mikey74

Pinned Down. Bringing a reason for Fire Superiority to Arma 3!

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Fire superiority. In military terms: the concept of establishing a greater volume of effective fire than your enemy. 

In my opinion. There is really no true fire superiority in Arma. This mod try's to correct that.

The way it works at this time. Is based on the suppression system. When suppression goes up. The AI go down. So long as their suppression is higher than zero. They will crawl. This is also randomized a bit.

Please give some suggestions. I cant promise I'll do what's suggested, but I'll definitely give it a look and consideration. Keep in mind. I want to keep this tiny for the time being. 😉 FOA/AISS got way to large to keep up with.

I can confirm this is compatible to Lambs AI stuff.  I've personally tested with Lambs AI stuff as well as others. No one is reporting problems, nor did I encounter any problems. If you encounter problems with Lambs mod or any other mod. Please let me know. I'll see what I can do to fix it when time is available. 😉 

I will say the Danger mod and Pinned look silly together as Lambs AI love rolling.  So I'd recommend turning off Lambs main danger unit dodging function in ADDON options. Other wise if a unit gets pinned they end up looking like a group a toddlers on a sugar high. lol His suppression mod and turret mod and THIS mod all compliment each other. Make sure if you Use Lambs mods to put Pinned behind them in the load order.

Download:

Pinned link

Incompatible list: <--------- Will try and fix, but no idea how long it may take.

FOW

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

What pinned mod does! 

This will show what pinned does. I will upload a vanilla video too. Notice how USA troops gain the upper hand and go proned less often towards the end of the video. While the NVA stay proned for the most part. 😉 

This is what Vanilla does.

Can’t test atm but I like the idea of this Mikey. Kinda crazy to me how the main idea of infantry focus - superior fire volume and properly calibrated combat orientation seems to have never been a primary focus of ofp/arma despite its notoriety as the gold standard infantry combat sim. 

• Like 4

Hi... I haven't updated this on BIS forums in a bit. Here is all the updates:

Update: Nov 7 @ 2:07am

Added a chance for AI MG's to return suppressive fire.
There is also a slider for this in options

Update: Nov 2 @ 7:08am

Signed Pinned thanks to
Gunter Severloh video. 🙂

Update: Oct 17 @ 4:18am

Cleaned up some code from learning. I'm a bit rusty and still lots to learn. 😕

Update: Oct 17 @ 4:15am

Pinned Event handlers were writing over CBA's event handlers.
This is now fixed. Thanks diwako 🙂

Update: Oct 16 @ 1:41pm

HotFix: Units were staying down even after fight was over. Thanks @[JS] ๖ۣۜShadow Wolf

Update: Oct 15 @ 4:33pm

Added Option in Addon Options to adjust threshold of suppression. (The higher the number the closer to Vanilla you get. a 2 basically turns it off while 0 ramps it up).
Added if !server exit to FSM. Hopefully for server stability.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Hi, this looks very, very interesting . I know you said that this is compatible with LAMBS ai mod. By chance do you have any video testing footage of you running your mod alongside LAMBS ai? Thank you in advance .. 

6 hours ago, WarhammerActual said:

Hi, this looks very, very interesting . I know you said that this is compatible with LAMBS ai mod. By chance do you have any video testing footage of you running your mod alongside LAMBS ai? Thank you in advance .. 

Hey man you generally dont ask modders to go thru the trouble of uploading their mods with other mods to try and prove they work well together -thats something you generally test yourself. Think about the amount of situations theyd have to go thru because in one instance they may play nice together while totally not in another

• Like 3

On 10/8/2021 at 3:32 PM, mikey74 said:

I can confirm this is compatible to Lambs AI stuff. I will say the Danger mod and Pinned look silly together as Lambs AI love rolling.  So I'd recomend turning off Lambs main danger unit dodging function in ADDON options. Other wise if a unit gets pinned they end up looking like a group a toddlers on a sugar high. lol His suppression mod and turret mod and THIS mod all compliment each other. Make sure if you Use Lambs mods to put Pinned behind them in the load order.

Frogg I am well aware of forum etiquette and that "testing " is typically incumbent on the user. However, the reason I asked is, as above, the "modder" said it was compatible. So this means either they, or someone else tested it.  I was simply asking  if they had any remnants of that video testing, since  YouTube video test comparisons were linked ..  But  thank you for your input.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WarhammerActual said:

Frogg I am well aware of forum etiquette and that "testing " is typically incumbent on the user. However, the reason I asked is, as above, the "modder" said it was compatible. So this means either they, or someone else tested it.  I was simply asking  if they had any remnants of that video testing, since  YouTube video test comparisons were linked ..  But  thank you for your input.

If in doubt. Your best bet is to stick with Lambs mod. You already are familiar with it, and like it.

Though I will fix my mod if its reported incompatible. I just do not have the time nor man power to continually test or do video's of compatibility of other mods. 

I tested it once and others have reported to use both without problems sense. My code is tiny. Though it is possible, its unlikely to cause problems so long as you load Pinned last in the load order. 😉 

But if you're in doubt. Just don't use Pinned. Lambs mod does way more than mine. Mine only enhances 1 tiny thing. 

May I just interject and just say I think some are reading far too much into what was asked. There was no real breach of etiquette--at least from my perspective as both a player and modder. I think their point was not of doubting the words of the modder, but since LAMBS was mentioned specifically by the author, in addition to having already posted a video example comparison of it in use vs vanilla...they were merely curious if there happened to have been any footage recorded by the author as well that had LAMBS active during their own testing of their own mod (especially since the mod creator himself confirms in his own words it was compatible and tested it once together--thus completely fair to consider the thought of possibly while being tested by the mod author that maaaaaybe there was some small chance of some footage). There was no doubting the words of the author as truth nor any breach of etiquette or demands, just nothing more than mere curiosity if the mod author--or perhaps from another user testing this with LAMBS--had a video. Yes surely--when it doubt, test it for yourself. But sometimes seeing something visual to compare can be helpful at times albeit not a necessity nor requirement, that's why there has already been comparison footage taken and posted for this very reason by the modder themself, no? All I'm just saying is as a user and modder myself, I got what Warhammer was meaning and didn't want 'em feeling like his post was somehow either calling the mod author a liar or somehow demanding proof to be "sold" on giving this a try, kind of like "well prove to me why I should even waste my time downloading this to try?" sort of thing.

Regardless, I am quite interested in trying this myself. Perhaps if I get some free time I can maybe get a recording in as well and post it at some point since I am a LAMBS user and would love to give this a go in combination. I'll be sure to also do as suggested and turn off the danger unit dodging function too as suggested. Look forward to it! Thanks for putting this together and releasing it to the community! 🙂

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, PTV-Jobo said:

May I just interject and just say I think some are reading far too much into what was asked. There was no real breach of etiquette--at least from my perspective as both a player and modder. I think their point was not of doubting the words of the modder, but since LAMBS was mentioned specifically by the author, in addition to having already posted a video example comparison of it in use vs vanilla...they were merely curious if there happened to have been any footage recorded by the author as well that had LAMBS active during their own testing of their own mod (especially since the mod creator himself confirms in his own words it was compatible and tested it once together--thus completely fair to consider the thought of possibly while being tested by the mod author that maaaaaybe there was some small chance of some footage). There was no doubting the words of the author as truth nor any breach of etiquette or demands, just nothing more than mere curiosity if the mod author--or perhaps from another user testing this with LAMBS--had a video. Yes surely--when it doubt, test it for yourself. But sometimes seeing something visual to compare can be helpful at times albeit not a necessity nor requirement, that's why there has already been comparison footage taken and posted for this very reason by the modder themself, no? All I'm just saying is as a user and modder myself, I got what Warhammer was meaning and didn't want 'em feeling like his post was somehow either calling the mod author a liar or somehow demanding proof to be "sold" on giving this a try, kind of like "well prove to me why I should even waste my time downloading this to try?" sort of thing.

Regardless, I am quite interested in trying this myself. Perhaps if I get some free time I can maybe get a recording in as well and post it at some point since I am a LAMBS user and would love to give this a go in combination. I'll be sure to also do as suggested and turn off the danger unit dodging function too as suggested. Look forward to it! Thanks for putting this together and releasing it to the community! 🙂

You nailed it. That encapsulated exactly my reason for the inquiry . Well said Jobo Thank you .. 

• Like 1

Hi mikey74.  Found a conflict, with Field of War ... pinned causes the dynamic menu to not pop up.  Not sure why.

I stripped out all new addons and when pinned was put back in the menu failed to load.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kremator said:

Hi mikey74.  Found a conflict, with Field of War ... pinned causes the dynamic menu to not pop up.  Not sure why.

I stripped out all new addons and when pinned was put back in the menu failed to load.

OK I'll look into this. Could be I need longer pauses. I'll see what I can do. Thanks Kremator. For now till I figure it out I created and incompatibility list.

Out of curiosity, was there combat going on at the time of the menu activation? If that's the case. I may not be able to fix that without breaking Pinned.

Hi mikey74.  No combat.  At the start of the mission  there is normally a splashscreen for the mission - doesn't last too long, but with Pinned active it doesn't initialise.

If i didn't like Pinned I wouldn't be bothered ... but I do like it 😉

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kremator said:

Hi mikey74.  No combat.  At the start of the mission  there is normally a splashscreen for the mission - doesn't last too long, but with Pinned active it doesn't initialise.

lol I know 😉 I may have to move the script back to SQF. Which will delay the AI's reaction times. I'm not liking that at all 😜 lol It may be tonight may be a few weeks. I really don't want to go back to the SQF. lol I didn't like the reaction compared to the fsm. 😕 but sigh. It may have to be as I want to add more mods to compliment this one. Basically try to bring back FOA piece by piece making it a collection rather than a whole mod. This way fans can pick and choose which parts they like and use it with other AI mods. Still probably not very possible. BUT to be honest I was scared at 1st Pinned wouldn't be possible. So far the only ones incompatible is FOW and possibly Vcom. 

13 hours ago, kremator said:

Here is an SQF version if someone wouldn't mind testing with FOW for me. It'd be appreciated. 🙂 Please let me know if its compatible and if you think the hit the deck and get back up as well as with the fsm. Thanks 🙂

• Like 1

Now that I know, the previous guy had another AI mod that was removed.
I think that mod is great but it is not updated anymore.
Thankfully there is this mod instead, thanks!

On 12/2/2021 at 12:55 PM, ducphuli said:

Now that I know, the previous guy had another AI mod that was removed.
I think that mod is great but it is not updated anymore.
Thankfully there is this mod instead, thanks!

Which mod are you referring to? Which guy? 🙂 I'm glad you like this one. 🙂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ducphuli said:

Hi mod "AiSS - Feat of Arms" 

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=903355482

I found them on Youtube and Steam.
But there are no new ones so I just use "Pinned Down", Thank Update.

Yeh AISS got to much to handle when it broke with every new Arma 3 update. After that and few abusive and insulting remarks I scrapped it. Do to the negative feed back I've gotten sense the release of PINNED, this will most likely be the only released mod I do. All the other things I'm working on I'm just going to keep to myself to avoid the headache. I do this for fun but when I get comments that its useless,  terrible, and other derogatory statements for a FREE mod. It really gets to me and makes it no fun. Which sucks because I love it when others enjoy and even learn from what I've created for them for FREE. SIGH but these are the times we live in and I really don't want to much to do with it anymore.

BTW thanks for the positive feed back. If I do other mods it will be because of good people like you. Who give constructive feedback positive or negative. Its the non constructive criticism that I've received that makes it hard to continue modding. I welcome criticism that challenges me to make my mod better.  Its the abusive ones like: your useless, your mod sucks, or this is even more useless than the other arma mods I cant take. Granted those are way fewer than the positive. I mean I have over 2000 subs on steam which is why I wont discontinue this mod. Despite the negative messages on steam messenger and the one on Youtube. I will not dignify those with a response and will promptly delete or have them deleted. 

Just wish people who may not like other peoples mods. Just pass them by if you don't like them at all. I'm not saying if you have constructive criticism keep it to your self. I'm sure other modders agree with me. We like and welcome those. BUT please If you don't have something helpful or constructive to say please move on and leave us alone. We do not make money off these mods. Do you see petrean or any other donating links on my mods?!?!? NO! I do or did this because I enjoyed it. 

I'm sorry @ducphuli that I used my response to your comment to vent. This by no means was directed at you. You're one of the good people who keep us making mods. Its just those few that get to some of us. 😞 Anyways thanks for your comment, and hopefully being ok with my vent on my reply to you. 🙂 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mikey74 said:

Yeh AISS got to much to handle when it broke with every new Arma 3 update. After that and few abusive and insulting remarks I scrapped it. Do to the negative feed back I've gotten sense the release of PINNED, this will most likely be the only released mod I do. All the other things I'm working on I'm just going to keep to myself to avoid the headache. I do this for fun but when I get comments that its useless,  terrible, and other derogatory statements for a FREE mod. It really gets to me and makes it no fun. Which sucks because I love it when others enjoy and even learn from what I've created for them for FREE. SIGH but these are the times we live in and I really don't want to much to do with it anymore.

BTW thanks for the positive feed back. If I do other mods it will be because of good people like you. Who give constructive feedback positive or negative. Its the non constructive criticism that I've received that makes it hard to continue modding. I welcome criticism that challenges me to make my mod better.  Its the abusive ones like: your useless, your mod sucks, or this is even more useless than the other arma mods I cant take. Granted those are way fewer than the positive. I mean I have over 2000 subs on steam which is why I wont discontinue this mod. Despite the negative messages on steam messenger and the one on Youtube. I will not dignify those with a response and will promptly delete or have them deleted. 

Just wish people who may not like other peoples mods. Just pass them by if you don't like them at all. I'm not saying if you have constructive criticism keep it to your self. I'm sure other modders agree with me. We like and welcome those. BUT please If you don't have something helpful or constructive to say please move on and leave us alone. We do not make money off these mods. Do you see petrean or any other donating links on my mods?!?!? NO! I do or did this because I enjoyed it. 

I'm sorry @ducphuli that I used my response to your comment to vent. This by no means was directed at you. You're one of the good people who keep us making mods. Its just those few that get to some of us. 😞 Anyways thanks for your comment, and hopefully being ok with my vent on my reply to you. 🙂 

I know your feeling.
Thank you for helping Arma 3 add must-have features.
Your mods should always be in my mod collection.
Wish you good work and good health. 😉

• Like 1