SeelieKnight

CTD caused by Boats in water and helicopters flying?

When I start up a map where and there is a boat floating in water, and I try to open the pause menu (escape button) the game crashes. Sometimes it just crashes the instant I enter a boat that is floating on water.  Something about having a boat on the water just seems to crash the game. Exit code: 0XC0000005 - STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION

I played around some more and realized that flying helicopters also seem to have this same issue. 

Tested on Altis, Stratis, Tanoa, and VR. 
No mods loaded. 
Very consistent. Happens every time both when playing mission from the Editor or in SP scenarios. 

EDIT: 
I got my game working properly again by adding -malloc=system to the command line parameters. So I'm guessing a memory allocator .dll got corrupted or something? I'm good for now, but would be interested if there is a way to solve that underlying issue. 

17 hours ago, SeelieKnight said:

[...]

I'm good for now, but would be interested if there is a way to solve that underlying issue. 

Get more RAM.

But in all seriousness, what you have done is pretty much the way to fix it...

Also, check out this thread that is pinned at the top of this part of the forums. Might be some more solutions but if what you have done has worked leave it well enough alone.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, SeelieKnight said:

Exit code: 0XC0000005 - STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION

This is the wiki for that code https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3:_Unusual_process_exit#0xC0000005_-_ACCESS_VIOLATION

what you did was the correct thing to do thats why you solved your issue at least temporarily.

What are your computer specs btw, sounds like you may need a little upgrade, as SJB suggested upgrading your ram will seriously help.

So whatever you have currently get more, and with a high frequency. In this game lots of ram with a high frequency, the game on an SSD, decent GPU

and good CPU imo i7-700k or better will allow the game to perform well without issues, or until you have 200+ ai on the map throwing

grenades and dropping bombs on each other at once in Georgetown Tanoa will you see a major performance loss. 😆

• Thanks 1

Ehh. I'm not sure about just upgrading RAM. I mean, I know that will be an improvement as I currently only have 16GB. 32 would be great, but like, I can run Star Citizen right now without much issue and that's probably one of the most RAM intensive games I can think of. And these crashes were happening with essentially empty missions. Literally one player and one added object.

Not ruling out that this could be an issue with my system though. RAM does seem to be running at higher capacity than it should be. It was hovering above 50% with just Steam and Discord open. Went through and killed some programs and restarted Steam and Discord seems to have helped a bit, but in the past I've found that this issue has a tendency to come back after a day or so. Irritating, but at least the memalloc fix lets me game. 

59 minutes ago, SeelieKnight said:

Ehh. I'm not sure about just upgrading RAM. I mean, I know that will be an improvement as I currently only have 16GB. 32 would be great, but like, I can run Star Citizen right now without much issue and that's probably one of the most RAM intensive games I can think of

Trust me, ArmA is worse...

59 minutes ago, SeelieKnight said:

And these crashes were happening with essentially empty missions. Literally one player and one added object.

Both of which require PhysX calculations (the aircraft flying and the boat floating), which I'm guessing eat your RAM like a fat guy at an all you can eat buffet, so go figure...

I'm currently playing/scripting on a old laptop (my PC is sailing to France...)

Acer Intel core i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.5 GHz 16 Go RAM  proc x64 GC intel HD graphics 4600 & NVIDIA Geforce GTX 860M  (nothing sexy)

I'm using everyday CUP and personal mod for mission creation, helos, boats, smokes are not a problem for decent (playable) FPS. I dismounted all NVIDIA drivers and set the video by Arma's suggested settings in game. It's far better and fluid than any NVIDIA Geforce (I kept that for my formula 1 desktop)

I never crashed CTD for a while (even toggling ALT TAB which could be problematic by the past). I can even launch a dedicated server session + a client one.

So...

- check your hardware (phones, sticks),

- check the integrity files (Steam library / arma right click/ properties / local files / check integity

- close all unnecessary apps (I'm on Windows 8, only native antivirus). Perhaps, did you pass on W11? (W10 is fine also)

- if no success, try to report deeper (rpt files). There are topics about that.

• Like 1