Sign in to follow this  
munger

Bmp3 beta 0.6 released

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AKM74 @ Feb. 10 2003,19:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That reminds me that russians has best technologies worldwide :]<span id='postcolor'>

I can give you other sample of this technology :-)

Simple $3 metal fence, covered armor 1 meter above the turret, make it almost immune to any $30000 modern cumulative RPG or LOW hit.

Was first used in second Chechen war, which brings armors losses in city fight literally to 0. :-)

Experience = best military tehnology.<span id='postcolor'>

Actually I believe it was either the Israelies during the Yon Kippur war or the U.S. military during the Vietnam War that discovered that chain link fence material or wire mesh short-circuited the piezo fuzes on most RPG-7 warheads. However it doesn't work against all AT missiles and rockets. Only those with similar fuzes as RPG-7s. Plus plenty of Russian armored vehicles were still destroyed by RPG's during the Chechnyan war.... mostly from rear and top attacks from what I understand. However I agree that Russian military hardware is often very unique with very creative designs.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ Feb. 11 2003,03:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">fade6.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

I've never been able to figure out where they actually planned to put the bombs on that thing smile.gif

hey, didn't that plane get blown up because the F5 got sucked into its engine?

And as for the BMP-3 ... it seems a far too effective against helos ... its gun is very, very accurate for guys on 50 percent skill ... put two BMP-3s against 3 Apaches or Comanches and see what I'm saying.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sgt. Milkman @ Feb. 11 2003,07:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">well im glad someone made a BMP3 in .zip form. AKM74's bmp3 is in .rar, whatever that is...<span id='postcolor'>

Two different things - mailman has made a BMP-3, AKM74 has made a BMD-3 wink.gif

Any screenshots fellers?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sgt. Milkman @ Feb. 11 2003,12:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hey, didn't that plane get blown up because the F5 got sucked into its engine?<span id='postcolor'>

Hehe I remember that (not first hand, I'm not that old) - twas an F-104, that was sucked in by the vortex created by the odd angle of the outer wings - it was flung upside down and crashed into the Valkyrie's tail and wing...

I suspect the Valkyrie got canned for the simple two reasons 1) the B52 still rocks and 2) Stealth Bombers came along.

Anywho I shall add this cheeky little tank to my bulging addons folder and see how it runs.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mr. Snrub @ Feb. 11 2003,05:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sgt. Milkman @ Feb. 11 2003,07:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">well im glad someone made a BMP3 in .zip form. AKM74's bmp3 is in .rar, whatever that is...<span id='postcolor'>

Two different things - mailman has made a BMP-3, AKM74 has made a BMD-3  wink.gif

Any screenshots fellers?<span id='postcolor'>

BMP3_3.jpg

BMP3.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Actually I believe it was either the Israelies during the Yon Kippur war or the U.S. military during the Vietnam War that discovered that chain link fence material or wire mesh short-circuited the piezo fuzes on most RPG-7 warheads.<span id='postcolor'>

Yon Kippur war actually "desert war". It has nothing to do with city and street fighting. Same apply to Vietnam War. I don't think they discovered any sort of protection for top part of the tanks. No one will manage to hit them from 10 floors building in the desert :-) or in the jungle.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> However it doesn't work against all AT missiles and rockets.  Only those with similar fuzes as RPG-7s.<span id='postcolor'>

According to some Chechen sources, they need from 7 to 12 RPG7 hit do disable T80 or T90.  I don’t think someone will manage to do it from rear or back without being spotted after maximum third shot. I’m talking about third generations or RPG or LAW (put your name here) not old good RPG7.

That’s why they used this fence trick. To protect turret and top of the vehicle.

But again, it only protect vehicle from above and like you sad before not against all type of ATG. I’m 100% agree with it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">  Plus plenty of Russian armored vehicles were still destroyed by RPG's during the Chechnyan war.... mostly from rear and top attacks from what I understand. <span id='postcolor'>

I read somewhere that 90% of the armor was destroyed by radio activated mines, at least in second war. Most of this vehicles cargo tracks and light armored APC, like BTR 70-80.

I don't think you should underestimate the RPG-7 or the chechen rebels.

RPG-7

A good site about the RPG-7, and it has some interesting info about how the chechens used it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DigitalCenturion @ Feb. 11 2003,14:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't think you should underestimate the RPG-7 or the chechen rebels.

RPG-7

A good site about the RPG-7, and it has some interesting info about how the chechens used it.<span id='postcolor'>

Yup. The "Infantry" is a very reputable and extremely good military journal. Every once in awhile I check out the lastest issue at my local university library and it always has excellent information on everything dealing with infantry tactics and leadership.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't think you should underestimate the RPG-7 or the chechen rebels.<span id='postcolor'>

I don’t think somewhere in my posts I underestimate them. 90% of Chechen was ex Russian solders and trained in USSR army. And I know what they capable for. Even first Chechen president Dudaev was ex Russian General (and pilot who was very effective in carpet bombing of Afghanistan 1981-1984.) Current president Mashadov is ex colonel of USSR army.

In first Groznyy assault (first Chechen war) Russian lost 70 armor units in single !!! day. Because some General did think they can liberate fortress city with over 50000 heavy armed defenders with only 900 unexperienced solders.

Now take for example second assault on the same city, year 2000. Not even single tank was lost. Why? Are Chechen short on RPG or they can’t fight back anymore?

Use armor in the city with PROPER infantry support make tactics described in your link useless. And that exactly what happen.

The only way to stop the armor now, shot in less armored part (which is place behind the turret) from top floors from surrounded buildings.

There we go back to my first post…

I think we are little of topic here guys. (Yes, yes, I know, I was one who start it) let go back to the topic before …..

Well I took it for a spin and it rocks. I like that the heavy armoured variant sinks like a rock and the light version is amphibious, also I quite like the colour scheme, it goes well with Sigma's T-90.

It's cool to have an IFV that can deliver troops to the combat area without getting obliterated as soon as the first enemy sees it. It's not too tough to destroy, but the fact that it can survive one hit gives the crew and passengers a chance to dive out before the next rocket frags the vehicle.

Guest ####

If the isrealis invented the idea with the chain link fence it was probebly during the operations into Lebanon. Most of the bitter fighting took place in urban areas.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's cool to have an IFV that can deliver troops to the combat area without getting obliterated as soon as the first enemy sees it. <span id='postcolor'>

Then it got to much armour..

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bergmania @ Feb. 11 2003,18:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's cool to have an IFV that can deliver troops to the combat area without getting obliterated as soon as the first enemy sees it. <span id='postcolor'>

Then it got to much armour..<span id='postcolor'>

I wouldn't say too much. It takes one hit and just about keeps going, a second blows it up. I'd say that's about right.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ludovico Technique @ Feb. 11 2003,18:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif4--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bergmania @ Feb. 11 2003,18wow.gif4)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's cool to have an IFV that can deliver troops to the combat area without getting obliterated as soon as the first enemy sees it. <span id='postcolor'>

Then it got to much armour..<span id='postcolor'>

I wouldn't say too much. It takes one hit and just about keeps going, a second blows it up. I'd say that's about right.<span id='postcolor'>

I agree. I just tried this addon out and overall I think it's fantastic. The ERA version like you said is just about right and I did not find it too strong at all. This is perfect for very intense assault missions where the BMP's need to survive at least one hit so that the infantry has a chance of moving into position to protect it from RPG gunners.

But for normal missions the regular BMP3 that comes in the addon I think is very normal. The onlys bug are the smoke grenade launcher that as most people noted, didn't do anything and also if you stick an eighth or ninth infantryman in the cargo he's sitting above the turret and is invisible. It would be nice to be able to stick extra troops on the top of the BMP3 like the BTR-70 addon. Also the 100mm cannon is perhaps a little bit too powerful.

But other then that the addon seemed to work fairly well and the textures are fairly good. I really love this addon and I think it makes a nice complimentary addon to AK74's BMD-3 which I use for airborne forces and Spetsnaz.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Hmmm I had to delete this addon. When ever you tried to shoot with the "Fixed" AKS74 OFP would freeze.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sgt. Milkman @ Feb. 12 2003,04:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmmm I had to delete this addon. When ever you tried to shoot with the "Fixed" AKS74 OFP would freeze.<span id='postcolor'>

Never happened to me

See, here's the problem with mesh armor -it don't do diddly against bombs dropped from 20,000 feet and I doubt it can resist a shell from another tank. That said, in CQB like Grozny, where OPFOR lacks armored support, it's probably pretty useful.

Is it possible to immobilize a tank with an RPG round to the tracks? How about mines?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PFC_Mike @ Feb. 12 2003,14:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is it possible to immobilize a tank with an RPG round to the tracks? How about mines?<span id='postcolor'>

Yes and yes. Going for the tracks is by far the easiest way to immobilise an MBT.

As Milkman said, there's a problem with the crew's Ak-47SU which causes the game to crash. Why change the crew's weapons anyway, the new textures on the gun look terrible!

The power of the 100mm gun is fine, but there is a problem with it which I can't believe no one has mentioned! The velocity must be terrible! When you try to fire at a vehicle about 200m+ away, the rounds fall short! You have to aim above the target to get the weapon to hit!

Despite these (major) problems I still really liked it, especially the version with ERA. Better textures, and a little more detail on the vehicles itself would be good. But still a very cool add on. But please fix the gun.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aneurysm @ Feb. 13 2003,09:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As Milkman said, there's a problem with the crew's Ak-47SU which causes the game to crash. Why change the crew's weapons anyway, the new textures on the gun look terrible!

The power of the 100mm gun is fine, but there is a problem with it which I can't believe no one has mentioned! The velocity must be terrible! When you try to fire at a vehicle about 200m+ away, the rounds fall short! You have to aim above the target to get the weapon to hit!

Despite these (major) problems I still really liked it, especially the version with ERA. Better textures, and a little more detail on the vehicles itself would be good. But still a very cool add on. But please fix the gun.<span id='postcolor'>

Umm... that's actually normal. You're supposed to aim above targets... shells drop over distance. However, you may have a point in that the shells drop really far, really fast. I don't know what the velocity of the 100mm rounds is supposed to be, but they seem a little too slow. I could be wrong.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hellfish6 @ Feb. 13 2003,17:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aneurysm @ Feb. 13 2003,09:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As Milkman said, there's a problem with the crew's Ak-47SU which causes the game to crash. Why change the crew's weapons anyway, the new textures on the gun look terrible!

Despite these (major) problems I still really liked it, especially the version with ERA. Better textures, and a little more detail on the vehicles itself would be good. But still a very cool add on. But please fix the gun.<span id='postcolor'>

Umm... that's actually normal. You're supposed to aim above targets... shells drop over distance. However, you may have a point in that the shells drop really far, really fast. I don't know what the velocity of the 100mm rounds is supposed to be, but they seem a little too slow. I could be wrong.<span id='postcolor'>

True about the drop of a shell...but not after 200 meters. A high velocity tank shell should shoot fairly flat out to a very long range.

I think that the problem he pointed out was a valid one.

With that said, I still think the cannon is overpowered. It destroys M1's with two hits. I think it would be better if it was toned down to be closer to the dammage the BIS made T-55 cannon causes.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">True about the drop of a shell...but not after 200 meters<span id='postcolor'>

Ok, i'll work about it. Some bugs i'm already fixed.

And bug with AKSU - i never have'nt this bug. Possibly it's yuor's PC's truble.