Hi everyone,

I'm trying to make my AI-flown helicopter to fly in a straight line. I've scoured some forums and some suggested the use the command disableAI "PATHPLAN". However, not only that the "PATHPLAN" feature is not listed on the arma scripting wiki's entry for disableAI (https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/disableAI). It also doesn't seem to work in-game. The only official mention of the "PATHPLAN" feature is on another wiki on VBS scripting reference which also made by BI (https://sqf.bisimulations.com/display/SQF/disableAI). 

The question is, why is the command not working? Is it obsolete/deprecated? If so, is there any other alternative to force the AI pilot to fly in a straight line without using unnecessary pathfinding?

Hello,
1 - DisableAi "pathplan" is for VBS, not Arma. Use "path". that works.

2 - forget "path" for a move. The helo pilot will fly without combat mode if you set the behavior for whole crew group as "SAFE" ("careless" is definitive), then the disableAI "autocombat" for le pilot only. This way the gunners can react to combat situation.

10 hours ago, pierremgi said:

Hello,
DisableAi "pathplan" is for VBS, not Arma. Use "path". that works.
The helo pilot will fly without combat mode if you set the behavior for whole crew group as "SAFE" ("careless" is definitive), then the disableAI "autocombat" for le pilot only. This way the gunners can react to combat situation.

Thank you for the suggestion, unfortunately I've tried all sorts of behavior scripting using setUnitCombatMode and setBehaviour and none of them worked. I'm making a custom map where there's a rather big lake in the middle of the map and for some reason the AI-piloted helicopters keep trying to avoid flying over the lake and and instead make really long detours around the lake.

Also disableAI "PATH" does not only disable pathfinding but it renders the AI unable to move entirely as well, so that's not what I'm looking for.

The only way I can get them to fly straight across the lake is if I was on the other side of the lake and issued a regroup command, then they'll fly straight. I recall that the regroup command can sometimes disable AI pathfinding on the ground (and sometimes make them go through walls) just to get your AI squadmates to rejoin you as quick as possible, hence I'm looking for the dedicated command to disable pathfinding and make the AI go straight like when you order your AI squadmates to regroup.

19 hours ago, ministuff said:

I'm trying to make my AI-flown helicopter to fly in a straight line.

Hello ministuff, idk if this can help but there is also this thread but its more specific to planes, maybe it can help

with helicopters

In the future if it helps, see my AI Compilation list, its a good reference to fall back to before you create a thread

as what you might be asking for help for may have been solved or done before, just a thought, cheers!

• Thanks 1

My answer was in two part. Corrected.

Without any combat ambiance, a simple waypoint (or move order) shouldn't be a problem for your helo. Imho, not a path question as you can fly, straight, "out of" any map usually.

Perhaps, more a "fake" obstacle: Do you have a "geography" (bottom, coordinates) for this lake? What if you order the helo to reach the center of the lake? 

NOTE: The BI "regroup" order is broken for a while, imho. Devs thought clever to give some AI units a kind of "sub-leadership". The idea is not bad, the result is just ridiculous. If you split your group into 2 (or more) parts on different map locations, the units will try to regroup on "sub-leader" before reaching the ordered position. That could make sense for close units...  that's a nightmare when AIs u-turns for nuts! (they don't even wait!).

And I'm not referring to Arma vanilla broken feature with two players in the same group! (on a simple squad of 8, play in MP session: leader + marksman, then leader gives a simple move order... AIs follow marksman!)

• Thanks 1