froggyluv

Any Idea of Mine Detection?

Was wondering what determines whether an AI can successfully navigate around a mine or not? Obviously besides the Mine Sweeper tool -sometimes AI spot ground mines and either times they dont. Is this a dice roll/raycast tied into their subSKill Spotting/spotTime skill setting or does it have to do with the type of ground terrain its laying on etc? Same goes for Tanks and Apcs with road mines -it seems utterly random whether they spot one or not

• Like 3

I also wonder this, from a perspective of wanting to create an area of "fake" mines to get AI to "path around" a desired area.

1 hour ago, madrussian said:

I also wonder this, from a perspective of wanting to create an area of "fake" mines to get AI to "path around" a desired area.

Does anyone know if you can "reveal" mines to units?  If so, you could reveal them to the units to insure they account for them in path finding.

I also wonder if you could temporarily place invisible wall objects to affect the pathing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Does anyone know if you can "reveal" mines to units?  If so, you could reveal them to the units to insure they account for them in path finding.

I also wonder if you could temporarily place invisible wall objects to affect the pathing.

Of course, you can. But not for units - for whole side.

west revealMine _mine;

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

I tried to do just that for a long time, but I never came to a satisfactory result. I realized that one object can affect the path of a unit, and even then not always. But two objects placed side by side with a high degree of probability will allow a unit to pass between them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ibragim A said:

Of course, you can. But not for units - for whole side.

west revealMine _mine;

Thanks! I was unaware of that command.  I now see there is also:

detectedMines

These commands should help @froggyluv a bit, although it doesn't answer his question if/when AI detect mines not previously known about.  I do know if the player places a mine, it is known to the units on his squad, and they will avoid walking on them.

29 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

2021-08-19-16-47-34.png

I have a recon patrol script, that works like you see on this screenshot. Maybe something from this idea will come in handy for you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, froggyluv said:

Was wondering what determines whether an AI can successfully navigate around a mine or not? Obviously besides the Mine Sweeper tool -sometimes AI spot ground mines and either times they dont. Is this a dice roll/raycast tied into their subSKill Spotting/spotTime skill setting or does it have to do with the type of ground terrain its laying on etc? Same goes for Tanks and Apcs with road mines -it seems utterly random whether they spot one or not

It is necessary to clarify who we are talking about.

Are we talking about mines that the player has placed and that the enemy's AI has detected? Or mines that are being detected by another group on the same side as the group that placed them?

In fact, I've never seen an AI without a mine detector detect enemy mines. Тhe same thing with armored vehicles. Armored vehicles sometimes simply drive past a mine without hitting it with a wheel. (For this, I like to place a stretcher mine right next to a ground anti-tank mine)

37 minutes ago, Ibragim A said:

I have a recon patrol script, that works like you see on this screenshot. Maybe something from this idea will come in handy for you.

Great thread, thanks.  @madrussian, maybe spawning an enemy in the spot you want to avoid and then calculating path to avoid him, then deleting that spawned enemy will work for your area avoidance needs.

25 minutes ago, Ibragim A said:

It is necessary to clarify who we are talking about.

Are we talking about mines that the player has placed and that the enemy's AI has detected? Or mines that are being detected by another group on the same side as the group that placed them?

In fact, I've never seen an AI without a mine detector detect enemy mines. Тhe same thing with armored vehicles. Armored vehicles sometimes simply drive past a mine without hitting it with a wheel. (For this, I like to place a stretcher mine right next to a ground anti-tank mine)

So thanks for the RevealMine -that will be useful. So id like to me able to modify a Squads chances of detecting mines based on their Behaviour Safe, Aware, Careless, Combat etc.. as well as their travel speed, as well as vegetation and lastly the Classtype of the detecting units. For instance Id use a VietCong Recon Scout have the higher ability to detect mines and traps so that every squad would want them.

SO basically if a squad does not have a mine detector - im thinking i can just use revealMine by my other determining factors above to make traversing the landscape alot more interesting

• Like 1

20 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Great thread, thanks.  @madrussian, maybe spawning an enemy in the spot you want to avoid and then calculating path to avoid him, then deleting that spawned enemy will work for your area avoidance needs.

Good idea, yes seems some tests are in order.  Units often calculate quite convoluted paths to avoid enemy units though.  Seems like with fake mines units may very well path closely around the desired area, which could be shaped exactly as desired.  (Again, without having tried this.)  Probably pros and cons in each column.

• Like 1