Sign in to follow this  
AZCoder

AZCoder Radiation Zones

AZCoder Radiation Zones

X2d9e1Be_o.jpg

RkW8xQZn_o.jpg

Download: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2591869810

This is a mission-maker addon allowing you to place radiation zone modules on a map. As with any tool added to Steam, the quickest way to find it is to right click on it in Arma 3 Launcher and "Open Folder" to bring it up. A simple example mission is included.

AZC_Radition was written for SP missions. I don't know a lot about MP/COOP scripting. If you do test this in coop, let me know if it works. While this mod was written so that it will cause radiation damage to any AI in the danger zone, it only works when the player is within double the outer range of the radiation. The reason for this is partly performance, and partly to keep AI from dying off in an area the player has not visited yet.

REQUIRES:
- CBA (for custom keybinding and extended event handlers)

FEATURES:
- radioactivity calculated in milliSieverts, based on the fact that 4000 mSv is super lethal and anything over 800 mSv is going to harm any character on the map ... in reality just 1 mSv can potentially cause long term health damage, but in the scope of a mission that won't do anything

- Geiger counter device with working display (auto appears when needed, vanishes when not)
- AI and the player can get sick from radiation with simulated vomiting effects
- AI will not stupidly stand in heavy radiation and will retreat from the area if they can (sometimes they will heal themselves first and still die)
- written to simulate radiation zones around Chernobyl, using inverse square law distance so the power drops off radically from the source
- Fallout flag which allows for radiation over a large area by reducing the rad output, so there is not much dropoff away from the source
- vehicles cut exposure in half (yes it's a poor man's way of calculating exposure so even riding a bicycle will help you survive)
- vomit effect is based on the water leak particle effects by ALIAS, he gets full credit, I only adjusted position, color, and sound
- vehicles will take damage at a reduced rate up to 80% max damage (for simplicity it does damage to the vehicle as a whole)
- Geiger noise can be shut off with customizable shortcut (Shift-Z by default)

HOW TO USE:
1) F5 -> Environment -> Radiation Zone, place where you want the source of radiation
1a) set Radiation Level in milliSieverts
1b) Check Fallout if you want radiation spread over a large area. This is intended for nuclear fallout.
1c) Check Water Only if you only want radiation to affect water (such as an underground water tunnel)
1d) Contained Radius sets the distance for radiation so that you can confine it to a specific area. This is intended to simulate contaminated dust or water and the mSv of radiation specified in 1a will be equally distributed in this region. Works well in conjuction with 1c. Note that this param is incompatible with 1b) Fallout and will disable that in the script.
1e) Square Radius is true/false flag, simply tells the script to generate a square trigger instead of a circle. Should only be used if 1d is set, as it is intended to simulate a room area.
1f) zRadius sets the "c" value on the trigger (vertical height) so that you can limit how far upward the radiation zone reaches. Might be useful in certain interior rooms or underground. Please note that this value is very experimental and often it seems to shrink the actual trigger size.

- OR -

2) You want to set radiation on specific object placed on the map instead of using the module
2a) edit the map object and place this in the INIT box:
[AZC_KEYS,250,false,true,10,true,5] spawn AZC_fnc_SetRadiationZone;
Params: contaminated object, mSv, fallout flag, water only flag, contaminated radius, square flag, vertical height

As a side note, radiation under 400 mSv will cause the basic warning sound on the Geiger Counter. 400-800 mSv is a stage 2 warning. 800+ mSv gives the highest stage 3 alert.

HOW TO CONFIGURE SHORTCUT KEY:
1) Preview mission
2) Esc -> Options -> Controls -> Dialog box appears. Near the bottom is Configure Addons.
3) Configure Addons -> "AZC Geiger Sound" in the ADDON dropdown -> change the binding -> OK

While you can overlap radiation zones, it is best to avoid doing so. It can be confusing for the player and might have unforseen side effects. In testing it seems to work ok, but I will not support problems caused by it. You may be asking, how do I know if they overlap? Only method I use is to walk to each radiation point and make sure the geiger reading falls off before entering the next zone.

CBRN gear will provide protection against radiation based on facemask and suit. If you wear just one or the other, only some protection is provided because:
a) no mask, you are breathing in contaminated particles
b) no suit, your skin is being bombarded by gamma radiation

If you wear just a mask (or suit) then damage is reduced to 10%. If you wear both (full protection) then damage is reduced to 1%. It is impossible to be fully immune to gamma radiation but full protection will allow for extended forrays into heavily radiated zones before getting sick.

Also, if wearing neither mask or suit, then damage starts at 400mSv. The suit and mask combined provide protection up to 800mSv, plus the 1% multiplier on final damage.

Currently this addon recognizes any face mask with any of these substrings within it:
"AirPurifyingRespirator","RegulatorMask","Gas_mask","JSHK_contam_mask"

Also any outfit with any of these substrings:
"CBRN_Suit","JSHK_contam_suit"

For example, PMK's PMK_1_Gas_mask_B1_F will be recognized as face protection, in addition to all JSHK suits, and all Contact DLC related protective gear.

Historical Radiation Levels
- Inside the containment dome of 3-Mile Island was around 100 Sv during the 1979 accident. 4 Sv is fatal.
- Chernobyl reactor core #4 in 1986 measured around 300 Sv/hr (3 times 3-Mile Island).
- Hiroshima may have had around 10 Sv within a mile of the blast center, that's 10,000 mSv. While not as high as 3-Mile Island or Chernobyl, it was spread over a large area.

Special Thanks
- Alias for his water effects scripts and giving the OK to make vomit from it.
- Vomit sound is from freesoung.org -> 246308__vikuserro__vomiting

Thanks to @Flanky for testing.

The geiger display comes in two pieces and was tested successfully at 1680 16:10, 1920 and 2560 resolutions (the latter two at 16:9).

DISCLAIMER / LICENSE:
I am not responsible for any damage caused by this addon. While the radiation is simulated, it may cause you to sit too close to your monitor. Please game responsibly. 

This is licensed under the APL-SA license. Feel free to share it, use it in your missions, whatever. I just want credit as the creator if you do.

• Like 6

This has been updated with a suggestion from Steam user "Denis" who said to try using vehicle mass to reduce radiation exposure. Previously if you were in a vehicle, I was arbitrarily cutting milliSevierts in half. This update changed it to a formula using natural log applied to the square root of vehicle mass. Now a bicyle will offer no useful protection, while an M1A2 will make you laugh at radiation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Updated with new features to support the upcoming release of Shadow Fall v2.0. I needed to simulate radiation in underground areas that contain water.

- water flag, when set true, you must be touching the water to receive the effects of radiation

- contained radius, set this in meters to define an area with equally distributed radiation meant to simulate radioactive dust in a room, and it also works well with the water flag

- square flag, when true this simply sets the trigger to be a square shape instead of a circle, intended for use with "contained radius" as most rooms are square shape (sorry no rectangles, it was far too complex)

- zRadius, I almost didn't include this because it is wonky at best, but it sets the "c" param of the trigger area which in turn seems to distort the size of the a/b params, so use at your own risk

• Like 3