wondering two things:

1. Can you put a time limit on revive, say 3 minutes, then the player is permamently dead?

2. Could you work it so that only medics can revive fallen characters?

Well we played it but we were all a little mystified..

We cruised around in some bmp's we stole from what we thought were some individually stupid AI crew, standing on top of their bmps..

Then as we progressed through the mission, we were kind of confused as there was noone around at all, no enemy, we cruised past shilka with more crew standing on top of it rather than in it and killed them, moved on..

We finished the mission without really being indanger even slightly..

I am not even sure how I would get AI to stand on top of their tank like that if I wanted to, without using SetPos, so I don't know what sort of bug poor Doolittle has run into.

But we'll need a new version to host on GP if he can fix it.

Cheers,

Strange, I've played that mission online about 4 times and never seen anything like that happen.

My only small gripe about the mission is that your are a team sent in to take out 4 shilkas, but have no stachels, mines or AT weapons. Having to scavenge the weapons you need from enemy soldiers isn't very realistic IMHO.

OxPecker, excellent points!! I will keep that in mind next time.

Lt_Damage, yes that happened to me too and I don't know why. That is a bad bug I need to fix. The crew stands on the BMP because they are the OLD BMP crew. My script deleted the old BMP but not the crew! Then it made a new BMP and crew when you got near. This is another bug I need to fix.

Thanks for the feedback though!!

Doolittle

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Doolittle @ Feb. 20 2003,03:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OxPecker, excellent points!!  I will keep that in mind next time.<span id='postcolor'>

No problem. Just glad you didn't take it as an insult, it was meant as contructive criticism.

All in all I really like the mission, and the revive/respawn idea is fantastic. smile.gif

I love the idea too but I never got to use it because we never came close to getting injured.

I suppose we could shoot each other to test it until Doolittle sends us another version biggrin.gif

I've released another co14do_fourshilkas.zip.

OxPecker, okay, I made them all Black Ops so they have satchels and the ammo box has some LAWs in it.  Also added some boats that are leaving to show how they got there in the first place. smile.gif

I fiddled with the spawning enemy.  Please try again and let me know if no enemies are showing up along the mission.  This is not a good thing.  I did get rid of the AI standing on the tank.  WAIT, did you say the crew was outside the BMPs?  Meaning the BMPs were empty?  How did you steal them?  The BMP crews I thought were because when I deleted all enemies to spawn them in later that I forgot to delete any crew inside the vehicles.  If in fact they are there because they aren't spawned inside the BMP then this is NOT good.

For the reviveable respawn, you can now loot the body and this WILL affect what weapons that guy spawns back in with. smile.gif  Also says who saved you. Also it will now leave a MARKER where you died so that your friends can find you!

Please download and try the mission if you can.  This mission is to mostly test some advanced scripting.  Help me with this and I can release some solid Respawn Revive code and Spawn in Enemy code.

With the Spawn in Enemy code, I spawn enemies in when you are in that "area".  They follow waypoints and everything.  This should reduce lag and still allow for large amounts of enemies on the map.  PLEASE send me feedback on how this is working for you.  Note: there are supposed to be enemies all over so if you are not running into anything then it's not working.

Thanks again for helping me with this project!

Doolittle

Aw man! The enemy doesn't spawn in. This is annoying! Okay, I need to work on this mission more....so please disreguard last post.

Doolittle

Doolittle, I know how you feel man, I was just testing my latest mission Reapers, and the guys had to download it about 5 times after edit's, and it still isn't finished!

I suggest jumping on Gameplanet tonight, and you can do some proper testing, the best way to test a multiplayer mission is to do it online and the GP crew are getting pretty experienced at testing now biggrin.gif

Okay!  I tracked down some bugs!  New release is now out at my website.

Markers on map where a player dies so you can find their corpse to revive them.

YOU CAN NOW MOVE AROUND when you are dead.  Keeps you from getting bored.

I found out why tank crew was standing on top of BMPs, you can't delete someone if they are inside a vehicle, so I had to make it so the tank crew waits until its BMP is deleted before I deleted them.

Also I believe I fixed the thing where stuff doesn't spawn in.  But that requires more testing.

But as far as I know all bugs have been squashed!  The only thing I am aware of that I will not be able to remove is how computer AI, when killed will radio back to you (since they are alive on some island in the ocean).  It would be nice if they didn't speak.

Hope you enjoy the map.  This map is mostly a technology test for the Revive Respawn and Many Enemy Spawn scripts.

Doolittle

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Doolittle @ Feb. 22 2003,07:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OxPecker, okay, I made them all Black Ops so they have satchels and the ammo box has some LAWs in it.  Also added some boats that are leaving to show how they got there in the first place. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Excellent, thanks.

Littlew touches like that really make the mission for me. I will try out the new version ASAP. smile.gif

Okay there is a new version of this map up on my site. Nice new respawn code in it too....

Doolittle

Doolitle

GREAT respawn script!! our clan really enjoyed it...!

1) which version is th elatest ..12 or 14 player version?

2) Is there any way that the respawn could be ONLY done by the medic..is that possible...?

really enjoying playing it...nice one!

Padman

www.vs-uk.net

Hi again..

In addition..just found a small bug in the 12 player version (which I am assuming is most recent)+co12do_fourshilkas.Eden.pbo

When dead , if you hit V , then you respawn back at the original location (the start) ..your body bag is still where you died ,and it takes a long time to get revived by a teammate, at which point you warp back to where you died...is this intended...?

Nevertheless its our clans favorite mission right now !

Keep up the good work!

Padman

www.vs-uk.net

NEW NEW

Okay, I'm trashing co12do_fourshilkas.  It was just a map to test my scripts.  Now testing is done & we have a finished product!

NOTICE, there are now three missions at my little webpage called co12do_noe.zip.  This zip has these three missions I made: smile.gif co12do_takevalley, co12do_citydefense, and co12do_interimbase. smile.gif

These missions show off the REVIVE RESPAWN thingy.

Revive Respawn

- When you die a teammate can come over and "revive" you

- You decide at setup how many times you can be revived (0..infinite)

- The AI can be revived if they are killed AND they also run around and revive eachother & you

- When someone is dead a big X will appear on the map, when they come back, the X will be removed

- When you are dead you can fly around like a seagull to watch the action until someone saves you

I am not a fan of team respawn, the guy that dies the most uses up the AI soldiers.  Or the constant respawn, where you go running in shooting at everything, die & then respawn again with no worries, repeat.  However I hated playing without respawn because you could teamkill someone by backing up over them, or you shoot the mountain with a LAW accidentally killing yourself or some lone AI sniper picks you off, or you sneak up to the enemy base, crawling along for 30 minutes & then you get shot without even shooting at them...frustrating!  SO hopefully Revive Respawn will be a compromise.  Fear being killed, yet it's not game over necessarily if you do die...IF you can convince a teammate to come over to your body & rescue you.  This also encourages people to STICK TOGETHER.

Doolittle

Doolittle..

cheers for that..have you actually abandoned the MISSION 4shilkas...?

We really liked it!..great teamwork mission...

Or is the version available now with the completely fixed script?

Keep up the good work

Padman

www.vs-uk.net