[VW]Wrath

2.06 Update messing with TrackIR5.

Hi all,

I've been playing a test session with my crew tonight and those of us using TrackIR5 and one member with another piece of similar equipment have all noticed that our head tracking in game has gone somewhat haywire. I've always used a general profile for vehicles, aircraft and infantry with no issues whatsoever but as of tonight and the 2.06 update I've noticed that my head tracking is now so sensitive that I can twist my head around more than 360 if I look to one side. My initial thought was to try turning down the curves and adjusting the sensitivity but this causes head tracking to become incredibly slow and heavy when flying helicopters. At the moment I'm fiddling with curves to try and find a new balance but it's proving very difficult as in game it wants to behave in two different ways.

Is anybody else seeing the same thing?

Confirmed.

As far as I can figure out, the problem is NOT with TrackIR, so I wouldn't mess with it just yet. The problem seems to be in Arma and how it figures head movement with trackir, since there is huge difference in movement when compared to on foot and in any vehicle. In vehicles movement is like in the previous 2.04 build but on foot your head moves 360 degrees to any direction (left, right, up and down). I suspect it has something to do with the announcement that head movement is "Fixed: TrackIR head rotation not synchronizing over multiplayer", but that's just a guess.

• Like 1

Thank you for confirming. I've made a different profile to play around with so hopefully at sone point things will return to normal.

3 hours ago, [VW]Wrath said:

hopefully at sone point things will return to normal

Nothing will happen if it isn't brought to the attention of the devs, so start a ticket: https://feedback.bistudio.com/

• Like 1

Thank you for reporting the issue, We have looked into it and it seems to be fixed on Profiling Branch v1.
It would help us a lot if anyone with the issue could confirm.

Confirmed, well with a small caveat. I checked it and the infantry problem is gone, but I didn't check everything, like diving etc.

Edit. And I can also confirm what threadstarter [VW]Wrath noticed. With weapon deployed head does not turn but moves when using TrackIR.

And forgive me, but I need to vent a little.

You could have let us know what kind of size the profiling branch was (ballpark). Thankfully it was only a few hundred MB, instead of, well half a game but it would have been nice to know beforehand. And it seems that you can join most servers from profiling branch, at least the official servers had the green dots next to them in browser.

And the second thing. Why is it still impossible to move your head side to side in american tanks, at least with trackIR. (Main battle tanks and artillery pieces). In every other vehicle it's possible, even in panther IFV which has the same hull design as the tanks and even in csat tanks (Angaras?) which you can't even to see out of. It would make a difference in situational awareness so why not bring that back. It's possible to tilt your head so why take away the one axis that would be most helpful.

Edited by Akibuua-FIN-
new information

Seems to be fixed now. Unless there is something new I didn't think to check. Now waiting on main branch hot fix. That's still fast work.

And the tank thing is probably too minor to care about.

Seems fixed in latest Dev build. Wonder if we have to wait until next full update or if they will push a hotfix?

Fixed: TrackIR head movement

If you don't want to wait until next patch arrives check Citadels post below...

• Like 1

Sorta of off topic but still deals with TrackIR 5 itself, i dont use it for Arma 3 i have before but only flying, but i mainly use it

in IL-2, anyways any of you guys using the trackpro clip not the hat clip find it to be a flimsy piece of feeble junk?

I attach this thing to my headset, i've had it for about a year now, and im lucky i haven't thrown this piece of plastic shiznit across the room yet :smash:

The clip itself to attach it to like the metal arm of my headset is such a hit or miss, the clip itself barely locks, and when it does i

got to be careful not to mess with it, then you got the stupid joint that the antenna part connects too, recently that seemed to just fall off

or disconnect rather when i just barely adjusted the clip wtf!

They need to redesign this piece of garbage!

Anyone have similar issues and have found ways to reinforce or better use and or attach the clip?

This is what im talking about  ---> https://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/images/trackclip-pro@2x.png

You must have gotten a dud @Gunter Severloh. Mine has never had any problems, and my kids use the headset too. I'm onto my third headset since getting the clip but the clip still goes strong. The only problem I've ever had was if I've left the blinds open behind me and the sunlight messes up the tracking. Have you asked NaturalPoint about a replacement?

I've used the headset piece for 8 years @Gunter Severloh, also mainly for flying, and had to replace twice.  Once it was the clip part of the clip-on that failed, the other time it was the hinge part of the clip-on that failed, both times (I admit) it resulted from rough handling.  Once from dropping the headset, the clip broke; once from grabbing the lower IR extension instead of the mic (which pivots up and down), and that made the hinge fail rather than breaking the IR extender.  I used duct tape until the replacements arrived. The last time I also got an extra one to have on hand, anticipating it could happen again.

It works fine and I'm content, but I've found the contentment with it really depends on the headset being used.  There are five headsets around our house, on two of them it fits fine, two of them it won't fit at all because the braces are too large for the clip and the slide adjusters are far too high on the head, and one (the headset I use) it has to be manipulated a bit to fit secure over the brace, because the slide is too high on the head, but this leaves stress on the clip and hinge, thus I have to anticipate another potential failure in the future.  I expect that if or when I do replace this headset, I should take the TrackIR clip with me to make sure the setup I get is one that the clip will fit onto properly without the IR extender getting confused for a mic.

The alternative is wearing a hat (the hat clip you mentioned), but not all are inclined to wear a hat with headphones.  I have to use headphones, so sound doesn't disturb others in the house, thus I stick with the headset clip, though I have had frustration when it fails.  But I also consider the particular headset I use results in the high tension on it, and that the TrackIR manufacturer can't anticipate for every style of headset the headset manufacturers are going to make.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beno_83au said:

You must have gotten a dud @Gunter Severloh.

Maybe but i had it for a year already and then in the past couple weeks as i tried to attach it the joint part of the antenna disconnected

so idk if somehow i grabbed it wrong without knowing it or what, either way it still stays together but its just weak.

The part where it clips to your headset and this is the exact headset i use

https://pisces.bbystatic.com/image2/BestBuy_US/images/products/4505/4505300_sd.jpg

i clip the trackIR proclip to the red metal part just above where it curves there as you can extend the headset to adjust it for your head

when i try to put it on the metal is a bit sorta of thin so i guess that may not help, either way locking the clip is a hit or a miss, i'll still get it but

it should take you 1 time to do it, not have to fiddle with it because the attaching clip parts arent big enough.

1 hour ago, beno_83au said:

Have you asked NaturalPoint about a replacement?

No, i dont think its faulty like it fell apart maybe me from handling it wrong, imo its just a poor design

dont think they would replace it for free, everything else works fine its just that part, was using it this morning but ended up taking it off

my headset, think i will just tape the joint and be done with it.

52 minutes ago, opusfmspol said:

I've used the headset piece for 8 years

Nice! Way to get your monies worth!

3 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

i clip the trackIR proclip to the red metal part just above where it curves there as you can extend the headset to adjust it for your head

when i try to put it on the metal is a bit sorta of thin so i guess that may not help

Ahhh right, I have a similar headset - https://cdn.mwave.com.au/images/400/AB88381.jpg - and clip onto it just above the ear piece where it finishes curving. The fit is snug, and I do leave it there unless I'm straightening out cables or whatever.

I did read somewhere ages back though when I was looking at buying that the clip mount is more accurate than the hat mount (don't quote me), and like mentioned above wearing a hat witch headphones might not work for you. It's always a pain when kit doesn't work the way it should!!

10 hours ago, beno_83au said:

when I was looking at buying that the clip mount is more accurate than the hat mount

I think it might be because the hat mount is going off of a reflected sticker on the clip, whereas

the clip mount is actually directly connected eye piece that just needs to be read by the reader on your desk.

Ideally i think its better imo to have that accuracy, as for the clip part i guess if you dont f*ck with it when you attach it

it wont break or fall apart, at least not til you get shot down 😄

• Haha 2