Sign in to follow this  
islo

FiredMan EH and the camera

Hello people,

Pretty new to all this scripting stuff, so my questions will probably betray my lack of knowledge, although hopefully not so as to put you guys off to providing some answers (which I bet you have!).

I am interested in keeping track of the number of rounds fired by players during multiplayer missions (for fun!), and for that purpose there is the FiredMan Event Handler.

However, per

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3:_Event_Handlers#FiredMan

there is a note on the behavior of this EH in multiplayer:

"When added to a remote unit or vehicle, this EH will only fire if said entity is within range of the camera. That range is determined by the fired ammo's highest visibleFire and audibleFire config value. In case of units, muzzle attachment coefficients are applied too."

My questions are now:

1. Which camera is referred to? The camera as created using e.g. camCreate? Or the Curator camera? Or Splendid Camera?

2. The players will generally move around (as a group mostly, although there may be one or two loners!) the map quite a lot. Is there a way to ensure that the camera follows the players so that the players firing their weapon are always within the range of the camera?

Hopefully someone knows! Thanks!

On 10/5/2021 at 12:28 PM, islo said:

My questions are now:

1. Which camera is referred to? The camera as created using e.g. camCreate? Or the Curator camera? Or Splendid Camera?

2. The players will generally move around (as a group mostly, although there may be one or two loners!) the map quite a lot. Is there a way to ensure that the camera follows the players so that the players firing their weapon are always within the range of the camera?

1. Most likely it refers to the current active camera of the local client to where the eventhandler is added. Not sure how it acts on a dedicated server which I presume has no camera. Note the effect is only for remote objects.

2. Since you are looking to track shots fired then you don't need to worry too much about the camera. Instead add the eventhandler to the player and count shots on that player's client. Depending on how and when you want to present the result you can either send it to the server or keep it on the client. I wouldn't go sending a per shot update to the server though, just to save on network performance.