Kemal Reis

ARMA still alive?

Sorry guys, been gone for a few years.  Traveling about.   Is the game still going strong?  If so, what servers?  I'm looking forward to rejoining the fray!

I... I don't know what to say..

There was a glitch in the ARMA software... it started broadcasting bright flashes in multiplayer that would envelop the entire screen. It somehow resonated with some strange frequency in the brain stem, almost immediately shutting down the entire nervous system. Did it affect players? Yes! All the Arma players are gone.. yes gone. What do you want me to say? They are DEAD!!!

I am one of the few to survive because all my hours in Arma are almost exclusively spent tinkering in the editor and not in multiplayer.. I don't know what you came here looking for, but it is no longer here.. Only faint memories. If you can't resist the game and must have a try with the servers: At least wear one of those weird CSAT helmets with the eye pieces. They seem to block the flashes..

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Jokes aside.. I think there are enough communities and players active still, but they are just not here.. Perhaps on discord?

Well, as you can imagine, an 8 year old game, on a 20 year old game engine, the Arma community isn't nearly as active as it once was.

With that said, yes, there are still groups that are active. Also, if you like the Vietnam theme, there is a Vietnam DLC that has a popular multiplayer game mode called, Mike Force. I believe the Mike Force servers still have active players on them. 

Run the ARMA 3 Launcher and sort by players, descending order. You will see a LOT of online players. Yes, ARMA 3 is still alive with enough to keep everyone a tad happy until ARMA 4!

• Like 1

I hope its still going. Otherwise my time spent tinkering with weapons has been for naught...:shoot:

The Australian communities have really been declining for quite a while now, I expect Australian servers to probably start to complelety fade away by the end of this year.

39 minutes ago, JarrodsC said:

The Australian communities have really been declining for quite a while now, I expect Australian servers to probably start to complelety fade away by the end of this year.

Out of curiosity, what kind of ping you're looking at on Asian or even western US servers?

5 hours ago, Janez said:

Out of curiosity, what kind of ping you're looking at on Asian or even western US servers?

Can't speak for JarrodsC but the lowest I've managed is 80-90 ms for some servers based in Japan, Taiwan and Mainland China. Anywhere else is usually +200 ms which is less than desirable to say the least...assuming you weren't autokicked for exceeding the 250 ping limit.

US West servers are a bit of a hit and miss. You can get lucky with some servers giving you a generous 70 ms but the average hovers around 100-165 ms. Needless to say, you can forget about Europe and US East entirely (+300 ms).

• Thanks 1

On 8/25/2021 at 8:57 AM, joostsidy said:

Jokes aside.. I think there are enough communities and players active still, but they are just not here.. Perhaps on discord?

Seems the OP might have taken you serious as hes hasn't been on since his last post before yours, lol

Lots of people playing https://steamcharts.com/app/107410

but not everything in this game is for MP, theres more SP aspects then MP in Arma.

Some of your Arma masters that dabble in the Arma code occult are the ones that make it possible for all those MP fans to even play,

unless your a half breed yourself and build and play. 😄

Theres something for everyone in Arma lets not narrow it down to MP only.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

but not everything in this game is for MP, theres more SP aspects then MP in Arma.

[...]

Not to mention Buldozer counts as "running" ArmA3, so maybe those player figures are slightly skewed (though not by much because I doubt everyone was running Buldozer at once - though I was one of those 22,000+ in the last 24hrs :D).

On 8/28/2021 at 8:51 AM, Gunter Severloh said:

Seems the OP might have taken you serious as hes hasn't been on since his last post before yours, lol

Some of your Arma masters that dabble in the Arma code occult are the ones that make it possible for all those MP fans to even play,

unless your a half breed yourself and build and play. 😄

Theres something for everyone in Arma lets not narrow it down to MP only.

I'm still here. Hit SP for a bit to at least enjoy the game.  Unfortunately A3 is really the only completely "realistic" MilSim out there.  I picked up the Vietnam DLC and a few others. Nice to see players sustaining what's left of the community. I'll keep searching for server with Opfor / Blufor , but maybe that's a false hope.   

• Like 2

I played a lot of arma3. was one of my favourite games. Even now it seems the community is going online in some respects but the BIS the company itself seems to have lost heart with what made arma 3 great and have abandoned active development and just gone into maintenance mode. And they now  simply use commodisised community content to try generate incremental revenue/news.

Such a pity imo, especially as now the appetite for more milsim games and challenges looks like to be bigger money generater than before,  but i did enjoy the game for a good long time.

On 8/28/2021 at 8:51 AM, Gunter Severloh said:

...but not everything in this game is for MP, theres more SP aspects then MP in Arma.

Don't forget, many play in MP mode solo, like me running ARMA via LAN; the added FPS is typically the largest benefit from doing so.  I still use AI squad in MP.

But yea, ARMA 3 and it's community is still very strong considering the above points such as age.  However, ARMA 3, like a fine wine, seems to age very very well.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Don't forget, many play in MP mode solo, like me running ARMA via LAN;

Yup, i do it myself, when i say singleplayer i mean playing by yourself, how you play dont matter, its that your

playing the campaign, a campaign, a scenario you downloaded, or made, messing around or working in the editor, or outside the game

scripting, coding, building models, creating terrains, mods, ect,. or doing things like i have done compiling information for the community

thats what i mean by singleplayer.

20 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

[...] when i say singleplayer i mean playing by yourself [...]

Not to be confused with "playing with yourself" which is something completely different 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2