marki980908

Retexturing vehicles, not working

Evening, so I was trying to retexture a vehicle in Eden using scripts like:

this setObjectTextureGlobal [0, "#(argb,8,8,3)color(0.25,0.25,0.25,0.3)"];
this setObjectTextureGlobal [1, "#(argb,8,8,3)color(0.25,0.25,0.25,0.3)"];

However after that failed I got curious, I checked out mod config file and noticed that hidden selections were written like this:

hiddenSelections[]=
{
	"camo" "camo1" "camo2" "camo3" "camo4" "camo5" "camo6"
};

So I changed it to this:

hiddenSelections[]=
	{
		"camo","camo1","camo2","camo3","camo4","camo5","camo6"
	};

Afterwards when I tried to retexture it ingame, only texture #1 worked, textures #0, #2, #3..... #15 etc didnt work

this setObjectTextureGlobal [1, "#(argb,8,8,3)color(0.25,0.25,0.25,0.3)"];

My question is, I assume that selections are named differently in there, and config file is written with mistakes, is there any way I could figure out, how they are suppose to be called?

3 hours ago, marki980908 said:

My question is, I assume that selections are named differently in there, and config file is written with mistakes, is there any way I could figure out, how they are suppose to be called?

You could try asking the author maybe?

2 minutes ago, Jackal326 said:

Problem with that, is that the mod I am trying to expand my knowledge with was abandoned 5 years ago. And I think solving this problem would expand my knowledge once I want to make a vehicle mod from inception myself.

On 10/9/2021 at 9:09 PM, Jackal326 said:

I managed to contact the author, and he doesnt even have most of the files from 5 years ago anymore. I looked into the config file and it seems none of the texture paths are set there, I assume they are all set inside the p3d. Any idea how could I make retextures?

3 hours ago, marki980908 said:

I managed to contact the author, and he doesnt even have most of the files from 5 years ago anymore. I looked into the config file and it seems none of the texture paths are set there, I assume they are all set inside the p3d. Any idea how could I make retextures?

Its a grey area, but if you have permission from the author you could open the model in a hex editor and try searching for camo1 and/or variants of that. The issue isn't for them to work they can be named absolutely anything and not necessarily "camo1" etc. If they don't show up in the hex editor search then chances are the model(s) does not actually have hiddenselections set up as its an optional extra added at the discretion of the author - some authors add it for customisation, some don't because they don't know how or CBA.

1 hour ago, Jackal326 said:

Its a grey area, but if you have permission from the author you could open the model in a hex editor and try searching for camo1 and/or variants of that. The issue isn't for them to work they can be named absolutely anything and not necessarily "camo1" etc. If they don't show up in the hex editor search then chances are the model(s) does not actually have hiddenselections set up as its an optional extra added at the discretion of the author - some authors add it for customisation, some don't because they don't know how or CBA.

I looked up in hex, and I can see camo, camo 1........camo6. But it doesnt seem to work.
Author told me he doesnt remember adding hidden selections. Is there any other way to have multiple textures of the same vehicle without those?

4 minutes ago, marki980908 said:

I looked up in hex, and I can see camo, camo 1........camo6. But it doesnt seem to work.
Author told me he doesnt remember adding hidden selections. Is there any other way to have multiple textures of the same vehicle without those?

Other than having duplicate models each with different textures assigned, I do not think there is (but I could be wrong)